U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 AM

4,894 posts, read 4,807,577 times
Default Is High Mileage Engine Oil worth it?

Had my oil changed while I had to get a few repairs done on my 164K mi Civic a few weeks ago.. to my dismay, the mechanic put in High Mileage Oil instead of standard oil into my engine.

1) It seems the car idles more smoothly now and fuel economy has increased slightly.

2) I've heard that you must continue using High Mileage Oil if it's used once.. is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM

4,006 posts, read 12,755,889 times
In theory the oil should make little or no difference... a change in the viscosity used would be more noticeable. You can change type of oil at any time without a problem.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 PM

554 posts, read 843,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
In theory the oil should make little or no difference... a change in the viscosity used would be more noticeable. You can change type of oil at any time without a problem.
+1 High mileage oil is typically a little bit thicker and contains a different additive package than its standard counterpart. This will help stop minor leaks but you can switch back to regular oil or synthetic whenever you want just use the same weight. Honestly though I suspect the repairs are teh reason the car is running better but if the car also runs better on a certain type of oil then use it again.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM

5,799 posts, read 5,754,702 times
I run all my cars up close to or beyond 200K before I let them go, still running, when I get tired of them. I use the cheapest store brand oil I can buy and change the oil every 5-6K miles and have never had any engine problems due to lubrication whatsoever.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:18 PM

3,003 posts, read 7,779,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
+1 High mileage oil is typically a little bit thicker and contains a different additive package than its standard counterpart. This will help stop minor leaks but you can switch back to regular oil or synthetic whenever you want just use the same weight. Honestly though I suspect the repairs are teh reason the car is running better but if the car also runs better on a certain type of oil then use it again.
I've read that some manufacturers don't recommend using full synthetic if you have leaks. Not sure exactly why.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:23 PM

7,697 posts, read 17,678,111 times
I used full synth on an engine that had leaks and it seemed to exacerbate them. Still used it anyway, just checked the oil level weekly.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:20 PM

5,130 posts, read 4,446,317 times
As others have said, you can switch back to "regular" motor oil at any point, with no problem.

That being said, you haven't revealed very much that would tell us whether your engine can benefit from "high-mileage oil".

These products tend to have the following characteristics:

>If you have oil leakage problems, they contain ingredients designed to "swell" gaskets and seals that may have shrunken over the years.

>If you have gone for extended periods of time between oil changes, they contain high levels of detergent to "clean" the engine of deposits.
Specifically, these products can help to "free-up" piston rings that are clogged with damaging deposits.

So--please tell us the following:

Does your car "burn" (consume) oil?
If so, what is the rate of consumption?

Does your car leak oil?
If so, how often do you need to add oil to compensate for the leak?

What type of oil change regimen have you followed with this car?
That means both odometer miles AND elapsed time between oil changes.

How many miles do you drive each day?
Are these miles typically accumulated in one or two highway drives, or are they the result of a lot of short-trip local drives?

As you can see, your question requires specific answers from you, in order to be able to provide a valuable response.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:18 PM

4,894 posts, read 4,807,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
As others have said, you can switch back to "regular" motor oil at any point, with no problem.

That being said, you haven't revealed very much that would tell us whether your engine can benefit from "high-mileage oil".

These products tend to have the following characteristics:

>If you have oil leakage problems, they contain ingredients designed to "swell" gaskets and seals that may have shrunken over the years.

>If you have gone for extended periods of time between oil changes, they contain high levels of detergent to "clean" the engine of deposits.
Specifically, these products can help to "free-up" piston rings that are clogged with damaging deposits.

So--please tell us the following:

Does your car "burn" (consume) oil?
If so, what is the rate of consumption?

Does your car leak oil?
If so, how often do you need to add oil to compensate for the leak?

What type of oil change regimen have you followed with this car?
That means both odometer miles AND elapsed time between oil changes.

How many miles do you drive each day?
Are these miles typically accumulated in one or two highway drives, or are they the result of a lot of short-trip local drives?

As you can see, your question requires specific answers from you, in order to be able to provide a valuable response.
Don't think it's burning oil.

It's been leaking oil but very slightly.. I'll sometimes refill maybe 1/2 a quart of oil every 2000 or so miles to replace the leaked oil. I wouldn't have noticed until a mechanic pointed it out.

Oil change regimen - regular but not always consistent. Meaning I've gone as little as 3000 miles in between oil changes and as much as 5000 miles but my target is 4000 miles per change.

# of miles a day? Roughly 40 - 60 miles (this car's rarely driven on the weekends so about 900 - 1200 miles a month is typical.) About 3/4 of the miles are highway miles (since both my home and workplace are very close to the onramp and there's often but not always no traffic due to the reverse commute.)

Last edited by ragnarkar; 01-18-2012 at 05:27 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 PM

5,130 posts, read 4,446,317 times
If you only need to add ~ 1/2 qt of oil every 2k miles, you do not need high mileage motor oil!

That rate of consumption/leakage is excellent for a vehicle with as many miles on it as yours has.
In fact, the owners of many late-model Audis would be envious, as there are reports of oil consumption at the rate of ~1 qt every 600 miles on these cars. And...Audi Corporate informs these owners that this high rate of consumption is "normal" for their cars.

Continue to maintain the car as you have, and just use "regular" motor oil until you detect a high rate of consumption/leakage. Obviously, this means monitoring the dipstick frequently, just in case there is a sudden increase in oil usage.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,287,494 times
I firmly believe that high mileage engine oil is just another marketing tool.

Go read up over on www.Bobistheoilguy.com

Some good info there along with come outright nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive