Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul1957 View Post
In really light rain the product makes my wipers screech really loud.
Not good for light rain or low speeds. If the majority of you driving meets either of those conditions I don't recommend Rain-X.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
I remember rain-x being good years ago, and built it up in my head. So, a few months back I applied it, and I was pretty dissapointed. It worked good for a little bit but you have to apply it often for it to be affective. Maybe if I got more torrential downpours it would be worth the trouble of always applying it, but not worth it otherwise.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
It only works when it's a heavy downpour and while driving really fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul1957 View Post
In really light rain the product makes my wipers screech really loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Not good for light rain or low speeds. If the majority of you driving meets either of those conditions I don't recommend Rain-X.
Works great on my windshield at all speeds. And, never had any screeching. sounds like you have bad wipers.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Works great on my windshield at all speeds. And, never had any screeching. sounds like you have bad wipers.
Ya, agree. I found over the years that not all wipers liked Rain-X.
That may have changed with improved rubber/synthetic polymers used in today's blades, as I haven't had that problem for a few years now.

Yes, I forgot the headlights. They get their double dose too.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 531 times
I am noticing that the Rain-X works great on my 1994 Ranger windshield, but it doesn't have the same effect on the wife's 06 Ford Taurus windshield. Have they changed something in the making of the windshield from 94 to 06 or the Rain-X?

Old 02-04-2019, 11:49 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charper256 View Post
I am noticing that the Rain-X works great on my 1994 Ranger windshield, but it doesn't have the same effect on the wife's 06 Ford Taurus windshield. Have they changed something in the making of the windshield from 94 to 06 or the Rain-X?
Probably not. You might try cleaning the windshield more thoroughly, even to the point of using polishing compound (the very, very fine stuff, not the coarser rubbing compound) or a nylon scrub pad suitable for nonstick cookware. Then apply a new coat with care to get it complete and even.

New wipers make a big difference, too. I can't recommend splurging for Bosch Icons enough. Yes, they're about $40 a pair, but they deliver extraordinary performance across the weather spectrum for much longer than even the next tier down. Not much point in saving $10 if it means a longer period of declining performance, IMHO.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:56 PM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
I like the Bosch wiper bades, put Rain X in the truck and occasionally use the exterior Rain X winshield fluid. No complaints. Do remember to clean the inside of your winshild too as there is quite a bit of stuff that settles on it that can degrade visibility during night time driving conditions.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
I can see it if you do a a lot driving on the interstate at higher speeds it beads up on the window like it’s supposed to do,in the city where your at a crawl not so much, If you try and use your wipers all they do is make a lot of noise at low speeds.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:44 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I was thinking of using it on my new jeep. im seeing mixed comments about it being prone to streaking,hard to remove if it does and difficult to get off the wipers causing them to streak.

anyone find this?
I've used and loved Rain-X for at least 20 years. Yes, it does smudge when applied. One swipe of the wipers (either in the rain or using the "wash" function) clears the windshield perfectly. The trick here I guess is to use good blades and change them at a minimum annually. I think Bosch is the best, but I'm still testing. I bought Bosch Marathon for my wife's car. I'm using Trico Ultra but will likely go over to Bosch next December.

Any speed over 30-35 and the rain walks up the windshield, when aerodynamics overpowers gravity. If you have it on your side glass, the rain just walks toward the back of the car.

The thing about Rain-X vs wipers is that wipers just clean the windshield for that one second as they swipe. Rain-X keeps the windshield clear always. Now I find wipers distracting and am glad I hardly ever use them. They are a distant second place when it comes to overall visibility. To me the few minutes it takes to apply Rain-X is time well spent.

Good visibility is like good tires. Don't cheap out, whether on price or a few minutes labor. Good rubber is priceless in some circumstances, as is good visibility.

I never had a problem "removing" Rain-X. It will wear off soon enough. Great stuff.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 02-04-2019 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 07:52 PM

505 posts, read 846,924 times
I use the Rain-X orange washer fluid and it works great. I barely have to use my wipers on the highway since the water beads up and off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive