U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM

13,349 posts, read 16,509,989 times

Advertisements

I kinda like having lots of choices based on whatever my needs and wants are instead of being pegged to a few "common sense" cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If they had any common sense, they wouldn't waste money on something that will depreciate down to nothing in a few years. It's a method of getting from point A to B. Why wouldn't you want to impress your friends and neighbors with your common sense and frugality? And if they are impressed by the glitz of a Lexus are they the kind of friends you want anyway?

I used to make visits to people's homes as part of my job years ago. Every once in a while I had to go to a suburb that was gated off with guards at the entrance. The houses at that time were worth 5 mil a piece minimum with some being worth much more. The thing that always blew me away is how smart the people were with their money. They drove Toyota's and Nissans. Hardly ever did you see a "luxury" car. These people had real money, they weren't pretenders.

I stopped at this house one day, probably worth 10 mil and had to go in the garage and then into the house. They had a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Accord. The lady was packing a lunch into a basket--she was taking the kids to the zoo or something. She told me they dont' waste money eating out.

That's the kind of thing that impresses me, not meaningless cars.

Did you actually say "rice burner"? I haven't heard that term since the 80's.
Your post is funny. Why do think these people were smart because you only saw ordinary cars? Are you sure you saw what was parked in the garage? And why was it smart to spend $5M on a house?

A Rogue is a tolerable vehicle but decidedly ugly and smaller than an MDX. More than adequate for many, but I wouldn't drive one.

Do you buy shoes that simply cover your feet or do you spend more than the minimum for something that looks good and might last longer?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:57 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,707,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your post is funny. Why do think these people were smart because you only saw ordinary cars? Are you sure you saw what was parked in the garage? And why was it smart to spend $5M on a house?

A Rogue is a tolerable vehicle but decidedly ugly and smaller than an MDX. More than adequate for many, but I wouldn't drive one.

Do you buy shoes that simply cover your feet or do you spend more than the minimum for something that looks good and might last longer?
BOTTOM LINE: You buy what you can afford.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 PM

19,839 posts, read 10,542,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

That was in the mid to late 90's when a house was still a smart purchase

I hear what you are saying and I understand your need to look down on me in my Rogue.

I was just stating my opinion and I truly believe that the more you spend on a car the dumber you are but that's just me. Big, free country.

Some people think a Hummer H2 is a smart vehicle to buy, you may not agree with them either.

If I was spending Lexus money (glorified Toyota) I would have a BMW or a Benz and have a real car, but that's just me.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:38 PM

17,482 posts, read 18,638,752 times
Quote:

If I was spending Lexus money (glorified Toyota)
How does this

LS | Overview

compare to this?

Toyota Avalon

Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,920,188 times
Quote:
That was in the mid to late 90's when a house was still a smart purchase

I hear what you are saying and I understand your need to look down on me in my Rogue.

I was just stating my opinion and I truly believe that the more you spend on a car the dumber you are but that's just me. Big, free country.

Some people think a Hummer H2 is a smart vehicle to buy, you may not agree with them either.

If I was spending Lexus money (glorified Toyota) I would have a BMW or a Benz and have a real car, but that's just me.
"The more you spend on a car, the dumber you are"

Hmm...so does the teenager who works at McDonalds and drives a $1K beater smarter than the neurosurgeon who drives a $150K Porsche 911?! I'd say a more ACCURATE statement would be "The more you spend on a car, the more you VALUE the type of vehicle you drive".

I'm not a big fan of Lexus, their design doesn't really do much for me but I would say they're NOT simply a glorified Toyota. Parents had both a 2007 ES350 and a 2008 LS460; both vehicles were quite swank albeit not vehicles a 30-something year old male would care to drive. You're really comparing apples and oranges; drive a Camry and an LS460 back to back and see if you come to the same conclusion.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
so does anyone know if they're planning to bring a hybrid version of the MDX to market soon? I've heard rumors they've been working on it for the past couple yrs.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times
Quote:
If they had any common sense, they wouldn't waste money on something that will depreciate down to nothing in a few years. It's a method of getting from point A to B. Why wouldn't you want to impress your friends and neighbors with your common sense and frugality? And if they are impressed by the glitz of a Lexus are they the kind of friends you want anyway?

I used to make visits to people's homes as part of my job years ago. Every once in a while I had to go to a suburb that was gated off with guards at the entrance. The houses at that time were worth 5 mil a piece minimum with some being worth much more. The thing that always blew me away is how smart the people were with their money. They drove Toyota's and Nissans. Hardly ever did you see a "luxury" car. These people had real money, they weren't pretenders.

I stopped at this house one day, probably worth 10 mil and had to go in the garage and then into the house. They had a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Accord. The lady was packing a lunch into a basket--she was taking the kids to the zoo or something. She told me they dont' waste money eating out.

That's the kind of thing that impresses me, not meaningless cars.

Did you actually say "rice burner"? I haven't heard that term since the 80's.
Yeah, save $20 on lunch to spend $100,000 on property taxes... not to mention the ludicrous gardening, maintenance, and HOA fees on a ten million dollar estate with manned gate. Real smart money there. If I had that kind of money, I'd rather have a more normal 1-2 million dollar house (that actually is normal in the Bay Area) and save $80,000-$90,000 or so a year on my property taxes. A two million dollar home is more than I'd want.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,101,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, save $20 on lunch to spend $100,000 on property taxes... not to mention the ludicrous gardening, maintenance, and HOA fees on a ten million dollar estate with manned gate. Real smart money there. If I had that kind of money, I'd rather have a more normal 1-2 million dollar house (that actually is normal in the Bay Area) and save $80,000-$90,000 or so a year on my property taxes. A two million dollar home is more than I'd want.
LOL, no kidding. His story is either BS or the couple is so house poor they are driving POS Corolla's and packing their lunch every day. LOL.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,141,528 times
Unless you like fake wood, ugly and average the Acura is for you, otherwise go with the Lexus, it created the segment and is the leader in the segment. Whats sad is the MDX is Acura's best product and that ain't saying much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive