U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 AM

8,711 posts, read 12,586,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It appears as though all the jobs that don't require a college education are drying up. There is more and more competition to get into college these days, in spite of the increasing cost. Hopefully, this will raise our educational standards, but what happens to the kids who don't continue with their education?
I think you have this reversed. Colleges are filing up with kids who have no business being there and they restudying things for which there are no jobs and when they get out they are doing jobs that do not or should not require college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,709,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think you have this reversed. Colleges are filing up with kids who have no business being there and they restudying things for which there are no jobs and when they get out they are doing jobs that do not or should not require college.
Maybe in the past, but things have changed. There are fewer kids majoring in basket weaving these days. Most are studying, trying to suit today's job market to pay back their loans.

Yes, I agree that a lot of those entry level or lower level jobs do not require college. When there are so many degreed persons applying because of the tight job market, college can easily become a requirement. I do like the idea of hiring someone with the powers of concentration and logic and tenacity that college encourages, not to mention language skills. Yes, many have atrocious language skills, but on the whole they are still better than your average non-college applicant.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,670,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This will solve a lot of freeway congestion in the future. You will be required to let the computer drive you to work during rush hours. The cars will stay in their lanes, make room for cars to merge and drive at safe speeds. Not cause problems like humans do. The freeways will be used to their capacity in a safe way.
Yes. Computers do nto tend to do stupid things becuase they are impatient. A computer is not going to pull right up on someone's bumper to "teach them a lesson" for merely driving the posted speed limit (or only driving 15 MPH ovr).

Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,670,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
hmm.. 3 pages and no one even thinks about how this will effect the economy. taxis, busses, etc, if they are replaced by robots (cars taht drive themselves) means taxi drivers will be out of work, times that with how many cities there are in america, and its not a good outcome.

one might say, oh this doesnt affect me, im not a taxi driver, but it makes it harder for your children in the future to find a job, if taxi drivers cant find work, they will look for another field.

By this logic,we should still be building roads with wheelbarrows becasue it provides more jobs. Wjat happens when new technology eliminates jobs? People go do other things and the economy adjusts.

Taxi drivers can go make batteries for the automated cars. They can wash the cars, they can become tour guides (although that will soon be automated as well), they can become health care workers (since people will live longer, we will need more people to take car of old people).

Old 01-31-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
By this logic,we should still be building roads with wheelbarrows becasue it provides more jobs. Wjat happens when new technology eliminates jobs? People go do other things and the economy adjusts.

Taxi drivers can go make batteries for the automated cars. They can wash the cars, they can become tour guides (although that will soon be automated as well), they can become health care workers (since people will live longer, we will need more people to take car of old people).
Computers have eliminated more jobs than they create - what, a company here hires a few more technicians and engineers and all of the assembly jobs go overseas.

There is an entire level of society that is being made redundant. We are, right now, starting an underclass of unemployed or extremely low level workers who eventually would love to have those 'jobs Americans don't want'.

Yes, there are a lot of people going to college who would not have several years ago. They just want some sort of future. I think it is becoming more important that you went to the right schools and/or have advanced degrees, too.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe in the past, but things have changed. There are fewer kids majoring in basket weaving these days. Most are studying, trying to suit today's job market to pay back their loans.

Yes, I agree that a lot of those entry level or lower level jobs do not require college. When there are so many degreed persons applying because of the tight job market, college can easily become a requirement. I do like the idea of hiring someone with the powers of concentration and logic and tenacity that college encourages, not to mention language skills. Yes, many have atrocious language skills, but on the whole they are still better than your average non-college applicant.

You need to re-think this.

First, millions of technical jobs have been outsourced overseas. Everything from mechanical engineering to computer software to reading MRI's. Second, cutting staff jobs is a lot easier than production jobs, in all fields.

Sure, they are not taking basket weaving, but they are taking women's studies, black history, political science, elementary education, journalism, etc. none of which will result in jobs. And, they graduate and go to work at Fridays or Olive Garden or volunteer as interns or move back with mom and dad.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
You need to re-think this.

First, millions of technical jobs have been outsourced overseas. Everything from mechanical engineering to computer software to reading MRI's. Second, cutting staff jobs is a lot easier than production jobs, in all fields.

Sure, they are not taking basket weaving, but they are taking women's studies, black history, political science, elementary education, journalism, etc. none of which will result in jobs. And, they graduate and go to work at Fridays or Olive Garden or volunteer as interns or move back with mom and dad.
there's no hope

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM

50,191 posts, read 42,730,647 times
Quote:
you sure have that right: Our granddaughter who btw is very bright and did go to college on almost a full ride, ended up graduating and taking a job as a receptionist first (job market) then she got a much better job, but still feels what she was doing could be done by anyone with any offiec skills. Now, she has decided to go back and become a dental hygenist. I think part of the reason, she wants a job that requires real skills and not something anyone who can answer the phone and use a computer can do.

Oh, that isn't the only reason she wants to be a hygenist, but I do know she thinks her 4 year college education was wasted and does think too many people are in college that don't belong there.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you sure have that right: Our granddaughter who btw is very bright and did go to college on almost a full ride, ended up graduating and taking a job as a receptionist first (job market) then she got a much better job, but still feels what she was doing could be done by anyone with any offiec skills. Now, she has decided to go back and become a dental hygenist. I think part of the reason, she wants a job that requires real skills and not something anyone who can answer the phone and use a computer can do.

Oh, that isn't the only reason she wants to be a hygenist, but I do know she thinks her 4 year college education was wasted and does think too many people are in college that don't belong there.
That's a good choice. Dental hygiene cannot be outsourced to India (except for Indians).

Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM

13,692 posts, read 17,705,108 times
Quote:
Computers have eliminated more jobs than they create - what, a company here hires a few more technicians and engineers and all of the assembly jobs go overseas.

There is an entire level of society that is being made redundant. We are, right now, starting an underclass of unemployed or extremely low level workers who eventually would love to have those 'jobs Americans don't want'.

Yes, there are a lot of people going to college who would not have several years ago. They just want some sort of future. I think it is becoming more important that you went to the right schools and/or have advanced degrees, too.
I actually agree with Wilson on this. I went to a very well regarded university and when I think about what I do and see the people around me that I work with, the collective thought is that our educations are somewhat wasted, especially those of us who went to top tier schools. Not that the endeavor wasn't entirely worthwhile in terms of personal growth, but in terms of job skills it is.

I work in the transportation field and see every day the immense need for skilled mechanics, especially in the diesel world. Still though, no one, especially the education system, outright encourages their kids to go to technical schools even if they have an aptitude and desire to do it. College is seen as the "proper and better" course even if the legions of liberal arts majors we produce at our universities are lucky to get a job making $30k a year when they graduate. The guy wearing the grease covered shop uniform that people see as "uneducated" is probably making 2-3 times what the average college grad is making, yet that's not a "good career choice".

I look at how the system works in Europe and they equally encourage skilled trades as well as college. In the US, we put forward only one path that is deemed "succesful" and that is college. I would actually say we have too many going to college these days and it's encouraged because college is first and foremost a business. The entire "college education" in order to land a job has also been propagated by the HR folks at companies, they are generally the ones who earned their philosophy degree and then realized it didn't relate to anything practical in the corporate world. The irony is that so many companies now requiring BA's just for entry-level workers often have executives and owners that never stepped foot in a college.

Look at books like the "Millionaire Next Door" and it becomes painfully obvious that the path to true "success" in America is often tied to skill trades and otherwise blue collar industries. There are more millionaire plumbers, roofers, mechanics and janitors then there are millionaire investment bankers.

I just think we are doing our kids a disservice by only offering them one means in order for them to be succesful. The basic fact is that the most growth oriented and succesful industries over the next 20 years are going to be in skilled trades and healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive