Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times

Advertisements

Wow, I am laughing over here at this 1/2 tank theory.

As CALGUY says, gas is going up almost daily. So if he really wants to save money, he should be filling up his tank EVERY DAY since it will be cheaper than buying it tomorrow. Got it?

I always fill up my tank, it's not worth my time to stop and take 10 minutes to get gas more than once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Wow, I am laughing over here at this 1/2 tank theory.

As CALGUY says, gas is going up almost daily. So if he really wants to save money, he should be filling up his tank EVERY DAY since it will be cheaper than buying it tomorrow. Got it?

I always fill up my tank, it's not worth my time to stop and take 10 minutes to get gas more than once a week.
Every day?! I was thinking he should probably fill up three times a day by his logic, then he'd only be spending maybe $1-$2 each fill-up!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
I would like some of you to perform a little test in the next week.
Fill your vehicle up, keep track of the mileage you drive, and explain to me why it is that it takes longer, and more miles to use up the gas from full to 1/2 a tank, then it does to run from 1/2 tank to empty.
I have noticed this in every vehicle I have ever owned, so obviously it isn't just my vehicles.
I am open to suggestions as to why it appears one gets better mileage from full to 1/2 then from 1/2 half to empty.
This should be interesting..
If your answers above concerning the status of half a tank are any indication of your responses, this otta be good.
Bob.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Am I missing something here?
Bob.
Not a Spinal Tap fan I see.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM

483 posts, read 1,221,783 times
Quote:
With the price of gas in the Los Angeles metro area already well over four dollars a gallon for regular, and for cars like my classic Tbird, that use premium, that is selling for four fifty a gallon today, we all need a few helpful hints to help preserve this costly commodity.
Some things are simple, and some a little costly, but the end result will be better mileage.
First off, check those tires for the correct amount of air pressure, and do this often.
Keep the engine running smoothly as possible, and that means maintaining proper fluid levels in all components that use them, as well as periodic tune ups, and checking for worn belts.
All of these things, if not maintained in good condition, will rob the engine of power, resulting in bad gas mileage.
Make sure exhaust systems are not leaking, or clogged.
This robs the engine of power.
Forget those jack rabbit take offs from a stop.
Just to interject some fact at this point,one of my vehicles is a Dakota R/T with a large v8 engine, and in the days when gasoline was affordable, I would tromp on it when the light turned green, and see both the gas gauge, and the miles to empty read out move considerably to the lower position.
That one burst of the gas pedal would eat roughly one quart of gas.
Learn to accelerate slowly, and it will save on gas.
Maintain the suspension in good working order.
If the vehicle is out of alignment, not only will it eat your tires, but will make the engine, and drivetrain work harder to compensate for the faulty alignment.
All suspension parts should be in good working order.
Not maintaining the suspension could not only cost the loss in good gas mileage, but more importantly could result in an accident which could cost you your life.
One of the most important things you can do to preserve gas is to drive according to road conditions .
Use common sense while driving.
Don't allow the gas tank to go below 1/4 reading.
Fill up at 1/2 tank if you can.
It has been said that running the air conditioner eats up gas.
In today's vehicles that just isn't so.
Today's vehicles are designed to run efficiently while the system is on.
In the older vehicles running the air will result in lower gas mileage.
A couple more things to consider.
To save time and gas, combine trips into one trip, rather than later on in the day, going out to do something you could have done while out before.
And finally, walk to those places you would normally drive to if they are close by.
If any one has more suggestions, by all means post them here.
We are all in this together.
Bob.
To the OP... can I ask why you're putting premium gas in your "classic Tbird"? Assuming it's stock, it doesn't have any forced induction and isn't high compression... so if that's the case, there's absolutely no need for 93.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:54 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Get a new car. Your big V8 produces what, 250HP? You can get 4 banger turbos that generate almost 300HP and get 23/34MPG.
I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 with a 4.6L/289 V8 with 300 horse power.
I am driving at 55 mph and getting 28 mpg. Yeah, I can drive at 75 like everyone passing me but I get 18 mpg when I do.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
To the OP... can I ask why you're putting premium gas in your "classic Tbird"? Assuming it's stock, it doesn't have any forced induction and isn't high compression... so if that's the case, there's absolutely no need for 93.
He could be under the mistaken impression that the hightest,super deluxe, gold ,premium is going to give more power and mpg, or he may be under the mistaken impression that the higher octane gas is in some way has more quality than plain old ordinary regular gas , =gas company laughs all the way to the bank..Or he just may have a high performance engine that calls for the more expensive high octane.No benefits are derived from putting high octane (90+)gas in a car that requires regular octane gas (87)

Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Quote:
I would like some of you to perform a little test in the next week.
Fill your vehicle up, keep track of the mileage you drive, and explain to me why it is that it takes longer, and more miles to use up the gas from full to 1/2 a tank, then it does to run from 1/2 tank to empty.
I have noticed this in every vehicle I have ever owned, so obviously it isn't just my vehicles.
I am open to suggestions as to why it appears one gets better mileage from full to 1/2 then from 1/2 half to empty.
This should be interesting..
If your answers above concerning the status of half a tank are any indication of your responses, this otta be good.
Bob.

man, I'm getting a bald spot from hitting my forehead.

How much fuel does your tank hold?
At 1/2 tank mark on the fuel gauge do you put in half of the amount the tank holds or is it more?

On most vehicles that I've driven when you have used up over 1/2 a tank the needle on the gauge reads 1/2 tank.
The first half is the biggest...

If anything you will get the best millage with the last gallon in the tank, you should try it.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I try to keep my tank at least half full as ya never know when an emergency may arise that would benefit from your cars continued operation,Such as getting stuck in a blizzard,or evacuating an area(Think Katrina) or all of a sudden there is a gas shortage or a major power outage or due to a traffic problem you are stuck in it for hours...

Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 with a 4.6L/289 V8 with 300 horse power.
I am driving at 55 mph and getting 28 mpg. Yeah, I can drive at 75 like everyone passing me but I get 18 mpg when I do.
No you aren't. 28MPG? LMFAO. That truck is rated 14/19MPG. You might be getting low 20's but not 28 at 55mph. Going 55mph might get you 10-15% better mileage, or 2-3mpg in your case.

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 02-23-2012 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive