U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM

2,901 posts, read 2,008,313 times

Advertisements

I thought I would put this question out here just for fun. Can you think of vehicles that may have been targeted to one age group or demographic (older, younger, middle aged, college students, larger families, etc.) but the owners of these vehicles ended up being completely different than the group they were advertised to? Even if an ad campaign wasn't necessarily actively targeting a particular demographic, can you think of a particular make of vehicle that tended to be used by one demographic when it originally came out, but the consumer has changed over time?

One example that comes to mind for me is the Toyota Camry. In its earlier years, it seemed as if there was a more varied mix of people who drove these than today, when (at least through anecdotal observation) it seems that most drivers of these I see are older. I wonder the same about the vehicles that have the retro 1940's look, such as the PT Cruisers and Chevy HHRs, which may have been thought to have a certain coolness factor by looking different (though I don't particular care for the style itself although its better styled than a bland Camry). I seem to see mainly older people driving these.

Can anyone think of vehicles that are the opposite that may have been marketed or perceived to be more widely used by an older demographic but younger people have gravitated towards them more than expected? That's a little more difficult to think of, at least on a large scale outside of some customized examples like a Chevy Caprice. I'm just curious what examples people can think of that fit this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,702,253 times
Scion XB, another car I see many older people driving in my city.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,654,514 times
One that comes to my mind is the Kia Soul. This car has been actively marketed towards younger drivers, yet everyone that I pass on the road is driven by an older individual.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM

26,513 posts, read 62,899,137 times
Prius.

Was never meant to become the "gay" car.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,555,272 times
From what I was told a Subaru is a lesbian car? That was news to me, I told my wife and she scratched that off the list when we were looking for new vehicles.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,948,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Scion XB, another car I see many older people driving in my city.
Scions in genearl were marketed to young people and older demographics bought them. Older peopel buy more new cars than younger people anyhow, just due to having more buying power in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
From what I was told a Subaru is a lesbian car? That was news to me, I told my wife and she scratched that off the list when we were looking for new vehicles.
Why would she care? If it's a good car and a good match for what you want to do, why care what other people buy similar models?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,605,222 times
I have to say the PT Cruiser. It was aimed at a young demographic when it was introduced and it ended up being driven by those in their 50's, 60's and 70's.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,521,627 times
Quote:
First of all who are you listening to? Probably idiots. Only 2-3% of the female population is lesbian and I doubt they are a significant portion of Subaru drivers. Most of the Subarus I see are driven by the same kind of of people who drive Hondas, except Subarus have more bike racks on them. And the WRX cars are driven almost exclusively by young men.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,521,627 times
If Chrysler thought the PT would appeal to young people they were just dumb. The PT appeals strongly to older people who for some reason think it is cool to drive something that looks like a milk truck.

No one young drives a HHR either.

Honda expected the Element to sell to young, active people. There are definitely many cyclists, etc. that drive them, but many older people like them too for the roominess and practicality.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,277,384 times
Quote:
Never heard of Subaru being a lesbian car. The Prius is the ultimate, gay-man car though.

I was actually at a stoplight in Phoenix a few weeks ago and this bumper-stickered up Prius with all these "go green" "save the planet" stickers pulled up to me. There was most certainly a gay man driving it who had the rancor to flip me off because I was driving my F-150. I politely started revving my engine to spew as much Carbon Monoxide as possible to make up for his emissions as well as mine.

I wonder if the current-generation Ford Mustang was meant for the younger crowd but has become the vehicle of choice for 55+ males everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive