U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 AM

6,269 posts, read 4,115,879 times
Default Why is 100,000K the magic number?

I just always hear about 100,000 miles being thrown around as the breaking point for many things.
Why not 200,000K?

Also,because I'm hitting 100,000 soon on my 2007 kia,and I'm wondering if that is the breaking point, should I brace myself for major repairs like transmisson,engine repairs?

Sorry,one last thing. Can someone tell me what's the difference between "highway miles" and local driving miles through the streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,195,079 times
It's not anymore. It used to be but many cars nowadays can run up past 200k. At 100k, most cars should get some sort of tune-up or maintenance done. You won't have any trouble with that as long as you keep your car maintained regardless of mileage. Just understand cars nowadays are better build than before which is why you see many used cars (4-5 to 12 years) being sold for more.

Highway miles is used to indicate that sellers of that car would always drive it on the highway because it doesn't hurt the car as much as city driving would.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 AM

596 posts, read 729,959 times
I agree it's not anymore. Interesting enough that in Europe they used to say the same thing with 100 000 KM
So I think it was more of a trick to do repairs or push down the price on a vehicle.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 AM

7,995 posts, read 15,575,362 times
100K miles used to the point that most cars starting having major problems. For the most part, that is no longer true--at least for well-built reliable models given proper maintenance. For those, 200K miles without major problems is certainly possible.

That said, stop-and-go short trip city driving are the hardest miles on a vehicle. It can cut the life of the vehicle--especially things like engine and transmission--by half. So, a vehicle driving mostly on the highway may be running strong at 200K, while an identical model driven only in city driving may be almost worn out at 100K miles.

I generally drive my vehicles to at least 130K to 150K miles before selling them. I've had some unreliable models that I've sold at lower miles just because I could see that they were going to give me problems. A lot of people criticize Consumer Reports vehicle ratings, but their reliability ratings of vehicles, which are based on data reported by people actually owning and driving those vehicles, I've found to be pretty accurate and fairly predictive of whether or not a particular vehicle model is going to "go the distance" without major problems.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 AM

3,870 posts, read 5,017,434 times
That depends, have you done all the maintenance that is lined out in your owners manual or did you just add gas and change the oil?

It also depends on the quality of the vehicle you start with.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 AM

565 posts, read 1,030,817 times
Simply addressing the "highway" mile issue.

GENERALLY....Highway miles are considered to be easier on a vehicle than "stop and go", such as city use.

Consider, When traveling on an unrestricted low traffic interstate, a vehicle will be bought up to speed and might stay there for hours at a time.

Therefor, the accelerations forces on the drive train will only occur with minimal forces while maintaining a speed.

Likewise, in city driving, brakes get a much harder workout. Between stop signs, traffic lights and cross traffic, brakes are used with high frequency on city driving.

Similarly, on my same mythical interstate, with cruise control, you might not touch your brakes for extended periods of time, thereby providing almost unheard of distances between brake pad replacement.

Lastly, by way of practical example...Think back to being a child and riding a bicycle.

When starting out from a stop, you had to pedal much harder causing more strain than when "cruising" along a flat piece of roadway.

These same forces and strains occur in a motor vehicle, simply at much higher levels due to weight and speed.

There are certainly other issues, but hopefully you get the point, steady speed driving is much less harmful on a vehicle, rather than constant changes in speed and direction encountered in local driving conditions.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM

8,859 posts, read 15,813,912 times
Not sure how many Kia's make it to 200k.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM

12,568 posts, read 12,558,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Not sure how many Kia's make it to 200k.
At 15,000 miles per year, it will take 13 years to reach 200,000 miles. Kia's history in the US is rather short (started in 1994, just 18 years ago), and it didn't start well. But modern Kias are popular, get good reviews, and I bet we see many with high mileage.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM

5,818 posts, read 5,989,591 times
200,000 is the new 100,000.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 AM

6,099 posts, read 5,079,160 times
There was a day when 100K miles was an engineering target for the lifespan of components by some manufacturers.

I have a feeling all automakers benchmark lifespans beyond that (not that every part will make it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive