Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:19 PM

120 posts, read 669,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What's the difference in liability between a human-piloted vehicle being in an accident versus an autonomous vehicle being in an accident?
Is this a serious question?

1> You're driving a car at the speed limit of 60mph on a two lane highway. The car hits a puddle of water and hydroplanes, and in trying to keep the car on the road the driver over-corrects, then veers into the wrong lane and has a head on collision with another car. The passengers in the other vehicle are severely injured. Who is at fault?

2> You're riding in an autonomous car at the speed limit of 60mph on a two lane highway. The car hits a puddle of water and hydroplanes, and in trying to keep the car on the road the computer over-corrects, then veers into the wrong lane and has a head on collision with another car. The passengers in the other vehicle are severely injured. Who is at fault?

In a country that has warning labels on on hot coffee this isn't going to happen. If my examples didn't do it for you, tell me how you'd feel if you were a bus passenger and were held personally liable for damages caused by the bus driver's mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 04:08 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Gm already has a driverless cab type vehicle. They are working on putting them to use in a city in China. You call on your cell phone and the car comes to do. Get in and swimpe your credit card and tell it where you want to go and it takes you there. The car has no steering wheel, it is all electric and only good for short runs. It has only 2 wheels. Looks like a preying mantis head. If it works cabs in cities are going to be used only for long trips or trips outside the city.

They have a supposedly working model touring the car shows now. I am not certin what their launch date is for the China city experiment, but I was given the impression that it will be this year.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,194,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Google's had autonomous cars on the road for a few years in California. Most of the time they DO have a human driver in the car in case corrective action is needed, but they're only a failsafe at this point, they rarely ever have to intervene. You might not realize it, but the tech is already here, it's just being perfected now.
I need to see some proof of this operation of automated vehicles. Scott Rankin of Google is a friend of mine and he knows nothing of this. Obviously they have cars that are guided by GPS to tell a driver where to go in their Streetview camera setups... but none of the cars are automated.

Link or this never happened.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,986,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
This "tech" as you call it is still fantasy... just like flying cars.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...landing-in-us/

Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Is this a serious question?

1> You're driving a car at the speed limit of 60mph on a two lane highway. The car hits a puddle of water and hydroplanes, and in trying to keep the car on the road the driver over-corrects, then veers into the wrong lane and has a head on collision with another car. The passengers in the other vehicle are severely injured. Who is at fault?

2> You're riding in an autonomous car at the speed limit of 60mph on a two lane highway. The car hits a puddle of water and hydroplanes, and in trying to keep the car on the road the computer over-corrects, then veers into the wrong lane and has a head on collision with another car. The passengers in the other vehicle are severely injured. Who is at fault?

In a country that has warning labels on on hot coffee this isn't going to happen. If my examples didn't do it for you, tell me how you'd feel if you were a bus passenger and were held personally liable for damages caused by the bus driver's mistake?
Who's liable now, and why would that change?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM

664 posts, read 771,858 times
Quote:
So someone would be liable for any accidents in a car they weren't even driving? Is that what you're saying? Yeah, that sounds like something I want a part of.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
So someone would be liable for any accidents in a car they weren't even driving? Is that what you're saying? Yeah, that sounds like something I want a part of.
Do you expect to have no input whatsoever? No responsibility for the vehicle that you are ultimately in charge of? Are airline pilots absolved of what happens when the plane is on autopilot or are they expected to take charge with a situation develops?

If what you really want is near=absolution of all responsibility, rent a limo.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:56 PM

120 posts, read 669,432 times
Quote:
You're telling me that in situation #2, you think the insurance of the driverless car is going to pay out and call it a day? You don't think its at all likely that:

1> injured people/insurance will sue the manufacturer of the computer driving the car for damages

2> person driving the car will sue the manufacturer of the computer driving the car for damages

Again, if you were in a bus and the bus DRIVER made a mistake and caused an accident, who is at fault? The bus driver, or you, who was only a passenger? Of course, the bus driver (and by extension his place of employment since this is a work situation) is liable. Now replace "bus driver" with computer.

You're right though, the liability hasn't changed. The "driver" of the vehicle is liable, which is now a computer (and by extension the computer manufacturer). Ergo, you'd have to be nuts to manufacturer autonomous cars for regular people, because then you'd be liable for all their crashes!

If that doesn't make any sense... good job trolling me! :-D

Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,419,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I need to see some proof of this operation of automated vehicles. Scott Rankin of Google is a friend of mine and he knows nothing of this. Obviously they have cars that are guided by GPS to tell a driver where to go in their Streetview camera setups... but none of the cars are automated.

Link or this never happened.
Seriously? Go to google.com and search

Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,194,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
LOL!

Yip. Those will soon be in every driveway in America! Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive