U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM

8,958 posts, read 7,619,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No. But dollars are much more available. In 1955 a person who made 150K a year was rare, elite and very rich. Now, that is middle class and very common.
You can't base this post on any sort of value exchange system..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:23 PM

10,025 posts, read 12,909,187 times
My first car cost me $600 and maybe today would have been a $2,500 car. I think it is inflation that has brought a $100 car to become a $600 car and now a $2,500 car. I remember in the past people saying that they could get a car for $100. Well I bet that you could have done a lot of things in the past for $100. In 1965 my dad made $350 a month and my parents were able to buy a home, have a boat, a truck with a camper on it. The home cost them $13,000. I recently noticed a home in there old neighborhood selling for around $260,000. That sure is a far cry from $13,000.

Back in 1983 I could have bought a new Toyota pickup for $7,900 I think. It could have been less. Can't remember. Anyway, try doing that today. A base Toyota pickup starts in the $17,000 range. Lets see now, if the price of new cars is a lot more than they were back in the mid 80's wouldn't it be easy to see that the price of used cars would also be much higher?

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-22-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 PM

1,876 posts, read 3,445,310 times
I have been looking at craiglist for a used car, and boy are they expensive. What's worse is a lot of people try to hide things from potential buyers. Today I drove 30 miles to check out a 2007 Tacoma truck that was listed for $12,000. I asked the seller on the phone if he was a private seller. He told me he was. I showed up at a body shop and the guy said the truck wasn't there and wanted to sell me a different one.

Here is a 2004 Nissan Maxima listed for $3000.

2004 Nissan Maxima for sale (http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2819511944.html - broken link)

Old 02-23-2012, 01:43 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,155,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Worth mentioning that if you have an older car and consider it a "keeper", you could do worse than to buy a used alternator for it, take same to a good local rebuilder shop to have it checked out and put new brushes in it (brushes if practical) and put on the shelf, against the day your current alternator quits (and quit it will, although usually it just needs a set of brushes to be whole again).

Also worth mentioning that if money is tight, a boneyard battery, correct size for your car, is likely to last several years, and is way cheaper than new.

Get to know your local boneyard operators, they are scruffy but very useful guys.
Absolutely, wise advice indeed. My son-in-law laughs when he comes over and sees all the used parts in the garage. Fenders, doors, glass, engine parts and more. The same s-i-l who has two car payments and full insurance versus me who has three cars, no payments and basic insurance. Can't tell you how many times those used parts have gone back into service.

As for the yards, forget the industrial type operators. Forge a relationship with a smaller independent who'll let you wander the yard and pull your own stuff. Soon there'll be a chair with your name on it in the office if you play it right.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM

8,758 posts, read 21,483,979 times
True indeed. It's also worth noting that to play the "old car game" to win, you need more old cars in your stable than you have drivers for - you need bare bones minimum one spare - which might well be an old pickup, not as economical as some small cars but gives you something to fall back on when one of your "primary dailies" needs some TLC. Example, today I am in the 87 Camry, the muffler on the 'roc developed a hole, it's drivable but it's LOUD. But, no biggie, I can drive the Camry for now and fix the muffler on the 'roc on my schedule and on my terms, rather than have to go straight to "Mr. Muffler" or some such, which if I did do that, no doubt I would have to settle for a "will fit" muffler that would not fit *right*, probably not the best muffler. I may be able to just repair the hole or I may put on a new muffler - in any case I will fix it my way, better and cheaper (although way slower) than any pro shop.

True, too, about the small indy yards being way better than the industrial operators, who are really more in the scrap metal biz than the used part biz. Although one large operator near Spokane, Spalding's, is excellent, has all sorts of parts, and will pull and ship to me (well, to any business in town who will receive the parts for me) for free. But, yeah, nothing like getting to know the guys at a small yard, becoming a "regular", it's a good place to socialize as well as get parts that are expensive or hard to find new.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 PM

112 posts, read 151,984 times
Default The right deal for a car is Hard to find.

In 2007 I wanted a small economy truck for good gas mpg.
I looked at all options 10 years old or newer and ended up with a new truck for less than 4000 more than most with 100000 miles. No brand loyalty involved.
In 2009 the economy was not looking good and I decided to rid myself of car payments and full coverage insurance. I ended up one of only 6 not layed off.
I traded my 2007 truck for a 1998 chevy extended cab 4x4 that I ended up with 6500 in but paid off. It was a one owner with 91000 miles and has given no problems since. It has considerable less miles on it and better shape than most of the same trucks I see selling for 6000 now.
I bought a 1995 buick riviera supercharged with 140000 miles a little over a year ago for better mpg and save miles on the truck. I paid 1400 for it cash and get 27 mpg at 80 mph on road trips. In Nov I drove it to Denver and back with 0 problems. On the trip back the gps said 896 miles when I left Golden less than 13 hours later I was home,only 3 stops the whole trip and I was not beat when I got home. I have never had a car I could do that in at any price.

In the last few weeks it was time for a different car for my 21 yr old son we looked real hard and found a2002 car with 110000 miles for 3850 that seems to be a reliable car which was below trade in book value.
His old car was a 2001 with 203000 miles and had a lot of work done in the last 10000 miles done by me. I was not working on it any more.
We looked up book value and priced it below that at 2200 on craigs list 25 hours later it was gone with 2000 dollars cash in my hand.

So even though cars are more now and I could go buy a new one any day I want. I would still buy an older one I searched and paid cash for the right deal than have the new payments again.
I've had several new cars and they are all old cars when you drive them home.
I like not having that car payment every month.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM

4,402 posts, read 4,113,242 times
Hope I can improve my credit score to the point where I can get easily financed. Shame on people on CL, for advertising cars that, for example, have trannys missing or even knocking engines and still wanting up to 800-1000 dollars for them, really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive