U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,577,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Some of the confusion on the badging comes from the fact that Hyundai does not market the Genesis and Equus in Korea as "Hyundai" they are "Genesis" and "Equus", not really separate brands like Lexus is to Toyota, but they are treated as their own micro brand, partly necessitated by the fact that Hyundai has something like 75% market share in Korea, so they can afford a little GM-esque branding. Internationally Hyundai decided to sell them as the Hyundai Genesis and Hyundai Equus do to the issues/cost in creating separate dealer channels.

A lot of people and even dealers replace the "H" badges on US-spec Genesis and Equus with the appropriate Korean market badging. A quick google search will turn up hundreds of threads about people wanting to buy the badges. I see one Equus every morning and it has the winged horse badge on the rear, not the "H" and a guy in my development has a Genesis that he replaced the "H" on. That of course doesn't mean anything about Hyundai not wanting the badge on the car, they were happy to put it there in the US. However, you may be just as likely to see one without a "H" badge as you are to see one with it, the way they are getting swapped.

Korean Genesis:

Korean Equus:
Is it just me or does that Genesis logo look familiar to a Bentley logo?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,138,347 times
My daughter and her huband have a 2009 Veracruise and a 2001 Ford Escape. The escape has 250,000 km on it and has had less problems in it's entire life than the Veracruise has had in it's first 50,000km. The service they have recieved from Hyundai has been just terrinle and they don't seem to be able to fix their own vehicles. No matter how cheap they sell them, I for one will not be buying one.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,290,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Is it just me or does that Genesis logo look familiar to a Bentley logo?
You mean like the Chrysler/Minicooper logo and countless of other logos?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,290,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Umm, what?

I think the 2010+ Kia Optima bites its styling off of the 2008+ Jaguar XF.

Which specific vehicle are you reffering to?

You do realize that these cars look nothing alike? (Except for having four doors and both obviously being cars).

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM

10,485 posts, read 22,554,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
After a lifetime of making some of the worst cars on the market that only appealed to people who never heard the phrase, you get what you pay for, they come out with some cars which provide an admittedly nice first impression.

But how does that relate to Hyundai's biggest problem? Reliability? You can put as many bells and whistles into a car as you want, but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with reliability, and with their track record, I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing bits and pieces of these things falling off after about 50k miles.

Of course, maybe they won't, but all this, they are as good as the leaders in dependability talk, where is that coming from? Based on what? Wanting to justify your gamble that Hyundai has gotten its **** together does not mean the cars have any data to back up your claims.

And again, this is from a company that pretty much has never made a good car. The best thing they've ever made was the previous generation Sonata, which was the most bland, generic, average car ever. Average to mediocre is what Hyundai has always done, and their is no evidence that these new cars will be anything else.

But if you want to be an early adopter of the New Hyundai, by all means, but until the new Hyundai get's a few notches under it's belt, I don't understand all these as good as Honda and Toyota claims.

Oh, and since when were Honda or Toyota ever known for their innovative styling? That's not what appeals in a commuter car. Doesn't matter how good your car looks if it's always in the shop.
I believe the newer Hyundai's are just as reliable as the newer Honda's and Toyota's. The reason being is that the quality of the newer Honda's and Toyota's has gone way down to Hyundai's level, not that Hyundai's have gotten more reliable.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,019,849 times
I was ready to buy a Honda Accord EXL but now after reading all the great reviews about Hyundai, I may get an Elantra instead!!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I was ready to buy a Honda Accord EXL but now after reading all the great reviews about Hyundai, I may get an Elantra instead!!
Are you sure you're interested in the Elantra? The Elantra is in the same class as the Honda Civic; Hyundai's class-equivalent to the Accord is the Sonata.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:52 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,104,729 times
I almost bought a '11 Elantra Limited but ended up getting a '11 Kia Optima EX for $22k.

The Elantra is a nice car but no power driver seat and no auto climate control turned me off.

After my lease is up, I'm going to get a new Subaru Impreza Limited, 30/36MPG and the best AWD system. I love my Optima but I miss AWD here in the mountains.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 PM

8,509 posts, read 11,388,578 times
people want value and long term reliability isn't a major factor when it comes to that. Look at the sales that Toyota had shortly after the "unintended acceleration" investigations began. They were doign anything they could to keep people buying, and buy people still did... safety first? No... money first. They didn't find anything wrong with the accelerators, but that was much later.

As for the Sonata - they beat out the Accord/Camry as #1 quite a few years back. Are they still up there on the reliability list?

Last edited by ovi8; 03-10-2012 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,019,849 times
I am looking at the Sonata and Elantra..i know the Sonata is the same class as Honda Accord, but actually thought of getting the Civic but the reviews are so lukewarm that I will either go with the Accord (which I agree is a bit boring) or the Elantra..the Sonata may be bigger but its also more $$. Elantra seems the right size for me (I love sporty, nimble cars).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or