Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to buy a used on craiglist, and the process has been a frustrating one. Some of the things I encounter are:

1. People want way too much money for their used vehicles.

2. Dealers and repair shops pretending to be private sellers.

3. Sellers not listing enough info about the car such as mileage and engine size.

4. Many cars are sold with a salvage title.

I have learned that if I google the address and it shows car-related businesses at that address, chances a dealer or a repair shop is trying to sell their cars.

I have learned that if I say something general like I am calling about the car for sale and if the seller asks which one, then there is good chance that this person is in the business of selling used cars.

Knowing if the seller is a dealer or a repair shop would help the buyer save times if the goal is not to buy from a dealer or repair shop.

I don't know much a bout salvage title. Many of the cars on my local craiglist have a salvage title. I have been told to stay away from them. Please educate me on buying car with a salvage title and other areas of buying a used cars.

Your tips could help others who need help like I do and is much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
Same as for the used truck.

Do your home work.
Have your mechanic take a look at the one you might buy.

I bought a suv off of crags list I didn't care if it was a private sale or a mechanics shop or from a dealer.
As it has little bearing on the quality of said vehicle.

If you don't know enough about cars stay from a salvage, it was salvaged. it could be fine or it could be dangerous and a money pit. You Ins company will not like to fully insure a slave vehicle.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
What if I don't have a mechanic? Are there things I can inspect by myself?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,139,350 times
My biggest gripe about buyers is the ones who are lured by false economy.

I once had someone try and compare an identical car that was cheaper to mine.

The cheaper car had the heater core bypassed, the a/c did not work, needed tires and was overdue for a 90k service.

Yeah good luck with that $1200 savings.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
What if I don't have a mechanic? Are there things I can inspect by myself?

1. Check the engine for blow-by. Take the oil cap off and crank the car, and if smoke comes out of the filler hole don't buy it. Blow-by means the engine rings aren't sealing well and the engine is losing pressure. Oil contamination and loss of horsepower are symptoms of blow-by.

2. Have someone rev the car while you watch the tailpipe for white or blue smoke. White or blue smoke means the engine is using oil excessively.

3. Determine if the car has been wrecked by looking closely at the gaps in the body panels, the areas underneath the hood or trunk where paint may be rough or may not match perfectly, areas where body sealer may have been used such as inside the gas cap or in the water channels underneath the trunk. For example, if one side of the vehicle had body work at the rear, one of the water channels may be smoother or may look worse than the other. There are many other things to look for, so you may want to research how to tell if a car has been wrecked.

4. Look for water damage. Rusted bolts/nuts underneath seats, mud or dirt buildup in body panels in trunk or hood, etc. Research for more signs.

5. People will tell you anything. Sure, there are honest people, but if someone tells you the car is in good shape, chances are it isn't in as good of shape as you think it should be. Pictures don't always show the truth about a vehicle, so before you drive a long way to look at one be sure. I have seen people take a picture at certain angles that hide dents, rust, scratches, etc. I have been told the paint looks good only to go look at the vehicle and find peeling paint or clearcoat.

I have looked at a few that the owner told me had, say, 165k miles, but once I get there and crank the vehicle the odometer says 230k. I have been told the gauge cluster was replaced with one from a junkyard so the vehicle doesn't really have that many miles. I ALWAYS assume the mileage is at least as much as what is shown on the odometer.

I am not an expert, but these are a few things I look for. I bet others could add more to the list.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have been trying to buy a used on craiglist, and the process has been a frustrating one. Some of the things I encounter are:

1. People want way too much money for their used vehicles.

2. Dealers and repair shops pretending to be private sellers.

3. Sellers not listing enough info about the car such as mileage and engine size.

4. Many cars are sold with a salvage title.

I have learned that if I google the address and it shows car-related businesses at that address, chances a dealer or a repair shop is trying to sell their cars.

I have learned that if I say something general like I am calling about the car for sale and if the seller asks which one, then there is good chance that this person is in the business of selling used cars.

Knowing if the seller is a dealer or a repair shop would help the buyer save times if the goal is not to buy from a dealer or repair shop.

I don't know much a bout salvage title. Many of the cars on my local craiglist have a salvage title. I have been told to stay away from them. Please educate me on buying car with a salvage title and other areas of buying a used cars.

Your tips could help others who need help like I do and is much appreciated. Thank you.
You think like I do.

Some advice that I'll add:

Copy and paste phone numbers into Google. This helps you see if the person is a dealer pretending to be a private seller, or a private seller who is selling a lot of cars for some reason or another.

If you're spending several thousand or more, search AutoTrader.com and Car.com for a considerable distance to see if you can find a car with less mileage and in even better shape or a better color combination. Be willing to travel a bit. You can search as far away from home as possible for you. AutoTrader and Cars.com allow you to search by mileage from lowest to highest, all while setting a maximum price. On AutoTrader.com, be sure not to just look at the premium listings. The search criteria will start over as "regular listings" once you've gone through the premium which show up first no matter what you do. You can also search nationwide and look at a model of car you're interested in and search from mileage highest to lowest to get an idea how many miles said car is lasting and what kind of condition they are in at high mileage.

Read consumer/owner reviews! Here's an example of consumer reviews that accurately indicate what was perhaps the worst car in modern history (Edmunds is good for reviews):

2000 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews

Don't buy a car (or generation of car) that is within the first couple of years of its introduction. It's best to buy the last model year before major changes on a model. That's when all the kinks and flaws in design have been worked out. For example, a 2003 Saab 9-3 is a mess with lots of problems. 2004 was better. By 2005 that car was solid and reliable.

Get an inspection. It's worth $100 or whatever. Unless you're really good with cars. There are things like tierods (which mechanically control steering) that could need replacing and stuff like that can cost several hundred dollars. Rearends could be leaking. CV boots could be torn. Etc.

Try to get a one-owner car.

All that said, once you do get a car, I would immediately change the air and fuel filters, have the oil changed, flush and refill the radiator, change the spark plugs and possibly the plug wires, and research what should be done in regard to the transmission fluid - sometimes it's good to have the fluid and filter changed in it and sometimes it's not. If the car is rear-wheel drive, the health of the rearend is crucial and replacement can often be VERY expensive, sometimes the cost of what a car is worth. I would always have a rear end's fluid checked and toped off or possibly changed. In doing this, they should inspect it to make sure it's not leaking as well.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 PM

213 posts, read 865,394 times
I would always ask for a VIN Report or a Carfax. Once I was about to pay for the car when at the very last moment I decided to run a VIN Report on the car. The car had been on an accident. It just might have been a minor fender-bender but the fact that the owner of the car had not chosen to tell me that made me question the idea of buying from him.

Getting an inspection done by Firestone will also help seal the deal.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
The best place to start your search for a car is the internet. Find out all you can about what types of cars are in your price range first. Then drill down the choices to one make and model. Then visit your bank/credit/union to arrange a loan for the amount of money you can pay before you even start looking for a car. Always, always "find the money first" to stay in control of the buy. Always find out what insurance is going to cost for the car you've chosen to buy BEFORE you buy it.

Once you home work is done start shopping for your car. Watch for hidden fees if you buy from a dealer. Walk out the door if the dealer demands that you pay for stuff not part of the car deal.

And good luck while you hang tough buying a car. You're gonna need all the luck and help you can muster for your first few car buys.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
I've bought used cars and trucks for the past 45 years. In recent years I have gotten some very good deals from dealers. I did buy my last F150 from a private individual and it has been excellent. In short, don't ignore the dealers. Sometimes they can sell a vehicle less than an individual and can be much easier to deal with.

PS - I am not a vehicle dealer nor have I ever been.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
1. If it looks too good to be true...it's salvaged/stolen.

2. Take it to a mechanic. Preferably your mechanic.

3. Check underneath the car/driveway in general for leaks.

4. White smoke is bad.

5. Ask for service records/carfax.

6. Check comps in your area, both private and dealer, to get a good feel on how much the car is worth in the market. Significantly higher they're upside down on a loan and won't budge on price, lower and (again) it's probably salvaged or worse.

EDIT: 7. Check for VIN plates in all of the usual spots, make sure they aren't rubbed off.

EDIT: 8: Check for respray, or trim that looks painted, or perhaps a color that doesn't match. This signifies an accident that is trying to be covered up.
----------

Look for a general vibe of the person, ask why they're selling, etc.

When I sell cars I tend to be almost too self-depreciating about the car I'm selling. I will tell them about quirks of the car, and problems that might pop up. Problems I fixed, problems a mechanic has fixed and all that. For example some older cars burn oil, some more than others, and if mine does I'll let the buyer know. Being honest like this hasn't kept me from selling my cars or netting me a fair price.

So, I would really appreciate and trust someone more who is honest and states a few problems, rather than someone who just says, "Oh this car is excellent, no problems here!" Even if it's the truth.

But that's just me.

I love the shows, Wheeler Dealers and Auto Trader

They have great tips about car buying and cars in general.

Last edited by harhar; 02-23-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Added links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive