U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM

14,023 posts, read 8,264,492 times
Default '04 Mitsubishi Lancer: No blinkers

My son's 04 Lancer's blinkers just quit working and nobody can figure out why. The hazards work just fine. He's replaced the fuze and even had it in a local shop and they can't fix it either.

Apparently, unless someone here knows something, he'll have to take it to a Mitsubishi dealer shop, the closest of which is 60 miles away.

Anybody had that problem or have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM

13,556 posts, read 13,291,613 times
You might want to check out the actual turn signal switch/module in the steering column. If the hazards work and the blinkers light up, the problem is going to almost always trace back to an issue in the actual column. Any decent local mechanic could fix this issue with a new part.

Unread 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You might want to check out the actual turn signal switch/module in the steering column. If the hazards work and the blinkers light up, the problem is going to almost always trace back to an issue in the actual column. Any decent local mechanic could fix this issue with a new part.
No, the blinkers don't light up. Also, I forgot to mention that only one speed on his wipers work and it too is operated by a lever on the other side of the steering column. I wonder if they could be related somehow?

Unread 01-12-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, the blinkers don't light up. Also, I forgot to mention that only one speed on his wipers work and it too is operated by a lever on the other side of the steering column. I wonder if they could be related somehow?
You said the hazard lights work just fine. They are the same lights that light up when you use the bliners. Hence, the bulbs, wiring and fuses to those lights are fine. I see where I may have confused that point.

This means that the issue is tied to the actual control module that activates the blinkers and that is generally part of the stalk itself, but I'm not 100% sure on a 2004 Lancer. The fact that the wipers aren't working properly either means that the issue is almost guaranteed to be tied to a control module, or the stalks themselves in the steering column.

This is a pretty simple fix in terms of taking off the column cover and replacing the stalks/module, but you may find it better off just taking it to a decent local mechanic to do as there are several wire connections that need to be made and the new parts need to be the proper ones.

Unread 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You said the hazard lights work just fine. They are the same lights that light up when you use the bliners. Hence, the bulbs, wiring and fuses to those lights are fine. I see where I may have confused that point.

This means that the issue is tied to the actual control module that activates the blinkers and that is generally part of the stalk itself, but I'm not 100% sure on a 2004 Lancer. The fact that the wipers aren't working properly either means that the issue is almost guaranteed to be tied to a control module, or the stalks themselves in the steering column.

This is a pretty simple fix in terms of taking off the column cover and replacing the stalks/module, but you may find it better off just taking it to a decent local mechanic to do as there are several wire connections that need to be made and the new parts need to be the proper ones.

Thanks. My son is contemplating doing that now, but is having trouble finding the parts without going through a dealer. Junk yard parts just don't exist.

Unread 01-13-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Thanks. My son is contemplating doing that now, but is having trouble finding the parts without going through a dealer. Junk yard parts just don't exist.
Parts Geek is your friend in these situations...

04 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Turn Signal Switch - Body Electrical - Standard Motor Products - PartsGeek

That one is for models with cruise control. The non-cruise is also available, but is almost double the cost (much rarer piece).

You can also find the wiper relay/stalk online pretty easily from autopartswarehouse. You may also be able to find both as an assembly together on Ebay off of a junked car.

Unread 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Parts Geek is your friend in these situations...

04 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Turn Signal Switch - Body Electrical - Standard Motor Products - PartsGeek

That one is for models with cruise control. The non-cruise is also available, but is almost double the cost (much rarer piece).

You can also find the wiper relay/stalk online pretty easily from autopartswarehouse. You may also be able to find both as an assembly together on Ebay off of a junked car.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive