U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,034,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That was in the mid to late 90's when a house was still a smart purchase

I hear what you are saying and I understand your need to look down on me in my Rogue.

I was just stating my opinion and I truly believe that the more you spend on a car the dumber you are but that's just me. Big, free country.

Some people think a Hummer H2 is a smart vehicle to buy, you may not agree with them either.

If I was spending Lexus money (glorified Toyota) I would have a BMW or a Benz and have a real car, but that's just me.
You really don't know much about cars. Most Lexus models are not based on "regular" Toyotas. The ES and RX are derived from the Camry chassis, but that doesn't mean the only thing different is the body. All the other Lexus gasoline cars are RWD (IS, GS, LS), and they have no related Toyota model.

Of course you can state your opinion. But for most people who spend time on an automobile forum they are a matter of enthusiasm and personal choice. By your standard, there is no reason for anything but point A to B vehicles. Maybe it should just be one brand, controlled by the Feds. A true "people's car" ala the original Volkswagon.

The Rogue is a decent vehicle. But why did Nissan make it so ugly? (sorry to criticize what you drive). Why did you choose a Rogue over its CR-V, RAV4, Hyundai, etc. competitors? The Rogue probably isn't the most reliable of the bunch. You must have applied some subjective criteria when you chose it.

We all apply subjective criteria when we buy cars.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,680,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You really don't know much about cars. Most Lexus models are not based on "regular" Toyotas. The ES and RX are derived from the Camry chassis, but that doesn't mean the only thing different is the body. All the other Lexus gasoline cars are RWD (IS, GS, LS), and they have no related Toyota model.

Of course you can state your opinion. But for most people who spend time on an automobile forum they are a matter of enthusiasm and personal choice. By your standard, there is no reason for anything but point A to B vehicles. Maybe it should just be one brand, controlled by the Feds. A true "people's car" ala the original Volkswagon.

The Rogue is a decent vehicle. But why did Nissan make it so ugly? (sorry to criticize what you drive). Why did you choose a Rogue over its CR-V, RAV4, Hyundai, etc. competitors? The Rogue probably isn't the most reliable of the bunch. You must have applied some subjective criteria when you chose it.

We all apply subjective criteria when we buy cars.
Agreed.

I'm also curious as to why he chose the Rogue, not saying it's a bad vehicle in any regard but the styling is a bit more...bold than say a CR-V.

The ES and RX are tremendously popular, obviously there is a reason for that. If both were overpriced versions of the Camry, they wouldn't be such hot sellers.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM

13,034 posts, read 14,409,631 times
The Rogue is also tiny compared to an RX or MDX. The CR-V or even Murano would be more comparable in size and utility although they're still smaller. The Rogue is more similar to the RDX.

The ES is kind of an overpriced Camry... but the Lexus badge and decent interior are worth the $6,000 more than an loaded V6 Camry to a lot of people. I can certainly see why. The interior on a Camry is... yeah.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 PM

5,007 posts, read 3,432,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
The next RX 350 will be at dealers next month:

Lexus RX 350, RX 450h get family grille face lift, LEDs

Looks like the 3rd Generation MDX will be released as a 2013 model later in the fall. Really not much recent info on it, from what I can find.
Honda/Acura tend to be tight-lipped about their redesigns until right before they happen. For instance, the first pictures and release date of the 2008 Accord were released 8/21/2007, just three weeks before the car's 9/12/2007 introduction. So the 3rd generation MDX could be coming out later this month (July 2012) and info not released on it yet.

Honda/Acuras typically come out between August and November; I suspect the 3rd gen MDX will be coming out then. But you never know. The 2013 ILX and RDX came out May 2012, the 2012 Civic came April 2011, and the 2012 TL in March 2011.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 10,924,908 times
Quote:
I stopped at this house one day, probably worth 10 mil and had to go in the garage and then into the house. They had a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Accord. The lady was packing a lunch into a basket--she was taking the kids to the zoo or something. She told me they dont' waste money eating out.

That's the kind of thing that impresses me, not meaningless cars.
Bad argument. The $10mil house didn't put you off? I mean a $250k house does the same thing, does it not? But but but...

If you're into cars, it doesn't matter if you're rich or not... you're going to get the nicest you can. Some people don't do it for recognition. They do it because it's actually a nice car. It's in the fit/finish & usually customer service. Lexus is tops, even though I'm not a fan of their lineup. How anyone can possibly compare that to a Nissan Rogue is beyond me. Obviously not a fan of cars. If you're a point A to point B person, please keep such arguments to yourselves.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM

5,218 posts, read 7,407,320 times
Quote:

I stopped at this house one day, probably worth 10 mil and had to go in the garage and then into the house. They had a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Accord.
Yeah they belonged to the housekeeper and the gardener.

J/k

Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,482,535 times
Quote:
She told me they dont' waste money eating out...
... because they prefer to flush it down the toilet everywhere else, apparently.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 AM

5,007 posts, read 3,432,755 times
The 2014 MDX is the redesigned model, and will launch this fall. I will ride in one by December 24, 2013 so when I ride in one, I can tell you about it. Why December 24, 2013? I want to ride in one while I'm still under 21, and I was born December 25, 1992.

The RX350 was redesigned in 2010 so the next generation probably won't be out until 2016 or so.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 AM

5,076 posts, read 7,652,691 times
Quote:

I stopped at this house one day, probably worth 10 mil and had to go in the garage and then into the house. They had a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Accord. The lady was packing a lunch into a basket--she was taking the kids to the zoo or something. She told me they dont' waste money eating out.

That's the kind of thing that impresses me, not meaningless cars.
I don't even know what to say about that. The typical remodels people do on $5M+ homes cost way more than a fleet of luxury cars. Sure, not everyone does that, but the idea that living in large multi-million dollar luxury homes is somehow frugal (unless most of the value is in the land) is absurd.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 AM

4,157 posts, read 5,643,359 times
We have an RX and so does my father. Nice cars. He considered an MDX but didn't like it.

I think the MDX is bigger and has a 3rd row seat. So, if you want bigger go MDX. Both are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive