U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,444,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I've owned two Toyota's and one Honda. Currently I drive a Hyundai Sonata. Not only does it drive smoother, but it's quieter on the highway than the other two. Far less wind noise.

I've owned it for two years and have had no problems with it whatsoever. More than I can say for the other two.

Plus, it was cheaper than the Accord (4-cylinder) I owned, and gives me more bang for the buck. Like a 6-cylinder.
What were the years and models of your vehicles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,773,984 times
You don't have to like a Hyundai but they make far better engines than the Toyotas. Toyota has been on this kick that the oil is a primary coolant in their designs. Anyone with a 3.0 V6 can pretty much tell you how much crap that is with the non-stop sludge issues. Toyota quietly replaced over 250,000 of these crapola engines because of the coking at the cam bearings caused the cam to break. Things haven't changed much even with the newer engines. Hyundai also has their 5.0 V8 on the Wards Ten Best engines in the world list. You might also want to know that in the early days Hyundai was getting engine technology from Chrysler and Mitsubishi, but the tables are now turned and the Hyundai Company is now supplying them with technology. I remember many years back when the first Hondas came out. What a POS!. Rarely did one make it to 50,000 miles....and they were cheap. Things change and they've changed quick at Hyundai.
And as far as warranty, my girl, on her own, bought a Hyundai Accent. A major econobox in my book. But after 96,000 trouble free miles one of the O2 sensors died. They not only replaced the O2 sensor under warranty, they changed the spark plugs too as they were worn. Cost her about 8 hours of not having the car...and it was washed and cleaned when she got it back. She's now in an Altima that her soon to be just had have her buy and she hates it. She'll be going back to a Hyundai as soon as she's not upside down in the Altima.
Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: Tau 5.0L DOHC V-8 | News & Analysis content from WardsAuto

Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 PM

5,101 posts, read 1,978,374 times
The fact that Honda will be rush-releasing a new Civic to market next year tells you all you need to know about how underwhelming the 2012 edition was.

In a fiercely competitive market segment with the Elantra, Corolla & Focus abd a few other cars, Honda definitely has their work cut out for them.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,361,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
What were the years and models of your vehicles?
2002 Sienna. 2004 Camry. 2007 Accord.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 PM

6,176 posts, read 3,061,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
After a lifetime of making some of the worst cars on the market that only appealed to people who never heard the phrase, you get what you pay for, they come out with some cars which provide an admittedly nice first impression.

But how does that relate to Hyundai's biggest problem? Reliability? You can put as many bells and whistles into a car as you want, but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with reliability, and with their track record, I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing bits and pieces of these things falling off after about 50k miles.

Of course, maybe they won't, but all this, they are as good as the leaders in dependability talk, where is that coming from? Based on what? Wanting to justify your gamble that Hyundai has gotten its **** together does not mean the cars have any data to back up your claims.

And again, this is from a company that pretty much has never made a good car. The best thing they've ever made was the previous generation Sonata, which was the most bland, generic, average car ever. Average to mediocre is what Hyundai has always done, and their is no evidence that these new cars will be anything else.

But if you want to be an early adopter of the New Hyundai, by all means, but until the new Hyundai get's a few notches under it's belt, I don't understand all these as good as Honda and Toyota claims.

Oh, and since when were Honda or Toyota ever known for their innovative styling? That's not what appeals in a commuter car. Doesn't matter how good your car looks if it's always in the shop.
How about this fellow? Chung Mong Koo Chung Mong-koo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM

13,569 posts, read 14,786,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You don't have to like a Hyundai but they make far better engines than the Toyotas. Toyota has been on this kick that the oil is a primary coolant in their designs. Anyone with a 3.0 V6 can pretty much tell you how much crap that is with the non-stop sludge issues. Toyota quietly replaced over 250,000 of these crapola engines because of the coking at the cam bearings caused the cam to break. Things haven't changed much even with the newer engines. Hyundai also has their 5.0 V8 on the Wards Ten Best engines in the world list. You might also want to know that in the early days Hyundai was getting engine technology from Chrysler and Mitsubishi, but the tables are now turned and the Hyundai Company is now supplying them with technology. I remember many years back when the first Hondas came out. What a POS!. Rarely did one make it to 50,000 miles....and they were cheap. Things change and they've changed quick at Hyundai.
And as far as warranty, my girl, on her own, bought a Hyundai Accent. A major econobox in my book. But after 96,000 trouble free miles one of the O2 sensors died. They not only replaced the O2 sensor under warranty, they changed the spark plugs too as they were worn. Cost her about 8 hours of not having the car...and it was washed and cleaned when she got it back. She's now in an Altima that her soon to be just had have her buy and she hates it. She'll be going back to a Hyundai as soon as she's not upside down in the Altima.
Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: Tau 5.0L DOHC V-8 | News & Analysis content from WardsAuto
...and Audi, BMW/MINI, Chrsyler, Ford, GM and....Nissan also have engines on the 10 Best List.

Also, the Hyundai/Chrsyler/Mitsubishi joint venture was known as GEMA. It started in 2004 with production beginning in 2005. Each company jointly developed the basic designs and then modified them for their own use. In 2009 Chrysler bought out Mitsubishi and Hyundai's stake in the company. GEMA still provides engines to Mitsu and Hyundai through 2012, but the entire venture is now solely owned by Chrysler, with the exception being the South Korean plant which is owned by Hyundai.

The basis for the GEMA World Engine was the Hyundai developed Theta motor. This basic design was then modified using technology and patents owned by Chrysler and Mitsubishi that revolved around emissions systems and fueling. So, while the basic GEMA design was Hyundai, the tech transfer was actually from Chrysler and Mitsubishi who both desperately needed a next gen 4 cylinder engine, about as desperately as Hyundai needed the intellectual property the others had.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 PM

236 posts, read 187,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Yes, but how do you explain the fact that Hyundai is beating the pants off Honda in terms of current consumer rankings
consumer rankings are paid for... Honda does not have to pay for advertising like they used to I am sure. Walk through any shop usa (even a Hyundai dealer) and ask the guys who work on them how they feel about it. (Honda/Toyota would be possibly 95% of your votes)

most like me would equate Hyundai to the Yugo of our day.

Last edited by Cosmic Artifact; 03-13-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 PM

236 posts, read 187,262 times
Honda I believe holds more patents than any auto manufacturer for the most invention by one company in the related field... a leader and developer of high technology, others get their ideas and implementations from them. Honda alot of time introduces their new technology on their motorcycles because it is cheaper to produce, most all of the new technology you are going to see on the cars of tomorrow you will most likely see on the motorcycles of today and the much more present future.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 AM

6,233 posts, read 3,444,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
2002 Sienna. 2004 Camry. 2007 Accord.
Comparing a Sonota to a minivan is a bit of a mis-match. Most people compare vehicles in like classes. Likewise it is more common to compare the same model year. You never mentioned the year of your Sonota, but I am guessing it is not a 2004 or a 2007, and that cars from either of those model years would be better comparisons than a 2010 or so model compared to a 2004 model. Otherwise this seems to be a case of recency bias.

Last edited by iknowftbll; 03-14-2012 at 12:51 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 AM

8,555 posts, read 14,819,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You don't have to like a Hyundai but they make far better engines than the Toyotas.
I find that very hard to believe. I have never seen a Hyundai 4 cylinder engine with over 200k miles on it (I have seen Toyotas with over 300k).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive