Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:59 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,448 times

Advertisements

What is the big deal with the nitrogen filled tires.....I've heard it being used as a selling point in commercials. I know NASCAR uses it but, how much does it really help on a street car. As it is the atmosphere is almost all nitrogen any way....70 something percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,997 times
Here is a thread that was already open on the topic.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...our-tires.html

Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 PM

See that's what I get for wandering into an unknown forum for the first time and leaving a post. I'm going back to politics & controversies where I know my way around.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
Unlike traditional compressed air, nitrogen's pressure is fairly stable regardless of temperature changes. Regular compressed air filled tires can lose about two psi for every ten degree drop in outside air temperature. So let's say you filled your tires to 32 psi at 75 degrees. Few days later a strong cold front passes through and the morning low is 35 degrees. Your tires could be as low as 24 psi.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 PM

707 posts, read 687,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Unlike traditional compressed air, nitrogen's pressure is fairly stable regardless of temperature changes. Regular compressed air filled tires can lose about two psi for every ten degree drop in outside air temperature. So let's say you filled your tires to 32 psi at 75 degrees. Few days later a strong cold front passes through and the morning low is 35 degrees. Your tires could be as low as 24 psi.
I'm in a cold climate where temperatures can easily drop at least that much but I've never actually experienced that kind of change in tire pressure.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
I'm in a cold climate where temperatures can easily drop at least that much but I've never actually experienced that kind of change in tire pressure.
And how often do you check your tire pressures?Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure, Temperature Fluctuations

One article I found had said "about two psi". The above article states "about 1 psi". Another article stated one to two psi for every ten degree drop in temperature.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:54 AM

25,843 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Every year I go through the same thing. The temp drops below zero and my low tire pressure lights come on in my cars. Nitrogen would solve it. This fall I pumped my tires up 5psi over mfg recomendation and haven't had the problem this winter yet.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Been here done this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...our-tires.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-nitrogen.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...inflation.html

Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
I live where that swing happens on a fairly regular basis. I have NEVER seen that big of swing in tire pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Me neither. Not in 32 winters worth of driving in cold climates.

Quote:
And how often do you check your tire pressures?Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure, Temperature Fluctuations

One article I found had said "about two psi". The above article states "about 1 psi". Another article stated one to two psi for every ten degree drop in temperature.
I check them every week, 52 weeks a year. If going on a longer trip (200+ miles) I check them before I leave the driveway, no matter if it was the day before or 4 days since I last checked them.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM

So why do they need it in NASCAR, it's not like the temperature changes that much from one pit stop to the next one that they've changed tires during?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive