U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 PM
 
41,643 posts, read 44,893,785 times
Reputation: 12784
my wife bought a set for her accord at wal-mart. I have to say that the hazard warranty is worth the price. Its included mounting;balancing and new stems when pruchased. With two flats they replaced the tire each time as manager says they do not fix flats because of libiality. They also roatate and balance every 5000 free. i was surprised when watching that they did final tighten of lugs with a torque wrench to specs and another employee had to varify with torque wrench.I have a friend who owns a tire dealership ;so don't think I will be doing business but was impressed none the less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM
 
14,522 posts, read 6,849,070 times
Reputation: 6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
But no, I don't know exactly what was up with the tires. I do know that having 4 supposedly new tires that were all terribly out of round suggests more than curb damage.
if the tires were out of round, that is not the fault of walmart, but rather the manufacturer. it is less common today for tires to be out of round but it still happens enough that many dealers will still true the tires to make them round again.

the tires sold at walmart are no different than the tires sold at a tire dealer. continental or any other manufacturer for that matter is not going to build a tire specifically for one company. the private brand tires are made to the same specs that the big name brand tires are, with minor changes to things like the tread pattern and the lettering on the side of the tire.

as indicated, the DOT sets the standards that tires MUST meet. all tires are rated using the SAME standards for tread wear, traction, and temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Southwest Nebraska
1,297 posts, read 2,490,240 times
Reputation: 843
I bought a new set o 4 General Grabber A/T at normal tire store. Can't remember name. They are agressive mud and snow tires and have a 60,000 mile warrenty. They are very quiet on highway roads. I had them mounted, balanced, and front end alignment and road hazard all for715.00.

They are on my 07 Ram 1500/quad 4x4. Best tires I have bought and will buy again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM
 
8,410 posts, read 8,506,137 times
Reputation: 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if the tires were out of round, that is not the fault of walmart, but rather the manufacturer. it is less common today for tires to be out of round but it still happens enough that many dealers will still true the tires to make them round again.

the tires sold at walmart are no different than the tires sold at a tire dealer. continental or any other manufacturer for that matter is not going to build a tire specifically for one company. the private brand tires are made to the same specs that the big name brand tires are, with minor changes to things like the tread pattern and the lettering on the side of the tire.

as indicated, the DOT sets the standards that tires MUST meet. all tires are rated using the SAME standards for tread wear, traction, and temperature.
You can also feel free to ignore the fact that CONTINENTAL TOLD ME DIRECTLY THAT THEY BUILD THAT SERIES OF TIRES SPECIFICALLY FOR WM. But I guess they're lying to me about their own tires for some reason. AND AGAIN for at least the third time, since some of you have zero reading comprehension, DOT standards only refer to safety. There is a HUGE RANGE of quality that still meets DOT standards. I never said these were below that standard. HUGE RANGE. Say it with me now:

"HUGE RANGE of quality that still meets DOT standards"

Do you really think all tires are basically the same? IS that where the comprehension problem is occurring?

Wow. This thread is so disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
 
152 posts, read 189,711 times
Reputation: 117
I called "CONTINENTAL"



And they told me that they do not make a tire specifically for wall-mart.

If they did wouldn't it say wall-mart on the side and not Continental ?
Continental is a globally active corporation uniting many prestigious brands.
Tyres Automotive Technical products
Continental Corporation -Continental Homepage

Nope I didn't see wall-mart brand tires.

Someone lied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
 
8,410 posts, read 8,506,137 times
Reputation: 6432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3700 View Post
I called "CONTINENTAL"



And they told me that they do not make a tire specifically for wall-mart.

If they did wouldn't it say wall-mart on the side and not Continental ?
Continental is a globally active corporation uniting many prestigious brands.
Tyres Automotive Technical products
Continental Corporation -Continental Homepage

Nope I didn't see wall-mart brand tires.

Someone lied.
In May or June of 2003, that's what I was told by a CSR at Continental. They weren't Walmart brand, they were Continental. Don't know what to tell you beyond that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Twin Lakes /Taconic / Salisbury
2,257 posts, read 1,390,186 times
Reputation: 1758
I once worked in retail tire sales for a short time, and have spent years working for a couple different manufacturers in testing and development. No one makes "special" tires for particular stores, walmart of otherwise.. that csr was BSing you, sales people are usually the ones that know LEAST about their products, moreso in automotive sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Northern MN
3,870 posts, read 5,009,407 times
Reputation: 3184
Good job 3700

owned..

Someone has a crow dinner to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 AM
 
14,522 posts, read 6,849,070 times
Reputation: 6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You can also feel free to ignore the fact that CONTINENTAL TOLD ME DIRECTLY THAT THEY BUILD THAT SERIES OF TIRES SPECIFICALLY FOR WM. But I guess they're lying to me about their own tires for some reason. AND AGAIN for at least the third time, since some of you have zero reading comprehension, DOT standards only refer to safety. There is a HUGE RANGE of quality that still meets DOT standards. I never said these were below that standard. HUGE RANGE. Say it with me now:

"HUGE RANGE of quality that still meets DOT standards"

Do you really think all tires are basically the same? IS that where the comprehension problem is occurring?

Wow. This thread is so disappointing.
you can choose to believe "someone" from continental tires told you that they make a specific tire for walmart, but chances are they are either lying to you, or they were misinformed. as i said, tire manufacturers do make private label tires, but they are built to the SAME specs as the brand name tires of the same line. the ONLY difference is usually going to be the lettering on the sidewall, and perhaps the tread pattern. for instance sears branded tires are made by michelin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
5,866 posts, read 5,797,848 times
Reputation: 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Good job 3700

owned..

Someone has a crow dinner to eat.
Don't hold your breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top