U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM

930 posts, read 818,513 times

Advertisements

M3 is right. On many cars, you about have to disassemble the entire dash to get at the core (says the guy who did 3 or 4 on Fox-body Mustangs....never again!) and its an all-day or multi-day job for the DIYer.....make that the LAST thing you check!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
And the hell of it is, generally even the factory shop manual does not have a good write-up on R&R of the heater core.

A leaky heater core is pretty much the auto mechanic's version of a root canal.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM

8,410 posts, read 9,239,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you are not getting heat from the heater, replacing the heater core is about the last thing I would look at, first I would check that the engine is warming up normally, make sure there is good flow on both the coolant and air sides of the heater, maybe clean it as Stealth suggests - but R&R of the heater core is not easy, go after the low-hanging fruit first IMHO.
I agree completely. Before I would pay to have the core replaced, or do it myself, I'd want a 100% guarantee that there is no other way to fix the problem whatsoever. I'd rule out everything else, based on all the good suggestion already posted, before I'd tackle that.

I'm no mechanic but can't the system be pressure tested to find a leak, if there is one? Pump it up and look for fluid?

Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
OP has a heater that does not heat the air so well. This could be a clogged heater core, and I have heard of them becoming so clogged that R&R is the only way out - but man I would try to flush it out, or just grin and bear it, assuming the engine is coming up to temp properly, and any valves associated with heat control are working right.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:23 PM

8,331 posts, read 10,509,655 times
Maybe its just a bad thermostat or clogged heater core.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 102 times
Default Heater not blowing hot air

My heater in my car is blowing not so hot air. I believe that I need to replace the heater core. Does anyone know how much it should really cost to have this replaced. I know that it is not an easy job. You have to pull the entire dash out before getting to the heater core.
My vehicle is a Ford Expedition 1998 . Thank you.[/quote]

Old 11-21-2014, 03:33 PM

1,593 posts, read 2,280,846 times
First, check your coolant levels (in both the radiator and the expansion tank).

Only check the radiator with the engine cold (meaning it hasn't been run in several hours) because the cooling system is (or should be) under pressure when the engine is at normal operating temperature.

If they're at the correct levels (radiator to the top, expansion tank between the upper and lower lines when the engine is cold), and you're still not getting heat, then please start a new topic so your question will be on the top of the thread.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 11-21-2014 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 08:52 AM

1,342 posts, read 671,505 times
Check the blend air doors first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive