U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,425 times

Advertisements

Just registered to this site to specifically chime in on this. Waiting on my 4Runner to be finished being serviced now at the dealership. Previous owner had put this junk in probably before selling to dealer. '97 4Runner that runs like a top with only 120k on it. Was driving son back from a campus visit downstate when all hell broke loose on the road. Popping sound under the hood. Smoke from the rear. Pulled over to find the truck had vommitted all over itself. Had to have it towed.

Dealership mechanic just showed me the valve that blew. Had to replace the radiator and thermostat as well. That crap had turned into rock in there and the pressure just blew it like a cork.

Do Not Use this crap on your car! You got a leak, get it fixed. Was NOT fun waiting for tow truck in the rain for 45min on I39.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 03:10 PM

4,704 posts, read 4,819,572 times
1984 Chrysler Fifth Ave.

I owned a nice one.
I also purchased a parts car of same year for $400.00.
It had a small leak in the radiator.
I drove the parts car for 3 years as a daily driver.
Kept putting in Stop Leak in the radiator.

Three years out of a $400.00 parts car. Not bad.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 PM

147 posts, read 217,149 times
Stop Leak is only meant as a temporary repair. If you can, get the leak checked and repaired the right way. With that being said, I used it when I had a 1999 Ford F-150 truck and couldn't afford to get the radiator replaced. It stopped the leak but the radiator's performance in hot weather conditions was diminished and when the truck was under a load (especially when towing or idling in stop/go traffic), it would overheat. Eventually ended up replacing the radiator and both myself (and the truck) were better off.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:53 AM

16,476 posts, read 17,501,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Ok, I did my homework, filled coolant system up, started engine and waited...
I soon saw dripping leak under hood...so crawled underneath...and saw that it was dripping, leaking, from the bottom of this...
Not sure what it is...
Do you think seal needs replaceing?

What am I dealing with here?
What kind of repair cost?
I just want to know as much as I can before I go to the mechanic...
It's your water pump. It has a weep hole. If water comes out of it it needs replacement. There is no fix other than replacement. Pump is gonna run 100-140 bucks. Coolant gaskets and labor another 250 bucks . I would also replace the upper and lower radiator hoses along with the heater core hoses. It's not that much more.
You can buy the parts online and DIY if you're mechanically inclined.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:06 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,442,327 times
Put in it and then you'll be replacing the engine because it will stop up many water ports throughout the motor.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
1984 Chrysler Fifth Ave.

I owned a nice one.
I also purchased a parts car of same year for $400.00.
It had a small leak in the radiator.
I drove the parts car for 3 years as a daily driver.
Kept putting in Stop Leak in the radiator.

Three years out of a $400.00 parts car. Not bad.
Sounds like exactly the type of POS car this stuff was designed for. You got a beater that you want to run into the ground and not put a dime into then go for it.

Not only will this stuff plug up the coolant system like it did my car, but it will also leave deposits in the engine and result in issues down the road. My guess is that the previous owner of my truck ( who took very good care of it otherwise I might add, I can only hope they were just ignorant ) put this crap in before trade in to the dealer to hide the leak in the coolant system. Thanks bud!

Old 11-30-2015, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,331 times
My 1997 Pontiac Transport has been diagnosed with a leaking timing chain cover. Nearly a $1000. quote to fix.
Is there anything in a bottle that might fix this problem?

Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 AM

25,584 posts, read 30,493,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strunk01 View Post
My 1997 Pontiac Transport has been diagnosed with a leaking timing chain cover. Nearly a $1000. quote to fix.
Is there anything in a bottle that might fix this problem?
Nope.

A second opinion from a different mechanic would be a better bet.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
I hope I get a quick reply. I found I did have a leak in my plastic radiator in my 2001 Chrysler Town & Country Van. I don't have the money at this time to get a new radiator. What I want to ask is.. I see negative moments about Stop Leak but what if that's my only alternative? I have 2 small grandchildren to take back & forth to school daily. Appreciate any advice.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,600 times
I have a hole in my radiator, but I know where it is. I can see it. Is there anything that I can use to repair the radiator from the outside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or