U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2012, 03:28 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,605,728 times
Ask Consumer Reports, they love Toyota
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM

5,247 posts, read 2,251,076 times
The Elantra isn't a 'sporty' car by any means, and Hyundai can't make them (or the Sonata) fast enough.

However, given the atrocious reviews for the Cruze (brisk sales notwithstanding), as well as its horrendously inflated price tag as detailed in recent issues of both Motor Trend & Automobile Magazine ($6,000-$8,000 higher than the Elantra), small wonder that Hyundai is doing very nicely these days.

I have a 2007 Elantra which I purchased new for $4,500 under sticker; I now have over 51K miles on it, and it's been flawless.

FWIW, Hyundai has had their logo on the back of the Genesis since the 2009 model year.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,218,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
You can put as many bells and whistles into a car as you want, but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with reliability, and with their track record, I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing bits and pieces of these things falling off after about 50k miles.
My father in law has over 150k on a Hyundai he brought 3 years ago and nothing is falling off the car. He drives ALOT for work, so it's running OK for him, just tires, brakes and timing belt so far. Not sure if they same can be said if someone drove it 150k over 10 years it would hold up as well.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM

13,569 posts, read 16,431,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The Elantra isn't a 'sporty' car by any means, and Hyundai can't make them (or the Sonata) fast enough.

However, given the atrocious reviews for the Cruze (brisk sales notwithstanding), as well as its horrendously inflated price tag as detailed in recent issues of both Motor Trend & Automobile Magazine ($6,000-$8,000 higher than the Elantra), small wonder that Hyundai is doing very nicely these days.

I have a 2007 Elantra which I purchased new for $4,500 under sticker; I now have over 51K miles on it, and it's been flawless.

FWIW, Hyundai has had their logo on the back of the Genesis since the 2009 model year.
You keep repeating this price differential as if it was true. A FULLY loaded Elantra comes in right at $24,000 MSRP. A FULLY loaded Cruze comes in at $26,000 MSRP. That is a difference of $2,000, not the $6k-$8k you keep claiming. There is a price difference, but not a massive one and the Chevy is larger and has more equipment at that price point.

Again on the topic of the Cruze reviews, they were only horrendous in the articles you picked out. Other reviews from those same publications were glowing about it and the Focus at first. This isn't a knock on the Elantra, it's one of the better small cars out there, but you need to get your facts straight.

Also, on your car, it doesn't matter how much you paid "under sticker" it matters how much you paid. If you were shopping here in NJ it would be rather humorous as our Hyundai dealers love to place "dealer prices" on the cars and then run some crazy gimmicks like giving people $5k cash back when they buy them. Getting $4,500 off a dealer sticker is pretty much still getting screwed.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM

236 posts, read 205,544 times
the TV and 100.000 mile power-train warranties make for alot of hype... as do the "paid spots" in consumer reports magazines. On TV and on paper it's nice and looks all good but down out in the field is a different story. Almost everyone knows the truth about Hyundai via word of mouth even though the TV keeps telling otherwise...

Once at the dealer one finds that nothing is covered under warranty because you basically have to take it back to the dealer for every oil change pretty much to get anywhere near anything covered under warranty... and trust me, when the service advisor tells you a certain part is under warranty and they are going to take care of it (at that point when you are at the counter determining the costs) you better believe you are still paying for it somehow in that estimate (nothing is free).

Honda blows the pants off Hyundai and if someone tells you otherwise then they like around 80% of Americans have all their misinformation from the television and radio... Hyundai is not talked about like Honda's are down here in the real world.

Hyundai has come a long way but it is still one of the cheapest cars for a reason... at least we don't have a million Yugo's on the road that I have to work on! that is one company Hyundai did beat out.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,495,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
the TV and 100.000 mile power-train warranties make for alot of hype... as do the "paid spots" in consumer reports magazines. On TV and on paper it's nice and looks all good but down out in the field is a different story. Almost everyone knows the truth about Hyundai via word of mouth even though the TV keeps telling otherwise...

Once at the dealer one finds that nothing is covered under warranty because you basically have to take it back to the dealer for every oil change pretty much to get anywhere near anything covered under warranty... and trust me, when the service advisor tells you a certain part is under warranty and they are going to take care of it (at that point when you are at the counter determining the costs) you better believe you are still paying for it somehow in that estimate (nothing is free).

Honda blows the pants off Hyundai and if someone tells you otherwise then they like around 80% of Americans have all their misinformation from the television and radio... Hyundai is not talked about like Honda's are down here in the real world.

Hyundai has come a long way but it is still one of the cheapest cars for a reason... at least we don't have a million Yugo's on the road that I have to work on! that is one company Hyundai did beat out.
Yes, but how do you explain the fact that Hyundai is beating the pants off Honda in terms of current consumer rankings and even won N.A Car of the Year? How do you explain the fact that people who are driving Hyundais since 2006 or so, have stated their cars are still going strong and have not required visits to any mechanics or reported major problems?Even Toyota has slipped with that sudden acceleration issue..The reviews all say Honda has fallen asleep at the wheel since 2006 by not issuing new designs on their Civics..Heck, I can attest to that with my own Civic. Every time I drive that thing, I can hear every other car on the road and feel every bump on the road!! The 2012 design doesnt veer that much from the 2006 design either..Thats pretty sad IMO.

The only thing I can see Honda winning over Hyundai is the horsepower. Seems like Civics have the great "get up and go" feeling when you drive. With the Sonata/Elantra - its like you have to push your foot down REAL hard on the gas pedal to make it go anywhere..I dunno. I think the jury is still out on this...

Old 03-12-2012, 01:11 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,664,918 times
I've owned two Toyota's and one Honda. Currently I drive a Hyundai Sonata. Not only does it drive smoother, but it's quieter on the highway than the other two. Far less wind noise.

I've owned it for two years and have had no problems with it whatsoever. More than I can say for the other two.

Plus, it was cheaper than the Accord (4-cylinder) I owned, and gives me more bang for the buck. Like a 6-cylinder.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,495,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I've owned two Toyota's and one Honda. Currently I drive a Hyundai Sonata. Not only does it drive smoother, but it's quieter on the highway than the other two. Far less wind noise.

I've owned it for two years and have had no problems with it whatsoever. More than I can say for the other two.

Plus, it was cheaper than the Accord (4-cylinder) I owned, and gives me more bang for the buck. Like a 6-cylinder.
I owned a 2005 Corolla before it got totalled in an accident. I liked that car - the only reason I refuse to buy another Corolla or Camry is because I think the interior dashboard is just downright fugly.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 PM

13,569 posts, read 16,431,255 times
Quote:
Yes, but how do you explain the fact that Hyundai is beating the pants off Honda in terms of current consumer rankings and even won N.A Car of the Year?
Hyundai is winning these kinds of things, not based on their reliabiltiy or anything hard, but the fact that the brand is continuing to advance in terms of content and design. Honda is very stale right now, Hyundai is all new and shiny. It doesn't mean Hyundais are great and Honda are bad when it comes to the technical aspects, it just means Hyundai is currently more interesting.

Quote:
How do you explain the fact that people who are driving Hyundais since 2006 or so, have stated their cars are still going strong and have not required visits to any mechanics or reported major problems? Even Toyota has slipped with that sudden acceleration issue..
This is all anecdotal evidence. I posted the actual numbers here from JD Power or in another one of these threads. Hyundai is doing well in terms of reliability, about as well as Ford and a couple of ticks above Chevy, but they are still not to the same levels as Honda and especially Toyota. They've come a long way, but if we are just talking abour reliability, no other mainstream brands are even close to what Honda and Toyota are doing.

Quote:
The reviews all say Honda has fallen asleep at the wheel since 2006 by not issuing new designs on their Civics..Heck, I can attest to that with my own Civic. Every time I drive that thing, I can hear every other car on the road and feel every bump on the road!! The 2012 design doesnt veer that much from the 2006 design either..Thats pretty sad IMO.
Honda has fallen asleep in terms of design and innovation. That doesn't mean they build a bad or unreiable car, it just means they aren't as innovative or competitive as other brands that are out there. It all comes down to what you want to consider more important. Hyundai is now a solid mainstream brand. Their styling and features are innovative. Their reliability is pretty much average to slightly above average. For the person who values long term reliabiltiy above all else, Honda and Toyota are still the safer bets. For the folks who don't keep their cars forever Hyundai has a lot to offer.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:04 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,664,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I owned a 2005 Corolla before it got totalled in an accident. I liked that car - the only reason I refuse to buy another Corolla or Camry is because I think the interior dashboard is just downright fugly.
The Accord I owned had more squeaks in the dash than the floors in the Munster family home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive