Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM

164 posts, read 559,561 times

Advertisements

Twice a year I take my car to a local tire shop to have the snow/cold-weather tires switched out for the seasons. They used to let me get away with not switching the tire pressure monitoring sensors with the tires, but this last time they said that the government has been cracking down on shops like their's. They switched them for free this last time, but said they would have to charge for the next time. Anyone else encountered this? Anyway to get out of switching the sensors next time I take it in? Are they really cracking down on this, or are they just trying to get me to pay more for the service?
I realize it is a safety device, but I do check my tires every time I fill up the tank. TPMS is like curly fry light bulbs...save the world by possibly reminding someone to adequately inflate their tires and get slightly better gas mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
They are 100% full of it.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:07 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
By a spare set of wheels to mount your winter and summer tires.

They're full of it

Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM

164 posts, read 559,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

They're full of it
I do have the winter tires on their own wheels, so all they do is pop one set off and slap the other on. But i only have one set of sensors. What's even a bigger screw is the dealership wants almost $200 a wheel to install a whole new set of TPM sensors, so I wouldn't have to switch the one set out. That's not happening.
This spring I'll tell the tire place to take a hike and deal with the TPMS light on all summer.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:38 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
They aren't full of it. Under NHTSA 49 USC 30122(b), also known as the "make inoperative" provision a shop can be fined for knowingly making a TPMS system non-funtional. NHTSA answered several direct questions from the TIA (Tire Installers Association) about common scenarios and what is and is not a violation of the "make inoperative" provision.

One of the main scenarios addressed was a customer coming into a shop with an extra set of wheels/tire to be installed and the customer refuses to pay to have the OEM sensors swapped or pay for a new set of sensors for the extra wheels/tires. NHTSA responded that a shop would be violating the law if they performed such a swap, because doing so is essentially "purposefully making the TPMS inoperative".

Now, plenty of shops are either not aware of the provision or simply choose to ignore it. The risk of actually getting caught is exceedingly low. However, many shops are happy to use this as a way to generate additional revenue and these shops are following the letter of the law and NHTSA's clarifications. There is zero risk/liability to the owner of the car to do this and render the system inoperable, the provision only applies to the shops themselves. So basically, look around for a shop that is willing to do it. For the most part larger shops and national chains are going to be the ones most resistant to ignoring the law and will require that you "do it right", because they are obviously a much larger target for investigation and shops have been fined for failing to follow the provision.

More info and other scenarios describing when a shop is and isn't violating the law:

TIA and NHTSA Discuss Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
From article:

use the TPMS sensors from the original wheels

Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
They are 100% full of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

They're full of it
They're not full of it. Stupid and petty as it may sound, it is illegal to mount wheels without tire pressure monitors on a car that is factory-equipped with TPMS. Some, perhaps many, independent shops may not care or even know about this. But the big chain shops know about it and they are certainly covering their asses.

Unfortunately Badgergrl, there are only two solutions to your problem (or possibly three): one, pay to have the tire pressure monitors switched back and forth from each rim set with each switchover; two, get a second set of tire pressure monitors and have them programmed and mounted on your winter rims; or three, find another shop that still doesn't care.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
They aren't full of it. Under NHTSA 49 USC 30122(b), also known as the "make inoperative" provision a shop can be fined for knowingly making a TPMS system non-funtional. NHTSA answered several direct questions from the TIA (Tire Installers Association) about common scenarios and what is and is not a violation of the "make inoperative" provision.

One of the main scenarios addressed was a customer coming into a shop with an extra set of wheels/tire to be installed and the customer refuses to pay to have the OEM sensors swapped or pay for a new set of sensors for the extra wheels/tires. NHTSA responded that a shop would be violating the law if they performed such a swap, because doing so is essentially "purposefully making the TPMS inoperative".

Now, plenty of shops are either not aware of the provision or simply choose to ignore it. The risk of actually getting caught is exceedingly low. However, many shops are happy to use this as a way to generate additional revenue and these shops are following the letter of the law and NHTSA's clarifications. There is zero risk/liability to the owner of the car to do this and render the system inoperable, the provision only applies to the shops themselves. So basically, look around for a shop that is willing to do it. For the most part larger shops and national chains are going to be the ones most resistant to ignoring the law and will require that you "do it right", because they are obviously a much larger target for investigation and shops have been fined for failing to follow the provision.

More info and other scenarios describing when a shop is and isn't violating the law:

TIA and NHTSA Discuss Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
"or repair business reasonably believes the vehicle or equipment will not be used." If she checks her tires herself because we all know how cold winter air messes with air pressure and during the winter, the TPMS cannot be trusted.

The law is not actually very clear. All I see is a loose interpretation by NHTSA and TIA.

Poo would be hitting the fan real quick if a shop, not the NHTSA, but a shop "held" my car because of a broken sensor. I still dont buy it. I believe its more geared towards disabling TPMS via the ecm and other safety features. Just a bunch of fluff.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 AM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
I believe you can get extra set of TPMS sensors for $200 or less if you shop around. The extra set can be calibrated to the car pretty easily, it takes only a few minutes. I would use a professional tire shop to handle the tasks of installation and calibration.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Swap the wheels yourself. Not only won't you be hassled by the shop being a stickler for TPMS sensors... it won't cost you a dime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive