U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 PM

3,226 posts, read 2,983,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
A barrel of oil is 42 gallons. The amount of gasoline that can be distilled from crude depends on where the crude is obtained. Venezuelan crude yields little gasoline (about 5%), whereas Texas or Arabian crude yields about 30% gasoline. This is called "straight run" gasoline. However, the distilled components of the crude oil can be further processed into gasoline by various other methods (catalytic and thermal cracking, hydrocracking, catalytic reforming, alkylation, and polymerization) to yield even more gasoline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Conversion

Cracking and rearranging molecules takes a heavy, low-valued feedstock often itself the output from an earlier process and change it into lighter, higher-valued output such as gasoline. This is where refining's fanciest footwork takes place where fractions from the distillation towers are transformed into streams (intermediate components) that eventually become finished products.
The most widely used conversion method is called cracking because it uses heat and pressure to "crack" heavy hydrocarbon molecules into lighter ones. A cracking unit consists of one or more tall, thick-walled, bullet-shaped reactors and a network of furnaces, heat exchangers, and other vessels.
Cracking and coking are not the only forms of conversion. Other refinery processes, instead of splitting molecules, rearrange them to add value.
Alkylation, for example, makes gasoline components by combining some of the gaseous byproducts of cracking. The process, which essentially is cracking in reverse, takes place in a series of large, horizontal vessels and tall, skinny towers that loom above other refinery structures.
Reforming uses heat, moderate pressure, and catalysts to turn naphtha, a light, relatively low-value fraction, into high-octane gasoline components.

If you save 1 billion gallons of gasoline, how many barrels of oil does that translate into?

There are 42 gallons of oil in an oil barrel, so I first thought that there would then be 42 gallons of gasoline in a barrel as well. But as I looked into it it quickly became more complicated that that.

Oil is complex mixture of hydrocarbons (mostly alkanes) of various lengths of which only some are of the length that make up gasoline. It is also turned into diesel fuel, jet fuel, solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, and plastics. Since gasoline doesn't make up the whole barrel, it then seemed like a good idea to figure out what percentage of the barrel was turned into gasoline.

About 10% of the product of the distillation of crude oil is a fraction known as straight-run gasoline. That would mean that a barrel of oil would produce 4.2 gallons of gasoline. It also depends on the type of oil, as Venezuelan crude yields little gasoline (about 5%), whereas Texas or Arabian crude yields about 30% gasoline.

Given the differences I took a look at what the average barrel of oil produces. American Petroleum Institute reports that 1 barrel of oil produced 19.4 gallons of gasoline per barrel based on average yields for U.S. refineries in 2000.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice direct lift from: Chevron in Canada - Conversion: Cracking and Rearranging Molecules to Add Value

Another nice direct lift: Fat Knowledge: How Many Gallons of Gasoline in a Barrel of Oil?

Another nice direct lift from: Oil to Gasoline (unless your name is Bob Erck)

Please don't just spew quotes from other web pages. It makes us all yawn. (and you may be performing copyright infringement).

Please add some value. Cutting and pasting from other web sites is a bore.

I'll let you talk to my FIL, as he is a petroleum engineer, and has been doing this for 40 years.
My initial statement still stands true. All the gibberish you have stated above (while true) has nothing to do with my statement.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 PM

4,466 posts, read 5,187,521 times
Seems evident that anything regarding the topic has already been said in this thread.
Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive