U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 PM

327 posts, read 782,027 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that I've never purchased a car from a dealer. Every car I've ever owned up until this point has been paid with cash on the barrelhead, maintained, serviced, etc...by me. This worked just fine when I was single and drove a simple pickup truck. Fast forward to marriage, a dog, a baby, etc...and we need one of those practical "family cars." Not only do we need that, with cars the way they are nowadays, I wouldn't take a chance doing too much maintenance myself beyond basic stuff. Plus I just don't have the time to pull a transmission or change out an alternator myself if something goes wrong. Therefore I want a warranty, so, not being the types to waste money on a new car, we decided to go certified pre-owned. With that, we sucked it up and walked into a dealer showroom last night after researching and settling on a used vehicle to purchase.

From the get go we were pressured toward a new car-"no thanks, I just want to look at the one I saw in the ad." What immediately struck me was the air of superiority and pretentiousness. Who really buys into all of that? The guys in the showroom all walk around like they're candidates for sainthood in some bizarre form of religion. You should have seen the look I got when I politely stated that I had no desire to purchase something (new) for way too much money only to have it depreciate thousands as soon as I sign the paperwork. Once it was clear that we weren't going to be bamboozled into that they begrudgingly brought the vehicle out. It was what we needed-V6, 4WD, three rows of seats. The sales drone went on and on about cupholders, the backup sensor, satellite radio, and other useless nonsense. Then I asked him whether the warranty had a deductible-"oh no-you just bring the car in if something goes wrong-no out of pocket costs!" "Oh really?" I said-"then this must be a mistake on the window sticker" (pointing to where it clearly said DEALER PAYS 100% OF PARTS, 100% OF LABOR-$50 DEDUCTIBLE PER REPAIR)-"oh...he said-I'll have to ask my manager." That clown really took the cake. The other thing that is beyond comprehension is how little this guy knew about the vehicle in terms of towing capacity, gear ratios, parts interchangeability with other similar models, etc...he sure knew where all the cupholders were though

So we test drive it, head back to the showroom, and sit down for what was the most ridiculous circus I've ever witnessed. The sticker price on the vehicle was $20950. From the research I've been doing, dealers haven't been paying a dime over $16K on these things at trade-in. This is a high volume dealership so I'll bet they paid even less. I lowballed at $17K, expecting to be song-and-danced up to $18,500 or so, which is what I was willing to pay. You might have thought I punched the guy in the gut the way he looked at me. Here comes the pretentiousness..."We have to run a business here! We can't sell cars at a loss!!!" He stopped short of "How dare you sir!!!" I calmly explained that at $18,500 they would be making $2500 (or maybe more) on the car, and another $3K on the financing since we would be financing through them and taking a longer term to keep the payment low. After huffing and puffing like he was going to blow my house down he brought in "THE MANAGER." For some reason at a car dealership THE MANAGER is elevated to a position somewhere between the Pope and Jesus Christ-which is ironic since he seems to resemble Beelzebub most of the time. Then there he was-in a suit worth more than my first car, cufflinks that could fund a small revolution in some Sub-Saharan African nation, and a plastic smile that Stevie Wonder could see. For some reason he never asked me to kiss one of his many rings Seriously-what is with the expensive penguin suits at these places? I'm coming in to buy four wheels and an engine to get me from point A to point B. Business casual will do.

"Well he said-(the salespeople all trembled as if God himself had just thundered the words) let's see if we can't make a deal?" I explained that I thought nearly $6K in profit was enough for everybody to go home happy. Boy was that the wrong thing to say I'm pretty sure they would have burned me at the stake for heresy had they been able to gather enough twigs, a long pole, and some rope. After they offered us the vehicle for $350 A MONTH saying that was their "best deal" we got up and walked out. The look of surprise on their faces was worth the waste of two hours. Its amazing to me that they just expected us to roll over and say "gee Sir, we're sure sorry we tried to look out for our own financial well being-well golly we'll take it for $350 a month!" The self importance of these people is unparalleled. What do they think makes them worthy of such reverence? I'm pretty sure car dealership personnel have never cured cancer, defended our freedom overseas, or solved any major societal problems-they just sling transportation machines for a living. It boggles the mind...

Oh and by the way, we found an identical vehicle at a dealership about 30 miles away for $18,500. I think after we purchase it I'll take a ride over to dealership number one in it just to say hello
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM

3,312 posts, read 12,122,946 times
All I can say is it's great to have a friend in the car business. I haven't gone through that routine in nearly 30 years.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,986,211 times
LOL, great post man. Good dealers are hard to find, but they are out there.

These bad dealers treat everyone like a sucker since 8/10 people are suckers when buying cars. Why sell it to you for $18,500 when some schmoe will buy it for $20,500 within the next 3 weeks?

The high end dealerships have professionals running the show and you tend to get much better service.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM

17,579 posts, read 37,768,306 times
Seems like standard stuff. I'm guessing you spent a lot more time thinking about this after you left than they spent thinking about you.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:51 PM

327 posts, read 782,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Seems like standard stuff.
Which is utterly silly when you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm guessing you spent a lot more time thinking about this after you left than they spent thinking about you.
Oh come on...its called satire, lighten up-furthermore my Google Voice Mailbox would say otherwise Seems they can't wait to get me back in, so I e-mailed them the other listing I found today. We'll see...

Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM

8,818 posts, read 15,296,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
I calmly explained that at $18,500 they would be making $2500 (or maybe more) on the car, and another $3K on the financing since we would be financing through them and taking a longer term to keep the payment low.
When you finance through a dealership, they aren't financing the car themselves. They simply broker the deal through a bank and are paid a commission; it used to be around 1%, but with the lower rates nowadays it may be less than that. So if you had financed at $18,500 the dealership would have made $185 at most on the financing, not $3000.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM

17,579 posts, read 37,768,306 times
You just seemed to be pretty worked up over it. Maybe I took it the wrong way.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:33 PM

1,649 posts, read 3,005,507 times
I love how they like to lure you in with the monthly payment scheme, trying to hide the real cost of the car.
They love to ask how much you want to pay per month.
And probably more people than not fall for it.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:35 PM

1,649 posts, read 3,005,507 times
BTW, reminds me of this classic scene from Fargo.

fargo salesman - YouTube

Old 01-31-2012, 03:57 PM

3,581 posts, read 8,900,953 times
A number of years ago I was told a story about buying a new truck by a co-worker. This man was cowed by his wife and was willing to admit he was deathly afraid of her. She held a doctorate in psychology and was tenured at a local university while he did temp work in the computer trade.

He got permission to buy a truck and after they decided what he would get, she told him how much he could pay and sent him out to find it. He found a dealer that had a truck in stock with almost all the features desired. She went to the dealer to finalize the deal.

The poor salesman did his best to try to sell her the truck as is, explaining some of the features were not normally installed at the dealerships and it would cost them more to order a vehicle with everything on her list.

She did not budge. She calmly explained the truck she was willing to buy was this specific color with these specific features. She was willing to pay the final price as detailed on the specifications page they had provided the salesman. He could make the deal or not as he chose.

He called his manager, who soon called the dealership owner. They agreed to her terms and would order the truck.

A few days later, however, the salesman called to relay the sad news that the factory could not provide one of the features at the agreed price and the vehicle would cost an additions $300 and change. The wife said "No". and hung up. The salesman called back to explain and was curtly informed they had a written contract and he would fulfill it, and was hung up on again.

The management chain was once again involved with the same effectiveness as before and they agreed to eat the cost difference.

Finally the truck is delivered to the dealership and the happy couple is called to take delivery. They arrive and inspect the vehicle only to find that one of the features has been substituted with an aftermarket version. Hubby is unconcerned with the substitution, but wifey is irate and explains to the manager that they have violated the terms of the contract and she wishes them to return the truck to the factory or exchange the feature for the factory version. The manager explains they cannot do that since it was a customer ordered vehicle and the factory version is no longer available.

She considers the situation and decides they can accept the aftermarket feature as long as the dealer includes an addon feature that will enable it to function similarly as the factory version. The manager agrees and starts to add the cost of the new feature to the contract when he is informed that since he unilaterally substituted features, he can eat the upgrade cost as well. The manager refuses and she gets up and walks out the door.

Well, Hubby is super frustrated as the upgrade cost is under $50 and he wants the truck he has been waiting 4 months for. Wifey, however is unmoved.

The salesman, the manager and the owner spend the next five weeks calling to get them to come pick up their truck, each time the wife asks if they have agreed to sell it at the original price with the upgraded feature. The dealership owner is unwilling to budge either.

A couple more weeks later, the salesman calls to tell them the truck is ready at the price she demands with all the features discussed including the upgraded addon feature. When they show up to sign the paperwork, the local sales tax rate has gone up a half percent due to some new bus districts. Guess what? Right. She refuses to sign because her price was a walk out the door price and she did not cause the delays that permitted the dealerships cost to increase.

It only took 15 minutes for the owner to write a check to cover the increased sales tax to permit the sale to finalize and hubby had his new truck, a mere 6 months after he got permission to buy it.

He did say that the when his wife asked about the new models of sedans coming out there was nobody in the dealership willing to take her on a test drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive