Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,611,742 times

Advertisements

At one time or another we all struggle with.... do we repair a dependable car or throw in the towel and buy another car?????

This site may help you decide when the time comes which path makes the most sense........in your situation.

Trade or Replace?

http://www.jasperengines.com/jasper-...gasengines.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM

21,420 posts, read 8,629,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
At one time or another we all struggle with.... do we repair a dependable car or throw in the towel and buy another car?????

This site may help you decide when the time comes which path makes the most sense........in your situation.

Trade or Replace?

JASPER Remanufactured Gas Engines
This site is basically an advertisement for an engine replacement company, so of course they're going to be biased toward keeping your old car . . . and having them put in a new engine. There wasn't any helpful information there except that *duh* it's more expensive to buy a new car!

Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
This site is basically an advertisement for an engine replacement company, so of course they're going to be biased toward keeping your old car . . . and having them put in a new engine. There wasn't any helpful information there except that *duh* it's more expensive to buy a new car!
There are times when advertisements do educate and this is one of those times IMO.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:13 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,892,173 times
I traded in a 97 Ford Probe I owned years ago due to chronic transmission issues.

As it's third tranny started heading south, with 40K miles on the clock (In 2002), I traded it in before it was bad enough to really be noticeable. It was beyond warranty, and I didn't want to pay out of pocket for the 4th tranny. That may had to be way beyond bad luck!

I cut my losses.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I traded in a 97 Ford Probe I owned years ago due to chronic transmission issues.

As it's third tranny started heading south, with 40K miles on the clock (In 2002), I traded it in before it was bad enough to really be noticeable. It was beyond warranty, and I didn't want to pay out of pocket for the 4th tranny. That may had to be way beyond bad luck!

I cut my losses.
There are times when a component will just plain be a bad , or weak, design and will fail repeatedly. This is when the internet is your friend so you see if this or that on your car has a bad/weak history.......then bail

Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,613,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
There are times when advertisements do educate and this is one of those times IMO.
No, advertisement is a means to encourage you to spend money with them.

There are times when it is best to put the old vehicle out to pasture. Engine goes, so you put a new engine into it. 5,000 miles the transmission goes kaboom... You would have been better off investing in a newer car with fewer miles and a warranty.

Major repairs, milage and age really come into play. Not some advertisement for an engine rebuilder.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 6,790,392 times
There are many factors that go in the decision on major repairs. It is not only what component and how much $$. A brand new car might blow an engine and everybody would agree to put a new one in. There is the rust question, age, other components. By the time a car needs a new engine or transmission, usually a lot of other parts need replacement and they have been somewhat neglected. Suspension parts are one, then electrical and AC, worn out seats, the list goes on. The owner should also factor in if the car is serving the purpose it was meant to serve. If you have a coupe that blew the engine and you were already expanding your family and are in need of a minivan then you just move on.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:23 PM

886 posts, read 5,697,008 times
Jasper re-man engines are some of the worst I have ever come across. We used to use their engines when customers wanted a replacement. We had 2 fail due too poor cleaning after machining. Both engines had less than 100 miles on them.

They are also a pain in the ass for warranty work.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
No, advertisement is a means to encourage you to spend money with them.
Sigh, you really don't understand what advertising is , and does, beyond the obvious do you?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
Jasper re-man engines are some of the worst I have ever come across. We used to use their engines when customers wanted a replacement. We had 2 fail due too poor cleaning after machining. Both engines had less than 100 miles on them.

They are also a pain in the ass for warranty work.
Two engines out of how many good engines from this company? No one hits 100% all the time........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive