Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Depends..... I've seen engines with main bearing noises last quite awhile.
Yeah but a broken rod banging around isn't going to last long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Oftentimes the rod knocking can just be a wrist pin in one of the piston assemblies. If that is what it is a decent shade tree mechanic can SOMETIMES fix it just by replacing the rod and piston in that cylinder. If the problems was a manufacturing defect in the rod & piston just replace it. If the problem was caused by lack of lubrication the cause must be found and fixed. That could get expensive. Most shops don't want to mess with something like this--- they just install a replacement engine instead of trying to solve the problem cheaply.
Just personal observations from fifty plus years of shade tree experience.

GL2

Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Told ya so!
Just what did you tell us, Tightwad?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,401 times
I have a 2005 Suzuki SUV with a V-6 engine. It has 183,000 miles. It has been well cared for and always by the same mechanic. It is in fantastic condition. The knocking noise is not severe and it is not constant. Some days I will start is and it will run maybe all day and there is no noise. Then the next day it will come back. I recognize that with that kind of milage it does not owe me anything. But with the condition it is in I hate to "dump It" and I don't know if a dealer will give anything on a trade. What do you think??? Thanks, Lynn

Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunktrapper View Post
I have a 2005 Suzuki SUV with a V-6 engine. It has 183,000 miles. It has been well cared for and always by the same mechanic. It is in fantastic condition. The knocking noise is not severe and it is not constant. Some days I will start is and it will run maybe all day and there is no noise. Then the next day it will come back. I recognize that with that kind of milage it does not owe me anything. But with the condition it is in I hate to "dump It" and I don't know if a dealer will give anything on a trade. What do you think??? Thanks, Lynn
Car is 8 soon to be 9 years old and closing in on 200K miles......dealer is going to give you "rough book" anyway whether or not the knock is happening but you might do better to trade in on a "non knock" day.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I bought a junker with a pretty ratty engine.....slap and clank at startup.

I have done 2 oil changes.....each time I put some sort of flush in the crank about 200 miles before the oil change......unbelievable how much quieter the thing runs.....even at startup. I have been driving it for a year now.....no major problems....and yes I do baby it.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
The funniest scene in The Blues Brothers is when the Bluesmobile throws a rod during the police chase in Chicago.
Elwood:" Uh Oh. We've thrown a rod."
Jake: "Is that bad?"
Elwood: " Yeah."
Then with oil spewing onto the windshield and smoke billowing from under the hood, Elwood sticks his head out the window to steer( doing in excess of 100 MPH) and Jake climbs onto the windshield and tries to wipe the oil off with his sleeve.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,299 times
I have a 2004 Isuzu ascender.... I cranked it up this morning and my car was making a loud noise.... The fan is a little loose but I have driven 8,000 miles on it without changing the oil... I looked today and it had no oil so I opened the hood and poured oil inside the motor and the oil thing under the hood started smoking..... Wheh i bought the car april 27, 2015 the isuzu had just had an oil change.... What does that indicate?

Old 09-27-2015, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,027 times
I have a '96 Ford Taurus with 149,000 that i bought for $300
Because they said the engine knocked but only whenn1st starting
and becuase thw gasket was going, and that IT WAS FIXABLE.
Well come to find out its the engine. When i test drove it, it was
PERFECT...but now that i bought it, its like a whole diff. Car
the car from MANY people looking and listening to it, has
ROD KNOCK. Now 1 of my mechanic buddies said i COULD
do an oil change with some 20-50 oil and throw some Lucus
into it also to help quiet and maybe help it last a little longer.
Does that sound right?? And would it help?.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:57 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
skimed thru the whole post, in my younger days ran a many a whoptie into the ground and consider myself sumwhat of a expert, lol. Funny after reading everyones post allison7786 came up with the correct answer. You know the old taurus is a junker, thicken up the oil a bit, then throw sum honey on top, lol. Used to run junkers like this for a few years, get tired of them, blow them up then get another. Always had a spare on standby thou, lol.

On a side note, bought a 71 mercury cougar w/a 351 Cleveland in it from a older lady who sold it cheap because the engine was knockin so bad. Course me in my early 20's drove it like I stole it which was exactly what the motor needed as it stoped knockin and purred like a kity kat until I ran it off the road, threw a ditch, took out a few hundred feet of fence line and came to a stop at the powerline pole, lol.

Last edited by waitingtundra; 09-27-2015 at 05:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive