U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 AM
 
Location: Great Plains
25,584 posts, read 30,493,706 times
Reputation: 22713

Advertisements

I am guessing water pump or thermostat housing. The fix is easy once you gain access to it. That involves removing the radiator shroud, the radiator, and perhaps the alternator I can't really tell from the pictures.

Honestly taking it to a mechanic and having them do would be money well spent. Unless you have the time and tools and a good repair manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,617 posts, read 4,525,773 times
Reputation: 1203
Good advice: Don't worry. It will get worse. Then you will be able to find the leak when you're overheated on the side of the road.

Better advice: Don't worry. Take it to a shop and have the leak fixed. Then you will have a vehicle you could rely on.

Best advice: NEVER use any Fix-It-In-A-Bottle product for any reason. (There is one exception: you're driving it to the salvage yard.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
Reputation: 26822
I had a Subaru with a water coooled turbocharger that was leaking. Mechanics said it could nto be fixed. Put in a can of bars leak and it did no good. Then I put in four cans and it stopped leaking. Drive it for almost three years like that. I started leaking again, but not that badly. Traded the car in as a dealer for more than I paid for it. I told them about the bars leak, but they did not care.

I put it in another car wiht a leak and it sealed the leak and the car worked fine for seven more years untl the transmission died.

YEt antoher car it sealaed the leak (which I think was a head gasket, but i never found out), but it plugged up the thermostate (directions say to take the themostat out). A new thermostat was abotu $20 and then the car was fine for a while and then the new thermostat plugged up. Then another. After the first, I flushed the sstem ebfore installing anohter thremostat. Fouth time was a charm. Thermostat and bars leak plug outlasted the car. (Eingine caught on fire - not Bars leak fault).
I put it in another car and it did nto fix the leak, but it did plug up the heater core.

My brother put eggs in his radiator in an emergency situation and claims that they sealed the leak and the car ran on an egg seal for another five or six months, then he used bars leak and it worked for several years until the car was totaled.

I tried the head gasket bars leak in a van recently. I am not sure if it is any different, but it sure costs a lot. The way expensive stuff did nothing. If anything that leak seemed to get bigger after we tried it. We did not care since it was either fix it with bard leak or junk it. The car now has a prominent position in our local junk yard.

So hey, you have any reslt you want from fixed leaks to damaged the car and fixed nothing.

I use it, but only when the other option is to scrap the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
Reputation: 11465
In general coolant leak fix in a bottle is bad news as already explained here. The one thing I think that has been left out is if you have a radiator or heater core leaking, assuming you have only one small leak, consider that probably the rest of the core (heat exchange surface, the part between the tanks) is probably thin all over, so even if the "mechanic in a bottle" manages to fix the small leak today, how long till you have a leak big enough it won't be able to cope?

And then, yeah, this stuff does not have any brains, it goes everywhere, plugs up all sorts of small passages, this is less a problem with old Detroit Iron cars than newer ones.

A leaking seal like a water pump seal is very unlikely to be "cured" by this stuff.

It's also important to use the correct type of antifreeze, and to mix it with *distilled* water, and if you change that about every 2-3 years, you probably won't have any more corrosion-related leaks. Most neglect this but if you take care of it, as they say "it will take care of you".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times
Reputation: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
In general coolant leak fix in a bottle is bad news as already explained here. The one thing I think that has been left out is if you have a radiator or heater core leaking, assuming you have only one small leak, consider that probably the rest of the core (heat exchange surface, the part between the tanks) is probably thin all over, so even if the "mechanic in a bottle" manages to fix the small leak today, how long till you have a leak big enough it won't be able to cope?

And then, yeah, this stuff does not have any brains, it goes everywhere, plugs up all sorts of small passages, this is less a problem with old Detroit Iron cars than newer ones.

A leaking seal like a water pump seal is very unlikely to be "cured" by this stuff.

It's also important to use the correct type of antifreeze, and to mix it with *distilled* water, and if you change that about every 2-3 years, you probably won't have any more corrosion-related leaks. Most neglect this but if you take care of it, as they say "it will take care of you".
Well the leak has stopped, and I didn't even do anything...

This is what drives a novice mechanically minded person like me nuts...

I don't even do anything...and the leak stops all by itself...

Maybe colder tempuratures?

But I'm sure itll start leaking again when I lease want it to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 PM
 
Location: United State of Texas
1,708 posts, read 5,261,778 times
Reputation: 2095
Water pumps don't heal (provided that was your leak as earlier discussed). Check your coolant level right away. You may be very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
 
3,252 posts, read 6,059,372 times
Reputation: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I had a Subaru with a water coooled turbocharger that was leaking. Mechanics said it could nto be fixed. Put in a can of bars leak and it did no good. Then I put in four cans and it stopped leaking. Drive it for almost three years like that. I started leaking again, but not that badly. Traded the car in as a dealer for more than I paid for it. I told them about the bars leak, but they did not care.

I put it in another car wiht a leak and it sealed the leak and the car worked fine for seven more years untl the transmission died.

YEt antoher car it sealaed the leak (which I think was a head gasket, but i never found out), but it plugged up the thermostate (directions say to take the themostat out). A new thermostat was abotu $20 and then the car was fine for a while and then the new thermostat plugged up. Then another. After the first, I flushed the sstem ebfore installing anohter thremostat. Fouth time was a charm. Thermostat and bars leak plug outlasted the car. (Eingine caught on fire - not Bars leak fault).
I put it in another car and it did nto fix the leak, but it did plug up the heater core.

My brother put eggs in his radiator in an emergency situation and claims that they sealed the leak and the car ran on an egg seal for another five or six months, then he used bars leak and it worked for several years until the car was totaled.

I tried the head gasket bars leak in a van recently. I am not sure if it is any different, but it sure costs a lot. The way expensive stuff did nothing. If anything that leak seemed to get bigger after we tried it. We did not care since it was either fix it with bard leak or junk it. The car now has a prominent position in our local junk yard.

So hey, you have any reslt you want from fixed leaks to damaged the car and fixed nothing.

I use it, but only when the other option is to scrap the car.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I could read this post, but with the the number of typo's and sentences that are a mess, I think I need to be drunk first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 03:23 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Reputation: 29355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I could read this post, but with the the number of typo's and sentences that are a mess, I think I need to be drunk first.
So have a few drinks and try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh N. Hills / Houston-Clear Lake
8,156 posts, read 26,416,529 times
Reputation: 4395
That water pump looks awfully rusty. I'd also inspect the timing cover for the same type of rust or corrosion.

I had a coolant leak caused by a corroded timing cover once... that's a much more involved fix and once it's all opened up, might as well change the timing chain (or set) being that it's 10 yrs old and slap on a new water pump for good measure. Unless you plan on getting rid of the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times
Reputation: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That water pump looks awfully rusty. I'd also inspect the timing cover for the same type of rust or corrosion.

I had a coolant leak caused by a corroded timing cover once... that's a much more involved fix and once it's all opened up, might as well change the timing chain (or set) being that it's 10 yrs old and slap on a new water pump for good measure. Unless you plan on getting rid of the vehicle.
I ended up taking it to a shop and sure enough, you all on here are good...it was indeed the water pump...and now I got to go pick it up...

$185.00...labor and parts...when i get the reciept I'll break down what costs what...

I suppose I could of done it myself...but I would of had to buy more tools...

I now see why older yard dog type men would always say that everyone should buy an old beater upper car...and simply use it to learn how to work on parts, to change parts out ect ect...and if you happen to get it working...cool, if not...at least you will have learned a lot, and gotten over the intimidation of getting dirty, grimey and the fear of not being able to reasemble things...(probably peoples greatest fear, is taking something apart, and not being able to reassemble it properly)...

Anyhow, time to go pay the bill...$185 bucks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top