Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:11 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,656 times

Advertisements

I am a new car salesman hire; I pretty much have down my "meet and greet", I just need a little help with "qualifying the buyer" and the "walk around" (vehicle presentation). My first and main question is can somebody help me out by providing me with some good qualifying questions I could ask the customer. Secondly, can somebody give me some scenarios of overcoming customer objections I could use. Maybe even some general tips on turning a shopper into a buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Learn your product knowledge first. Don't worry about trying to qualify or close yet. After you think you've got them on the right car and you get stuck, ask your sales manager for a TO/help.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:29 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
i was in the biz a couple decades ago, well before salaries, etc were offered. I can make a few basic suggestions that I'd follow today as well; though management can have different rules and guides they want you to follow.
--First off, treat each customer as you would be treated. If my wife and I walk into a dealer and we get some pushy salesperson (or on flip side have to chase someone down), we'll leave.
--When I had a couple come in, I always acknowledged the wife first. Regardless of who's making the final decision on a purchase I felt it was incorrect (and could easily cause a deal to be lost) if all one would do is talk to the man. And for us now, same thing--when a sales person assumes I want that sporty car (big mistake) and they dont even look at my wife, lost deal for them.
--While you can try to qualify someone, dont pre-judge them by appearances. I had "kids" walk in dressed like skater boys but end up purchasing new 3 series cars (and no not with parent's money). I've had service customers do more then just wander the floor while their car was in the garage, etc...
--Learn the cars you are selling. But when doing a walk around, present the features smoothly and make them sound like the customer would use and appreciate them. Nothing more boring then a talking head--one who can repeat the specs page of a brochure but cant answer any q's
-- I always kept in the back of my mind that there were other dealers selling the same car, and now anyone can get cost on the net so it should be the dealership, the service, and the sales person who tips the scales in or out of your favor.

anyhow just some suggestions, i'm sure you'll get others that may or may not agree but good luck in your area!

Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Learn your product knowledge first. Don't worry about trying to qualify or close yet. After you think you've got them on the right car and you get stuck, ask your sales manager for a TO/help.

It seems there is no way getting around haveing to learn product knowledge and it unfortunatly rather I know it well or not I was pushed onto the lot. I am expected to deal with customers at this time, and need to follow these steps to the sell...

Old 01-18-2012, 04:50 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,859,287 times
Well, if you don't know the car well be careful. Every time the salesperson would brag about the car and give BS explanations about stuff that was not true, I questioned his/her honesty. Know that for the most part the buyer today has done their research and know the car they are looking at.

Also as mentioned, don't think one can not buy the car because of their dress. I wear very casual clothing and my car shopping jeans are essentially the same ones I wear when I work on my cars. But I also pay all cash for every car that I buy. I hate to be given stupid credit and finance paperwork while waiting to close a deal. So far a few dealers have lost gone the deal go bad with me over this.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
It seems there is no way getting around haveing to learn product knowledge and it unfortunatly rather I know it well or not I was pushed onto the lot. I am expected to deal with customers at this time, and need to follow these steps to the sell...
yeah most dealers will do a manager turnover; even if it's nondescript, so i'd bet you can and will have help when it gets to be a struggle wiht a particular deal... after all no manager wants someone to walk without buying.

And frankly if you are at a place where there is little to no training and it's everyone for themselves; that will be a tough road to walk but hopefully some experience will get you the positive steps forward you need

Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
yeah most dealers will do a manager turnover; even if it's nondescript, so i'd bet you can and will have help when it gets to be a struggle wiht a particular deal... after all no manager wants someone to walk without buying.

And frankly if you are at a place where there is little to no training and it's everyone for themselves; that will be a tough road to walk but hopefully some experience will get you the positive steps forward you need
Maybe I can get that manager T/O when the deal comes to the desk but while outside and asking questions, showing a car, on test drive, its all up to me.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:16 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
I buy cars frequently, and the absolute # 1 thing I despise and will make me leave is when the salesperson makes it seem like they are doing me a favor to sell me a car.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I buy cars frequently, and the absolute # 1 thing I despise and will make me leave is when the salesperson makes it seem like they are doing me a favor to sell me a car.
Well, I am one car salesman that understands it is the customer who is doing me the favor.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I think a great way to qualify a customer is to ask simply: "How can I help you?"

If they say: "huh?" Then you can ask if they know about the features, or offer info on the pricing or availability. But usually a customer will attempt to qualify himself. He will answer: "I'm just looking around" or "I wanted to see these new models" or "I have to get a car for my son for college." All of these responses are positive opportunities to engage with the customer at his level and without pissing him off as others have warned against.

The thing that get me back out into the parking lot and driving away is the guy who says: "what will it take to get you to buy a car today?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive