Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 AM

607 posts, read 2,367,172 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, looking to buy some tires for my 1/2 ton soon and was wondering if anyone can recommend any from walmart. I saw some general grabbers, bridgestone Duelers, and Goodyear tracker 2 among the choices. Has anyone bought these or their other choices and can give me feedback. I have heard that walmart gets special labels on brands that only they sell??? Anyways, looking for the best value and tires soon. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
They not only get special labels but, if their tires are like so many other things at Walmart, they are also built to Walmart's cheaper standards so they can be sold for less.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a tire from them for that reason.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
They not only get special labels but, if their tires are like so many other things at Walmart, they are also built to Walmart's cheaper standards so they can be sold for less.

I don't buy that built to cheaper standards BS.

Walmart along with all the other high volume discounters have better buying power than the smaller local retailers.
They buy cheaper so they can sell cheaper.

I don't buy much at Walmart because I don't like to buy foreign made but when I do buy American made products they are not of lesser quality then those sold at the local retail stores.

I would not buy tires or any vehicle services from Walmart because the quality/knowledge of their service personnel is less then that of auto dealers.
I would buy tires from Tire-rack and have them installed buy a local shop.

I bought my Duelers from Tire rack and I am pleased with them.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,165,670 times
The tires at wallmart are the exact same tires you will find at any tire store.
None of them are built to wallmarts standards

"general grabbers, bridgestone Duelers, and Goodyear tracker" are all quality tires and they will be the exact tire you get from tire rack, wallmart or any other tire shop.

What deals are they running?
buy 3 get one free?
free road hazard?

The kid busting tires at wallmart might have just worked at any of the other tire shops in town.
They all hire untrained help to bust tires few SAE certified technicians change tires.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't buy that built to cheaper standards BS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The tires at wallmart are the exact same tires you will find at any tire store.

I can say for an absolute fact that at least some of the tires at WM are NOT the same as you'll see elsewhere, and the quality is definitely different.

When I bought my used F150 a few years ago, it had new Continental tires on it. It didn't ride right so I took it to get the tires balanced. That shop (Discount tire) said they couldn't get the tires balanced, and showed me where a sheet of weights was on the inside of one of my wheels. That guy told me he'd never seen that, and he'd been in the tire business for 30 years. He told me that those tires were sold only by WM.

I tried one other tire shop, and although they weren't as forthcoming, they couldn't get the tires to balance.

Through a friend I knew someone who was a manager of a WM auto shop, so we took my truck to him. He explained that Continental builds that series of tires to hit a WM price point, and they ARE NOT the same quality as standard line Contis. They'd had problems with them. He special ordered Michelins, swapped me out, and the truck has been great since.

I called Continental afterwards, and they confirmed that WM sets the standards for those tires, and they shouldn't be compared to other Contis.

I lived it.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,135,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I can say for an absolute fact that at least some of the tires at WM are NOT the same as you'll see elsewhere, and the quality is definitely different.

Sorry, but I’m not buying.

DOT sets the standards for tires not Wal*Mart

Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,165,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

When I bought my used F150 a few years ago, it had new Continental tires on it. It didn't ride right so I took it to get the tires balanced. That shop (Discount tire) said they couldn't get the tires balanced, and showed me where a sheet of weights was on the inside of one of my wheels. That guy told me he'd never seen that, and he'd been in the tire business for 30 years. He told me that those tires were sold only by WM.

I tried one other tire shop, and although they weren't as forthcoming, they couldn't get the tires to balance.

Through a friend I knew someone who was a manager of a WM auto shop, so we took my truck to him. He explained that Continental builds that series of tires to hit a WM price point, and they ARE NOT the same quality as standard line Contis. They'd had problems with them. He special ordered Michelins, swapped me out, and the truck has been great since.

I called Continental afterwards, and they confirmed that WM sets the standards for those tires, and they shouldn't be compared to other Contis.

I lived it.
And you were lied to by tire shops who are having a hard time competing with wallmart.

NO one is selling rejected or 2nds when it comes to tires.

any and all tire MFG's on and occasion produce a tire that is hard to balance.
Again the tire shops lied to you.

It is common to see wheel weights on the "inside" to do the job properly some rims&tire combos would have weights on both sides or running down the center-line on the rim using stick on weights.
Again you were lied to by the tire shop.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:00 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,172,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Sorry, but I’m not buying.

DOT sets the standards for tires not Wal*Mart
Amen - and the consumer should take his/her knowledge into any retail environment and they should be fine.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,214,787 times
I would rather give my money to Discount Tire or Tire Rack than Walmart any day.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
And you were lied to by tire shops who are having a hard time competing with wallmart.

NO one is selling rejected or 2nds when it comes to tires.

any and all tire MFG's on and occasion produce a tire that is hard to balance.
Again the tire shops lied to you.

It is common to see wheel weights on the "inside" to do the job properly some rims&tire combos would have weights on both sides or running down the center-line on the rim using stick on weights.
Again you were lied to by the tire shop.
So everything I said is wrong, and everyone lied to me? Ridiculous. I never said they were rejects or seconds. I said they were poorly made tires. 4 tires on the same vehicle wouldn't balance? Continental lied to me? An entire sheet of wheel weights is normal? That would make the tire damn near oval, not just "hard to balance". Which part of "WOULD NOT BALANCE" did you not understand?

Does anything you said make sense? Or are you calling me a liar? Wake up. WAKE UP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive