Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM

17,120 posts, read 56,786,488 times

Advertisements

A second vote for used tires, either from a yard, or a shop that specializes in them.

Although - as pointed out, first, this is a performance car, one should not expect a thorobred to be no more trouble than a mule. If you want a mule of a car, next time, get one. So needing new tires at 30K is not unusual.

Are you certain you want to turn it in though? Maybe it is a bad fit for you - OK fine. But you might consider putting on some Kumhos, as posted previously, they are a good tire for a low price. If you or the wife actually appreciate the car, what can I say, you gotta pay to play.

Do check up as to what exactly you are required to do by the terms of the lease. For a lot of people, an H rated tire is a better overall deal than a V - but the lease may require you to put the same speed rating or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 12:04 PM

7,021 posts, read 14,419,480 times
I'd probably include Cheap Tires - Discount Car Tires - Tire Dealers of General, Bridgestone, Goodyear Tires - TireTeam.com in your price comparisons..

If local prices are almost as cheap, it might not be a good idea to pay shipping though..

Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,372,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Pep Boys or walmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
For good tires cheap, I'd go to Sam's Club.

These are the three choices I would make. I'd also price check Tire Rack.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,021,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
When buying tires keep this in mind. Tires are your only connection to the road. It's ok to buy cheap tires but stick to well known name brands. I've seen tire brands with names I can't pronounce at some low buck tire places.

Saving a couple hundred isn't worth your safety.

OP's turning in a leased vehicle.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,608,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
So far $173.77 is the cheapest 225/45R19 92W tires I can find.
Yup. Your option is probably those, or take-offs, as previously mentioned.

Quote:
This car had more replaceable parts on it then my Honda Civic ever had.
Yes, of course it does.

The G37 is a bigger, more powerful, better performing, better equipped, more luxurious, more refined car. Everything is a tradeoff. Refinements, appointments, and performance all come at a price.

I'm not sure why you are complaining that, at 3 years and 30k miles, wear items like tires, windshield wipers, and a couple of filters need replacement. Seriously, some things just wear out. Just because it's a more expensive car, doesn't mean wear items are going to last any longer. The replacement parts will usually be more expensive. This is what people mean when they talk about "cost of ownership".

Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,608,997 times
Quote:
I guess I expected not to have to replace so many parts on a 3 year lease. Thought that was the whole point of a lease, get a new car, do nothing but oil changes and gas and return it before anything starts to break.
The problem is that you didn't lease an economy car. If you lease a base model Civic, it's possible that you might be able to do oil changes and nothing more, simply because there is nothing more to be done. Just a few things to maintain, and virtually nothing to go wrong. A little, lightweight car like that probably won't use up a set of brakes or wear out tires in 36k miles, if it's driven carefully.

Also, some leases include pretty much everything, so you may want to look at that. Of course, you still pay for it, but without the surprise or annoyance at having to maintain anything. But then you lose control over the price you pay for certain maintenance items, because it's already factored as part of the lease.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,583,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned used tires. Seems like the perfect candidate. I get my truck tires used, $50/tire including balancing, disposal, and no tax.
See post #6

Old 03-08-2012, 06:28 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,660,197 times
You need to find out what the threshold is for the lease inspector not to ding you for used up tires. I think 5/32s is like the bare minimum, but ask the Infiniti dealer.

My wife's G35 has the sport package, which comes with a staggered fitment, so she can't even rotate hers. We could have wimped out and gone with the same size all around to make it easier but that defeats the whole purpose. We know when the time comes we can go with Kuhmo Ecstas or Hankook Ventus for a lot less money then Yokohama Advans or Michelin Pilots but even still, we'd be getting max performance all seasons and not compromising the car's handling to an unreasonable degree.

Gotta pay to play.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,786,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You need to find out what the threshold is for the lease inspector not to ding you for used up tires. I think 5/32s is like the bare minimum, but ask the Infiniti dealer.
Good idea, and while you are at it find out how much they will "ding" you in terms of dollars. Probably, it is enough that you will want to buy some cheap or used tires, but, check, it may be a small enough fee that you can just pay it and go on.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,753,670 times
Junk yards have good deals too. Some cars are wrecked with only a few thousand miles on them. I have done this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive