Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Why own a car when you can hike to your mailbox for 99
weeks of UI, Section 8, cash assistance and a EBT card.
Of course, you can always do both.

One thing that always amazed me about driving byCabrini Green was seeing a parking lot full of cars. And satellite dishes hanging off the side of the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,454,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'd rather pay $7 per gallon of gas than use public transportation.
Yes god forbid you are in the presence of commoners.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 AM

135 posts, read 175,919 times
Hello.

Fuel may well be expensive and running a car far from cheap but until it becomes possible to transport you and your family from your house to your destination, at a time that suits you, easier and cheaper than using a car then people are going to use a car...

Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,372,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'd rather pay $7 per gallon of gas than use public transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Yes god forbid you are in the presence of commoners.

Public transportation cost far more per person per trip than operating a private car. In Portland, the mecca of public transportation, each rail trip (average distance 11.8 miles) is subsidized at the rate of $20 per trip per person.

And, persons who use pubic transportation (pun intended) are persons with no where to go other than their simple trip to school or the public assistance agency.

People with dry cleaning and soccer practice and meetings and fitness clubs could not rely on public transportation other than along a very narrow corridor of East Coast megacities.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,613,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Then let me explain the subtext to you since it flew over your head: "The premise is so ludicrous as to not be worth a meanigful discussion."

Now are you catching the drift?
Tried plain english lately?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,459,196 times
My Tracfone can't move all my belongings when my apartment lease is up. Nor does it take my coworkers across the plant with ease from parking lot to our BRB. But, it sure does make ME some cash when others use their phones to call ME to help them move.

On the plus side, my truck does NOT receive calls from telemarketers...

Yeah, go ahead and hide under your bed with your phone. Short of gas going 5x on us, I'm going to be fine. Cheap living, FTW.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,424,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
As many will learn there are many ways to "travel" and get things done without the use of a gas (and money) sucking car.

High gas prices? Whatevs — my phone gets me where I want to go | Grist
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You're so right...

"Hey Bobby Sue... go down to the barn and hitch up Thunderbolt and Little Guy to the wagon. We need some vittles from the country store, and Thunderbolt needs new shoes. Where is that cooper? I need those barrels for my moonshine. I need a new buggy whip too."

Remember those days?

'Traveling' by cell phone is about the same as taking a world tour by watching the 'Travel Channel'.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,613,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You're so right...

"Hey Bobby Sue... go down to the barn and hitch up Thunderbolt and Little Guy to the wagon. We need some vittles from the country store, and Thunderbolt needs new shoes. Where is that cooper? I need those barrels for my moonshine. I need a new buggy whip too."

Remember those days?

'Traveling' by cell phone is about the same as taking a world tour by watching the 'Travel Channel'.
Laugh all you want to but the "old days" that you ridicule are sustainable...the way we live today is not.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM

256 posts, read 892,597 times
I'd rather not be dependent on other people to get around.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,515,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
except you will never stop paying got one.. Makes no sense. We own all 3 of our cars and don't pay a cent every month .. And my every day car has been paid off for 5 years now.. And you are still paying.. for something you will never own
.............not to mention when you turn in a lease car the majority of the depreciation has taken place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive