Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 PM

267 posts, read 722,195 times

Advertisements

here $3.69 to $3.79
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 10:24 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
$4.15. I have no idea what's wrong with LA. When I was leaving San Francisco Friday gas was 4.55... and that was a Shell stations downtown.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
I read an explanation (on Yahoo) of the current trend in gas prices- it said that Brent Sweet Crude (European/Asian) was priced significantly higher than West Texas Intermediate (North America). The upshot to this was that many of the older refineries in the country were only able to process Brent Sweet and so the East and Gulf Coast refining capacity was only at 60%, as these refineries were being widely shut down because the price of the imported stuff meant they lost money selling it to the domestic market. So overall we have a lot of refining capacity being unused; but the whole idea of how this works is a little hard (for me) to understand.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 AM

267 posts, read 722,195 times
neworleansisprettygood this link is easy to understand
CRUDE OIL PRICE: Oil | Energy | Petroleum | Oil Price | Crude Oil Charts | Oil Price Forecast

Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Lots of gas stations around LA are just a dime or two away from $5 per gallon.
Maybe for premium but not regular. I was also driving all over LA/OC this weekend (family in town) and the prices I saw ranged from $4.29 to $4.55 for regular.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Anybody but me prepared to do anything but whine?

Tuneup, anyone? How are your fuel filter, plugs, O2 sensor? Checked your tire pressure lately?

The old Scirocco is back in action, muffler repaired - 35-38 MPG ain't bad for a $1000 car.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Anybody but me prepared to do anything but whine? ...

The old Scirocco is back in action, ...

I'm right there with you BRO.. (VW Rabbits in daily action here (diesel of course) )

"check your neighbor's brier patch, I have got several for free that way"

50 mpg since 1976 ...

For the topic... I'm w/ jazz... There is LOTS that could be done TODAY for energy conservation / allocation / policy if we had a mind to do it. As we get sucked down the drain our options diminish.

I am FAR less concerned about MY fuel costs, than I am about employers, schools, counties, transit, trucking, farming... One place I worked during harvest used 300 gal / day of fuel,,, that much would take me 150,000 miles (seven trips around the world) EVERYDAY! Personal consumption is peanuts... I will make mine Peanut Oil

Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'm right there with you BRO.. (VW Rabbits in daily action here (diesel of course) )

For the topic... I'm w/ jazz... There is LOTS that could be done TODAY for energy conservation / allocation / policy if we had a mind to do it. As we get sucked down the drain our options diminish.

I am FAR less concerned about MY fuel costs, than I am about employers, schools, counties, transit, trucking, farming... One place I worked during harvest used 300 gal / day of fuel,,, that much would take me 150,000 miles (seven trips around the world) EVERYDAY! Personal consumption is peanuts... I will make mine Peanut Oil
Your last paragraph is also what I worry about. Today's Americans just can't or don't want to think about how completely reliant their entire lifestyle is on cheap oil--and the fact that it, no matter how much they wish it, is NOT going to stay cheap anymore. Bluntly put, we have based our whole lifestyle on a belief that oil would stay cheap and plentiful forever--in other words, an entire belief system, national economy, and living arrangement based on what is, ultimately, a lie. That never has a good outcome.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
Carburated cars like mine just arent good on mpg. Once my car is warmed up it runs good but its a boat. My cousin was suppose to checkout my carb, etc but he flaked out on me. I estimate my car is getting about 12 mpg & thats too low. Im suppose to get 15/19 with OD tranny. Go figure.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Anybody but me prepared to do anything but whine?

Tuneup, anyone? How are your fuel filter, plugs, O2 sensor? Checked your tire pressure lately?

The old Scirocco is back in action, muffler repaired - 35-38 MPG ain't bad for a $1000 car.
Motorcycle: 50 mpg
Bicycle: 10mpg (of urine)
Walking: roughly the same
4x4 Jeep: parked except during/after snow storms

I keep all my vehicles in top condition. And while I cannot control the price of gas, I can certainly control (to a large degree) how much I drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive