Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 PM

37 posts, read 93,776 times

Advertisements

I know a nurse who makes 50K a year. She is planning on buying or leasing a car. She asked me what cars would be good for her. I am asking you what in your opinions is appropriate for a Hospital nurse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
You are going to have to provide a whole lot more info for anyone to provide an intelligent, informed answer.

Just for starters:

How much can she afford to pay monthly (or in a lump sum?)

What type of gas mileage is she looking for?

What is the maximum number of passengers that she might be carrying in her car?

Does she typically have to drive to work in icy/snowy conditions?

Does she value very good gas mileage, or high performance, or vice-versa?

Is she seeking a "US" brand, or does she realize that in the global marketplace, a "US" brand might be made in places other than the US?
(In other words, is the nameplate important, or is the place of manufacture important, or is neither a priority for her?)

I'm sure that others can add additional questions, but the above list should give you some idea of the input that is necessary in order to provide an answer with any value to her.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
If she's hot, a convertible is a must.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:29 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
Corolla, Civic are some of the most reliable cars out there. But still makes sure she has an independent mechanic look it over before purchase.

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Corolla

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
To start with leasing is the exact same thing as "fleecing" the customer so buying a good used car is best for everyone except big business.

IMO Toyota, Honda, and Lexus are the most dependable cars on the American market today. The best bet is anyone of these cars that two to four years old, with fairly low miles, would would be a good candidate for a nurse PROVIDED that she will take care of the car according to the owners manual.

I didn't mention a particular model since that is a very personal preference as long as she chooses from the brands that are mentioned that have proven to be reliable.

Best of luck......

Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 PM

37 posts, read 93,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
To start with leasing is the exact same thing as "fleecing" the customer so buying a good used car is best for everyone except big business.

IMO Toyota, Honda, and Lexus are the most dependable cars on the American market today. The best bet is anyone of these cars that two to four years old, with fairly low miles, would would be a good candidate for a nurse PROVIDED that she will take care of the car according to the owners manual.

I didn't mention a particular model since that is a very personal preference as long as she chooses from the brands that are mentioned that have proven to be reliable.

Best of luck......
Lexus is a luxury brand. She says all options are on the table. for practical reasons are luxury brands good for a nurse?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradlover View Post
Lexus is a luxury brand. She says all options are on the table. for practical reasons are luxury brands good for a nurse?
what does her profession have to do with anything?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
My mother was a nurse, and was happy driving 20+ year old beaters all the time. One of my best friends is married to a nurse. She will be driving a Ferrari every day the moment they can afford it.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You are going to have to provide a whole lot more info for anyone to provide an intelligent, informed answer.

Just for starters:

How much can she afford to pay monthly (or in a lump sum?)

What type of gas mileage is she looking for?

What is the maximum number of passengers that she might be carrying in her car?

Does she typically have to drive to work in icy/snowy conditions?

Does she value very good gas mileage, or high performance, or vice-versa?

Is she seeking a "US" brand, or does she realize that in the global marketplace, a "US" brand might be made in places other than the US?
(In other words, is the nameplate important, or is the place of manufacture important, or is neither a priority for her?)

I'm sure that others can add additional questions, but the above list should give you some idea of the input that is necessary in order to provide an answer with any value to her.

Additional question: what is she driving currently and what does she like/dislike about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive