Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM

3,511 posts, read 7,749,982 times

Advertisements

Well or course for some people biking isn't an option, I however live within 10 miles of work. I figure it would take me a good 90 minutes to make the trip by bike, I could get it down to an hour or less once I get in better shape. I also thought about those scooters that get 80 MPG. Gas would have to go up to $15 a gallon, that's pretty much unaffordable levels to me.

(figuring at today's salary level, I know in time inflation will push gas this high, even if there are sufficient supplies in the future)

What about you, what's your break the bank amount for gas before you would bike to work every day? Is it something you do every day, or only when it's not raining or 20 degrees outside.

What about taking public transportation instead. For me I'd have to walk 4 miles to catch the bus, transfer to another bus to get to the local bus terminal. Take a shuttle, then walk about a 1/2 mile from where the shuttle drops me off. probably be a lot quicker to bike it.

Last edited by TechGromit; 03-08-2012 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,766,357 times
I guess it would have to be 50 bucks a gallon, since I have a 20 mile commute, 15 of which are on an interstate. Gas prices have had me looking more often for jobs closer to home, though.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 AM

25,776 posts, read 16,386,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I guess it would have to be 50 bucks a gallon, since I have a 20 mile commute, 15 of which are on an interstate. Gas prices have had me looking more often for jobs closer to home, though.
We have become such an oil-based society that I think twenty dollar gas will spell many more problems than driving to work. Food prices would skyrocket and become short. And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Twenty dollar gas would cause a complete economic collapse.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,028,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Well or course for some people biking isn't an option, I however live within 10 miles of work. I figure it would take me a good 90 minutes to make the trip by bike, I could get it down to an hour or less once I get in better shape. I also thought about those scooters that get 80 MPG. Gas would have to go up to $15 a gallon, that's pretty much unaffordable levels to me.

(figuring at today's salary level, I know in time inflation will push gas this high, even if there are sufficient supplies in the future)

What about you, what's your break the bank amount for gas before you would bike to work every day? Is it something you do every day, or only when it's not raining or 20 degrees outside.

What about taking public transportation instead. For me I'd have to walk 4 miles to catch the bus, transfer to another bus to get to the local bus terminal. Take a shuttle, then walk about a 1/2 mile from where the shuttle drops me off. probably be a lot quicker to bike it.
Pretty damned expensive, I work from home....

Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,614,182 times
I fly to work, so I'd probably just be screwed.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,227,534 times
I doubt that the price of gas will ever get to $10 a gallon. Here is why: We currently purchase our oil from off shore because the cost to get the fuel out of our ground. At some point the cost to produce it here will be off set when the price hits a certain level. For example we can make a profit on $5 a gallon gas here in the states. At that point production ramps up and we start using our own supply of oil. When OPEC sees that we are buying less they lower the cost.

My theory any way. LOL

Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,784,628 times
I did 13 miles each way a few days a week before the kid came along, requiring me to pick up at daycare every evening. Wasn't gas prices though. I just liked to bike to work. Can't say it really saved me any money anyway since my bike and accessories cost more than many people's cars.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,126,224 times
If it gets high enough for people to ditch their cars in place of scooters and bikes, I won't have much of a reason to show up at work - I sell parts for cars, not bikes.

Another question is "at what price will you be out of a job?".

Old 03-08-2012, 09:55 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,685,323 times
It'd have to be pretty expensive...I ride a Yamaha 6 months or more out of the year, so i only put in 6 gallons or so a week =). My Jeep on the other hand takes 16-18 gallons a week, depending on how close to empty I really want to get, I usually fill up at a quarter tank. Already costs me 60-70 to fill it up. I bought it knowing gas sucked though, so no worries.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,455,656 times
My commute is 27 miles. I have to wear a suit at work. I live in Mchigan. Thus biking is impractical. However in the summer we go to "business causual" dress. I may try biking in, but I have to go through some rough neighborhoods. I will have to carry a handgun. A good handgun costs $450. CCW classes anouther $150. It probably will not save me $600 to ride my bike in during the summer, especially since I could not do it every day. However I may try it becasue it will be good for my health. Besides it will give me a reason to convince my wife that I need to buy a handgun. They are fun to shoot at targets. Also I will be ready for the next zombie apocolypse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive