Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post
Most mechanics learn mechanical things.
Few learn electronics, microcontrollers, and programming.

Cars are computerized and electronic these days. Learn electronics and microcontrollers and you will be able to pick where you work!

Radio Shack sells a microcontroller kit called the "Parallax Basic Stamp" for not too much. Learn how to connect things to that and program it. Then you will be off to a good start at understanding these things.

If you could take a few classes in basic electronics, that would be excellent as well.
Hmmm..I'll think about it..My ultimate goal is to open an aftermarket performance shop...which was the only reason I am going for Mechanical engineering and then Business.....

I know computers are essential to automotive performance. I have some serious searching and planning to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I agree with this. ASE certs are nice to have and a lot of shops want their guys to have the pieces of paper on the wall and the patches on the uniform. It's just something forward facing to the customer that says "experienced tech". However, when you are actually inside the industry it takes a different spin. Most managers want good techs and they know that ASE cert does not necessarily make you a good tech. If you have experience and know what you're doing, you can always get the certs down the road. However, having the certs doesn't mean you know what you are doing.

The company I work for (fleet management, not an actual shop) has the largest collection of ASE World Class Techs anywhere, primarily because the company uses that to sell services to customers, so they encourage/incentify the techs to earn them. One of those guys has never turned a wrench in his life...ever. He is really good at understanding mechanical things, reading and taking tests. He might be able to help tell you what's wrong with your car, but he could never actually fix it. Food for thought.
Ill get the a.s.es just to be more marketable. I could use any advantage I can get. I also study, work on cars or do something car related pretty much 24/7 now. I have all my bases covered as far as shaping up to what kind of tech I want to be.

You guys are right. I'm planning on leaving that midas. Not only do they ruin the underbodies of cars on their crappy lifts, put whatever generic oil they have into any car, and pretty much B.S. the customers....they dont accurately add the correct amount of oil...they don't fix the source of the problem purposely. Today one of the "Senior" techs banged on a rotor trying to get it off the car with a hammer and dented the rotor..He then resurfaced over it and the other techs laughed about it still showing

God forbid that would be my car..I can't stand it....I drive an 04 Volkswagen passat a car known to have issues...but guess what I have absolutely no issues with my car...because I'm extremely anal with repairs. My tire pressure is set exactly to 34 psi to every tire...Heck my engine bay is immaculatent...hell I put the perfect amount of oil...in my car everytime...

I treat the cars I do the same way.
Every nut and every bolt goes on perfectly...

Me and this place don't mix and being ordered to put generic coolant in a car which requires G12 coolant only....was the last straw.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I have had friends that worked at small shops then moved to dealerships and over time went to business for themselves. Not that everyone wants to do that. Still a few people I know have progressed in the trade in that manner. One friend spent maybe 20 years at a Pontiac Honda dealership before opening up his own place. A few years ago he sold that place and retired after a 40 year carreer.

Not sure about Midas although I have never taken my cars there. Then again I do things myself.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:31 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I also study, work on cars or do something car related pretty much 24/7 now.
I take it none of the other techs have told you yet.

In about 4-6 years you will learn to hate cars with a seething passion. There will come a time where you will find yourself browsing the Accords and Camrys, because you’re going to be too damn tired to work on your own ****.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM

297 posts, read 726,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Hmmm..I'll think about it..My ultimate goal is to open an aftermarket performance shop...which was the only reason I am going for Mechanical engineering and then Business.....

I know computers are essential to automotive performance. I have some serious searching and planning to do.
Here is more on all the electronics, computer networks, etc. in vehicles these days...

Controller Area Network CAN diagnostics explaination info on CAN-bus

Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post
Here is more on all the electronics, computer networks, etc. in vehicles these days...

Controller Area Network CAN diagnostics explaination info on CAN-bus

Thanks I will give it some thought

Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I take it none of the other techs have told you yet.

In about 4-6 years you will learn to hate cars with a seething passion. There will come a time where you will find yourself browsing the Accords and Camrys, because you’re going to be too damn tired to work on your own ****.

LMAO. I could never understand why the Nissan master techs were driving 1990 Maximas and 95 acuras...It seems that techs don't care what they drive....

I'm the complete opposite. What got me interested in cars is performance. I work on my car non stop and actually hope something breaks just so I can fix it and have a chance to put performance parts on it.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have had friends that worked at small shops then moved to dealerships and over time went to business for themselves. Not that everyone wants to do that. Still a few people I know have progressed in the trade in that manner. One friend spent maybe 20 years at a Pontiac Honda dealership before opening up his own place. A few years ago he sold that place and retired after a 40 year carreer.

Not sure about Midas although I have never taken my cars there. Then again I do things myself.

I plan on being an automotive technician for the rest of my life but as far as automotive repair goes its just a stepping stone in my career.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I agree with the others, I would get out and back into a dealer ASAP. The longer you spend there, the worse it looks. You have to list it on your resume and applications as they will find out you worked there when they do a background check, so no point in lieing.

I would basically frame it that you were working in a dealer, but there weren't any opportunities to move up. You were offered the job at Midas that would give you a broader range of jobs to work on. You thought it would be a good move and help you expand your skill base, but you quickly realized that it wasn't a positive move for your career and that the best place for you was earning your stripes in a dealership surrounded by other professional techs.

Wait employeers can do a background check of where you worked?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
That they can. Often your resume will consist of contacts also, and it's not uncommon for a reputable employer to call these contacts to verify your credentials, so if you have to list former employers, relatives, friends, clergy etc it will help if they have a good impression of you and are credible themselves.

I wish you luck in making it where you want to go, owning your own business can be one of the most rewarding things you do. It will also be the most difficult, and time consuming process you've ever attempted. I've worked on cars in my spare time as a hobby, got a job as an aircraft technician during college and did that for 3.5 years before switching to the flying side, did that for three years before switching to a desk job. It's nice looking back on my career and seeing steady progress at each level until moving onto the next, and I've never regretted those 3.5 years turning wrenches...it's proven very valuable for keeping my own cars and motorcycles in good running order.

I'd recommend moving onto another dealership, get your certifications as quickly as you can, show enthusiasm with whatever tasks are assigned to you, and pride in your work and craftsmanship. Doing this will help build you a great reputation with your employer, and that will assist you when trying to move onto your next gig. Remember, that next employer at Jag, Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi is probably going to contact (joe blow repair station) when you drop off your resume' and when they're talking to your shop manager, you should hope that individual has a good opinion of you, and the work you've performed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive