U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 PM

417 posts, read 477,639 times
Default Need Help On Exhaust Muffler Choice

SLP loud Mouths Vs Race bullets
Which exhaust will be louder and retain a better tone. lets say both cars (Internally Stock Single Cam 5.0's), have headers (long or short), with an o/r X or H pipe with either Dyno Max Race bullets or SLP LM1 resonator dumped at the rear axle.

I was wondering because just saw some videos of 5.0 foxbodys using SLP LM1's and it blew me away. I want to know how do race bullets compare, so I would like certain characteristics of each muffler . Here are two videos, in the 1st video the car has complete intake w/BBK longtubes and o/r x pipe. 2nd video has BBK Shorty Headers and BBK o/r H. Both cars have SLP LM1's and I belive they are stock.

Side Note: How close do the car's in these video sound too real life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev-KU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd_Cr...eature=related
Thanks!

Last edited by Mister Miaugie; 02-05-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 03:49 PM

8 posts, read 4,146 times
Get the SLP Loud Mouth. I tried a race bullet, and it sounds like it has a hole in the muffler it's not what you are looking for.

sidenote: From past experience don't take youtube for a good source. The camera is right up on the exhaust and can make any exhaust sound loud.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 PM

417 posts, read 477,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlife View Post
Get the SLP Loud Mouth. I tried a race bullet, and it sounds like it has a hole in the muffler it's not what you are looking for.

sidenote: From past experience don't take youtube for a good source. The camera is right up on the exhaust and can make any exhaust sound loud.
How loud was your car, what was your exhaust setup, was your engine built, and what car was it?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 AM

8,413 posts, read 8,000,952 times
I used Youtube for research when buying exhausts for both my vehicles. Since not all the videos have the camera close to the exhaust, that really isn't an issue. Just find the same vehicle you have, with as close to the same mods you have, and listen to a bunch of different videos. At the least you can rule out some exhausts. There should be hundreds if not thousands of 5.0 vids.

"Better" is 100% relative to the individual. Overall I'm a fan of Magnaflow, and I have them on both vehicles, but there are other exhausts I like also. SLP is very popular on late model GTOs like mine, but that doesn't mean they will sound the same on your car.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 AM
PDD

5,743 posts, read 5,498,513 times
I think you will get more info on these sites,
Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
SVTPerformance - Powered by vBulletin

Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 PM

761 posts, read 722,104 times
Both will be extremely loud. You might like it at first but get tired of it pretty quickly.

If the motor is basically stock you will see very little benifit in going to either one of these muffles. A decent pair of 2-1/2 magnaflows will work fine to about 400hp and you'll be able to talk inside the car.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM

4,214 posts, read 11,277,009 times
I cant say on the SLP exhaust.

The race bullets, presuming you're referring to the Dynomax race bullets, from what I've heard, only take the edge off of the sound of open headers, and are designed for race classes that require a muffler.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 AM

15,820 posts, read 29,850,172 times
Get a fart bubbler muffler. It will make you really cool. Even if you are not cool at all, with a fart bubbler, yu will be Tom Cruise! Girls will jump off the curb to get into your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive