Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I really don't get the whole hybrid thing.... like mentioned...just get a TDI Jetta.... 40+ Mpg...and you don't have to worry about batteries. I really don't think lots of Americans don't know small diesel cars get great gas mileage...granted it diesel costs a lil more...but the efficiency can offset that.

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I appreciate the hybrid concept of recapturing braking energy that would otherwise simply be wasted as heat energy and then releasing it as motion energy, but I don't think the hybrid is long for this world as the way to accomplish that task. Right now GM is close to market-testing a mechanical hydraulic setup that performs the same basic function. Another benefit to the hybrid is engine shutoff while idle. BMW is close to bringing an auto-shutoff and restart system to a conventional non-hybrid driveline courtesy of a trick flywheel. Hybrids are just way too complex, plus they pose environmental issues of their own, such as the extra energy needed to mine the rare metals used in their construction and what to do with all those hugely toxic battery packs once they've reached the end of their life cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Yep, you can get the diesel in the Jetta, Passat, Bug and Toureg (maybe more models, too). VW stopped importing the TDI Toureg for a bit, but it's back now.
Not anymore, except on the used-car market. VW couldn't figure out a cost-effective method to make their diesels meet the new passenger-car emissions standards. So no more diesel cars from VW in the States until they sort that out, which they say will be by next spring. Right now the only company selling diesel cars in the U.S. is Mercedes, courtesy of their Blutec engine.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
We bought a 2007 accord hybrid just a week before it was announced that they were to be discontinued due to lack of sales. It is a fine car, luxuriously appointed with leather and wood trim, 6 disc cd and more. The engine is the standard 3.0 V6 with an electric motor to assist with horse power and mpg's. It has 263 horses, goes from zero to sixty in 6.2 seconds, has variable cylinder shutoff and gets 28 city and a supposed tops of 38 highway. So far we have got close to the 28 city and yet to take it on a really long highway drive to test the highway mpg's. It is amazingly fast, comfortable and smooth, extremely quiet and is an ATPZEV ( advanced technology partial zero emmissions vehicle ) it uses regenerative braking and a similar technology with the transmission to recharge the batteries that power the electric assist motor. It is Hondas highest priced sedan and the most luxurious of the accords. We will get half the amount paid over the standard top of the line accord back in a tax deduction and we figured that the difference was worth it for the extra horse power, appointments and that it is an almost zero polluter. Everything we wanted in one package and who knows maybe a collectors item in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
those with a hybrid vehicle....-dsc03455.jpg  

Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron17571 View Post
My dads prius averaged 48,and his camry hybrid got 44.we figured that it really wasnt worth it for the extra cost.i would check out a yaris with the cvt,my nephew gets 40 or so.curious i didnt think you could get vw diesels in the usa?the prius really did work good and had no problems,very fast actually.
I drive a VW diesel. I bought it in MN. 53 mpg last tank of fuel. Simple engine, long vehicle life, and no 6K battery to replace. Don't understand the hype about hybrids.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I'm not sure I'd call any turbocharged engine "simple." Nor one that implements direct injection of precisely metered quantities of fuel at 20,000 psi. There's been a whole lot of R&D and sophisticated tweaks to make that "simple" engine practical and reliable for everyday use without it being an absolutely filthy pollutant-belching machine.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:37 PM

14 posts, read 46,656 times
my best friend drives a hybrid

Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25yroldsinglewoman View Post
my best friend drives a hybrid
and...

Thoughts? Opinions? Feedback?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not anymore, except on the used-car market. VW couldn't figure out a cost-effective method to make their diesels meet the new passenger-car emissions standards. So no more diesel cars from VW in the States until they sort that out, which they say will be by next spring. Right now the only company selling diesel cars in the U.S. is Mercedes, courtesy of their Blutec engine.
You are correct. Thank you for the info, I did not realized that VW had suspended diesels in the US.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:48 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm not sure I'd call any turbocharged engine "simple." Nor one that implements direct injection of precisely metered quantities of fuel at 20,000 psi. There's been a whole lot of R&D and sophisticated tweaks to make that "simple" engine practical and reliable for everyday use without it being an absolutely filthy pollutant-belching machine.

You know that filthy diesel technology was good enough to deliver your gallon of milk to the supermarket Maybe they can find some way to make a hybrid semi truck that can haul 50,000 lbs...

If there is ONE thing I like about hybrids...all of the hype is forcing car manufactures to look at higher efficiency power plants. They can't ignore it anymore. Which is a good thing. So hey...looks like hybrids are a step in the right direction.

Now if every compact car could get a diesel that is pushing 50mpg+...hey that would be nice to

James

Old 09-13-2007, 11:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
"Volkswagen Jetta TDI (diesel)"

I am fairly sure they don't make a diesels anymore to send to the US. Our govt says they can't (just when gas prices hit their highest - conspiracy/coincidence?). They should have the new diesel in the jetta only in 2008 - no word on a tdi rabbit yet alas - they are anxiously awaited.

We bought the final year passat diesel and love it.

BUT they are going to come out with some honda, and toyota and nissan diesel engines I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive