U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Galloway, NJ
1,891 posts, read 2,405,473 times
Reputation: 1651

Advertisements

My wife leased a 2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan and in 6 months the lease is up. Despite only having 30k on the tires they need to be replaced soon. I'm not paying $300 per tire for top of the line when I have to turn the car in soon anyway. Where can I find the cheapest tires anywhere, I'll even consider retreaded tires.

Honestly I'm disappointed in the whole luxury brand thing. This car had more replaceable parts on it then my Honda Civic ever had. So far I had the new brake pads on the front brakes, I replaced the engine filters twice (there 2 of them), replace the air cabin filter, and now the tires and windshield wipers need to be replace soon. And this is a car with only 30k on it, Luxury is just another word to soak you with repair bills.

I got 80k out of my front tires on my Honda Civic and the back tires are still original. I put 90k before I had to have the front brakes done, I'm up to 113k and still haven't done the back breaks yet. There no cabin filter, not sure about an engine air filter, but it must be so cheap I don't notice it on my oil change bills.

So far $173.77 is the cheapest 225/45R19 92W tires I can find.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 AM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...
28,513 posts, read 21,629,733 times
Reputation: 76848
What does your lease agreement say about replacing the tires. Does it require the same tire that on it now an OEM. If not, Walmart probably is your best bet for a cheap tire. A lot of independent tire dealers have what they call 'take-offs'. These are tires taken off new vehicles that the owner wants to have a different tire instead oof what came with the vehicle. These are usually discounted deals.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 AM
 
8,410 posts, read 9,239,161 times
Reputation: 6467
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
My wife leased a 2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan and in 6 months the lease is up. Despite only having 30k on the tires they need to be replaced soon. I'm not paying $300 per tire for top of the line when I have to turn the car in soon anyway. Where can I find the cheapest tires anywhere, I'll even consider retreaded tires.

Honestly I'm disappointed in the whole luxury brand thing. This car had more replaceable parts on it then my Honda Civic ever had. So far I had the new brake pads on the front brakes, I replaced the engine filters twice (there 2 of them), replace the air cabin filter, and now the tires and windshield wipers need to be replace soon. And this is a car with only 30k on it, Luxury is just another word to soak you with repair bills.

I got 80k out of my front tires on my Honda Civic and the back tires are still original. I put 90k before I had to have the front brakes done, I'm up to 113k and still haven't done the back breaks yet. There no cabin filter, not sure about an engine air filter, but it must be so cheap I don't notice it on my oil change bills.

So far $173.77 is the cheapest 225/45R19 92W tires I can find.
Not sure what your expectation of a luxury brand is, but expecting things to last forever just because the car's price is higher isn't very logical. There's a lot more car to a G37 than a Civic. A lot more pieces, like the cabin air filter. The engine pulls in more air because it is much higher performance than the Civic, so the air filter needs to be changed more often. But you don't really know the condition of those filters, because you just paid the bill-not doing any of your own maintenance, are you? Windshield wipers should normally get replaced yearly, so I don't see the complaint about them going 3 years. I wonder how well they were working. If the car is driven as I would expect a G37 buyer to do (I almost bought one, and I drive my cars aggressively) I would assume the brakes need replacing much sooner than an econobox Civic. High performance tires don't last as long as econobox tires do, and the G37 is a much heavier car. That being said, I can't imagine tires on any passenger vehicle lasting 80K and still being in safe condtion, especially the front tires on a FWD vehicle. If you're rotating the tires as recommended, then how can you determine that one pair is from the front?

What is the tread depth of the tires on the G37?

It sounds to me like the G37 is being maintained to a much higher standard than the Civic, which will raise the maintenance costs. You're applying econobox thinking to a luxury/semi-performance automobile, and that will never add up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 AM
Status: "OK, winter can end any day now! ;)" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Back in Defo....WI
3,254 posts, read 4,235,599 times
Reputation: 1612
you can also try places like Discount Tire and Tire America, perhaps Sams as well. Though you are only going to get so "cheap" with 19's on the car
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,785 posts, read 10,452,198 times
Reputation: 2152
Pep Boys or walmart
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Central Jersey
3,043 posts, read 8,139,091 times
Reputation: 1710
If you go on ebay and type in the tire your looking for you'll probably come up with dozens if not hundreds of hits. There are a number of tire dealers on ebay that have used tires available in varying degrees of condition. I just got my niece a set of 4 16" tires for her Ford Focus for $149.00 including shipping. Most of the large resellers on ebay will note any damage to the tire and the amount of thread left. I would always ask if the tire has any plugs / patches / sidewall damage. The 4 we got had no damage and still had about 70% thread left. In my opinion they are perfect for people that are turning in a lease, or for someone trading in a vehicle that needs tires.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Galloway, NJ
1,891 posts, read 2,405,473 times
Reputation: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
But you don't really know the condition of those filters, because you just paid the bill-not doing any of your own maintenance, are you?
Yes, I replaced the filters myself. I had the dealership do the brakes, but I'm not paying $50 a filter when I can put them in myself for $15 each. Yes I will admit they were dirty when I replaced them. They are easy to replace in the engine compartment. The air cabin filter was more difficult, it's behind the glove box, has to be removed to replace it. The car was beginning to smell, replacing it solved that issue. I guess I expected not to have to replace so many parts on a 3 year lease. Thought that was the whole point of a lease, get a new car, do nothing but oil changes and gas and return it before anything starts to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Windshield wipers should normally get replaced yearly, so I don't see the complaint about them going 3 years.
Yearly!? Wow, I've never replaced them yearly, I replace them when they do not do a good job keeping the windshield clear when it rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I wonder how well they were working
Not good, the wife is complaining. I tell her not to drive in the rain, how hard is that. I promised I'd do them Saturday for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That being said, I can't imagine tires on any passenger vehicle lasting 80K and still being in safe condtion, especially the front tires on a FWD vehicle.
Yea, I'll admit they were pretty shot when I replaced them, they were not bald, but not much tread let on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If you're rotating the tires as recommended, then how can you determine that one pair is from the front?
Well or course they rotate, when I drive down the road, they rotate very well thank you. As for switching them around, Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What is the tread depth of the tires on the G37?
The dealership says next time the car is in for service, they need to check the tread depth. Don't know exactly, but they look due to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It sounds to me like the G37 is being maintained to a much higher standard than the Civic, which will raise the maintenance costs. You're applying econobox thinking to a luxury/semi-performance automobile, and that will never add up.
I love my paid off econobox, easy on gas, easy on maintenance. I guess I am pushing it too much, need to get rear tires, and the rear brakes done. I'm not doing performance driving either. It gets me to work every day.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 AM
 
1,060 posts, read 1,049,202 times
Reputation: 542
I replace the tires on my cars when I start looking at them funny. My wifes car went 50K on a set of Goodyears, I expect to get more than that out of the Michelins I put on it...25K and they're still going strong. I was on the third set of tires for my Jeep when I traded it in at 74K. First set got tossed right after I bought it, at 14K. Second set got tossed somewhere around 60. Third set was still going strong at 75..but then again, I put all-terrains on my SUVs so I expect them to not last awhile. You gotta pay to play, my friend - you want a luxury car, expect to pay luxury prices when things come due, and tires ain't cheap. I can tell you from experience that a cheap tire is going to ride like crap, especially on a "performance car".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Poway, CA
2,598 posts, read 5,017,658 times
Reputation: 1879
Brand new, shop www.tires.com (Discount) or Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels. Used, hit up craigslist.

If all you want out of a car is Point-A-to-Point-B transportation, then I can see how you'd prefer the Civic over the G37. I wouldn't say anything in the list of items you listed surprises me, though. They're all wear items, and with the exception of the air filters, the life you got out of them sounds about right.

Mike
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,939 posts, read 9,691,469 times
Reputation: 4272
For good tires cheap, I'd go to Sam's Club.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top