Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Some Hyundais are built in NORTH KOREA
Uhm... what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
North Korea????

Sure they are!!

Try Montgomery, Alabama.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
North Korea????

Sure they are!!

Try Montgomery, Alabama.

That's only the Veracruz, There is a LARGE assembly plant in Kaesong NORTH KOREA, about five miles north of the DMZ. Every Day trainloads of cars go north, assembled cars come south. It has the South Korean Auto Workers Union up in arms. I wouldn't buy a scab built car anyway. You can thank Senator Portman for that deal, he negotiated it so Hyundai could bring the cars in as built in the south

Last edited by Boompa; 04-11-2012 at 12:03 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
The Sonata is made in the Alabama.

I'm actually going to test drive one in a couple hours. A 2012 Limited 2.0T. Giggity!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
The Sonata is made in the Alabama.

I'm actually going to test drive one in a couple hours. A 2012 Limited 2.0T. Giggity!
I'm sure the slave laborers in North Korea are happy

Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
That's only the Veracruz, There is a LARGE assembly plant in Kaesong NORTH KOREA, about five miles north of the DMZ. Every Day trainloads of cars go north, assembled cars come south. It has the South Korean Auto Workers Union up in arms. I wouldn't buy a scab built car anyway. You can thank Senator Portman for that deal, he negotiated it so Hyundai could bring the cars in as built in the south
Which cars are assembled in North Korea? Where is your evidence of this? And what the hell does a senator from the U.S. have to do with a trade agreement between two other countries?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Quote:
Ended up buying it, loving it!

Dodge Chargers and Chrysler 300's are made in Canada. Dodge Ram's and Ford Fiestas are made in Mexico.

Who cares?

I'd rather buy a car at a non union plant than pay for $30/hr highschool drop out liberal union workers. Fawk them!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Hyundai is a South Korean company.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm pretty sure Hyundai is a South Korean company.
Hyundai has some investments in NK. However, I have found zero evidence that their automotive division is among the divisions invested there, much less that they're assembling cars there and then exporting them while passing them off as ROK-assembled vehicles.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
So I was talking to a friend yesterday about their 2-ish yr old Hyundai. This vehicle is parked under a couple of oak trees that apparently house some kind of insect that dropped a bunch of eggs on it. It is regularly kept clean but the eggs stayed on there for about 1 week, and after washing them off, they melted the paint to the metal and created dozens of orange rust dots the size of pinheads all over the hood. We all have the same oak trees, bugs, climate in this area I've lived in all my life, and this is the only vehicle I've ever seen this happen to.

About 1 year ago, on this same Hyundai, the roof paint started peeling back from the windshield area, exposing the grey metal. Now the bare patch covers several square inches and keeps peeling back in the wind.

When the vehicle was a few months old it completely shut down and wouldn't start back up, necessitating a tow to the dealership (with small kids in tow as well).

Right now at 2-ish yrs old, the engine sounds like "bearing death" for a half-second, when it starts up after sitting for a little while.

Decent build on the interior, and not bad looking to boot, but based on the reliability and body integrity issues, this individual is swearing off Hyundai and looking for something else. Perhaps this is the bad one and all the rest are great. But with my experience working in an auto shop for 2.5 yrs and watching the problems with this one, all I have to say is you people financing compact Elantras in the mid-$20k's are on some other ****.

Being that I keep my vehicles for about 8 years, it's going to take another 5-10 years of my observation before I'd even consider looking at Hyundai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia