U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:41 AM

86 posts, read 103,682 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYleKxjl0uY

Diagnosed a bad connecting rod bearing real quick after watching this video. I used the screw driver trick which indicated a bad rod bearing and then pulled oil pan to verify with 100% certainty. This method saved me so much time + money in finding my problem. Hope it helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 01:36 PM

9,125 posts, read 5,681,850 times
That all depends. It is a roll of the dice for sure. Some rod knocks are bearing related, where the rod is just hammering the bearing out others are a bent rod and the noise is rod contacting the block.

Years ago , our shop van had a 4.6 in it. It had the bearing related knock, because it would go away under throttle. It lasted a whole summer of us knuckleheads driving it around in 2nd gear trying to blow it up.

Again years ago, I hydrolocked my Dakota's v6 running it thru a river. It bent the rod, and it was contacting the block. I drove that truck home 300 miles and then for another month before I replaced the short block.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 400 times
I have a 82 Tercel . The guy I got it from said that he ran the car out of oil he didn’t run it too far after he figured there was no oil in it and he started hearing a light tap. The car runs good it does have a increasing tapping sound during acceleration but during deceleration the tapping goes down immensely. I was just wondering how far do you think I can get if I don’t have the money to go and replace the motor or fix the main rod bearing. Thoughts on what I should do.I also have an 87 prelude and I was wondering if there was anyway that I could swap the motor from the 87 prelude into the 82 Tercel?

Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 AM

276 posts, read 107,743 times
When your oil pressure goes to 0 it's toast

Old 05-09-2018, 03:36 AM

1 posts, read 206 times
Hello my car is making crankshaft knock, can i drive it like that?

Old 05-09-2018, 10:06 AM

9,125 posts, read 5,681,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
To help you understand clearly.........can you run with a badly broken leg?

The car is disabled with an engine that is now toast.

Many years ago I swamped a Dodge Dakota with a V6, hydro locked the motor. I got towed out, pulled the spark plugs and turned it over until all the water was out and fired it back up. It ran , but with a loud knock. I drove it 270 miles home from where I was , and for another 3 weeks. The knock was the bent rod hitting the pan rail.

Now in a different scenario, had a rod bearing been gone, then the motor would not last. So it all depends on what kind of damage there is. A friend had an old Ford pickup that rattled so bad one thought it was going to explode at any moment. You could grab the crank pulley and push/pull it what seemed like an 1/8th of an inch.. that truck always started and never died. I think he ended up donating it or something.

Engines are funny things, sometimes you see things that just don't make sense and they still will run.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:56 AM

15,274 posts, read 15,266,256 times
Drive it until it croaks, not much to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or