U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,536,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
BS.

You can readily paint these with a HVLP spray rig ... I've even bought a cheapie Harbor Freight special and painted cars with it and had no problems using a 3HP air compressor .... Not the ideal set-up compared to my shop's big 3ph240v12HP compressor, but still the "make-do" set-up was adequate for a few small jobs on-site.

Spoken like a man with a hooptie. Why not a brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 PM

10,911 posts, read 41,424,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Spoken like a man with a hooptie. Why not a brush.
Anybody who advises that all paint systems must receive two topcoats of a specific clear coat product without advising that the entire coating system should be of compatible materials ... best achieved by using one manufacturer's coating system throughout the project ...

isn't what I'd rate as capable of painting a kid's tricycle ....

with or without a High pressure spray gun.

Maybe you're the brush artiste?

FWIW, I'm a manufacturer's rep in industrial coating systems and I deal with everything from decorative systems through protective systems on buildings, structures, equipment, and machinery on a professional basis. Have done so for decades ... and my first paint jobs on boats and aircraft with linear polyurethanes started back in the 1960's when these products were first developed for military applications (Frazee's Laminar X-500, an underwater performance coating to enhance submarine speeds wound up on a bunch of racing sailboats for those in the know back then ....), before they even hit the retail/commercial marketplace. I've been doing hi-tech performance and decorative paint systems for awhile ... for some very demanding corporations in their retail and commercial facilities ... as well as involved with multi-million dollar car restorations, aircraft refinishing, boat refinishing, etc. Good looking finishes sell a lot better to industrial customers than sloppy workmanship there, too ... so I'm very demanding when it comes to proper surface prep, priming, masking, proper system selection and application. We've done everything from corporate facility logo's on equipment/machinery to the logo embedded in their building entryway floors ....

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-17-2012 at 12:04 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Anybody who advises that all paint systems must receive two topcoats of a specific clear coat product without advising that the entire coating system should be of compatible materials ... best achieved by using one manufacturer's coating system throughout the project ...

isn't what I'd rate as capable of painting a kid's tricycle ....

with or without a High pressure spray gun.

Maybe you're the brush artiste?

FWIW, I'm a manufacturer's rep in industrial coating systems and I deal with everything from decorative systems through protective systems on buildings, structures, equipment, and machinery on a professional basis. Have done so for decades ... and my first paint jobs on boats and aircraft with linear polyurethanes started back in the 1960's when these products were first developed for military applications (Frazee's Laminar X-500, an underwater performance coating to enhance submarine speeds wound up on a bunch of racing sailboats for those in the know back then ....), before they even hit the retail/commercial marketplace. I've been doing hi-tech performance and decorative paint systems for awhile ... for some very demanding corporations in their retail and commercial facilities ... as well as involved with multi-million dollar car restorations, aircraft refinishing, boat refinishing, etc. Good looking finishes sell a lot better to industrial customers than sloppy workmanship there, too ... so I'm very demanding when it comes to proper surface prep, priming, masking, proper system selection and application. We've done everything from corporate facility logo's on equipment/machinery to the logo embedded in their building entryway floors ....
It appears that you misread my post .

Aside from that, I am sure you are a very accomplished person, blah, blah, blah, but, you know, some people like their whole truck to look like it was painted professionally. So, you can drive what you want, but for $600 I suggest the OP take the body shop route. If not, he has to put a two part clear coat on it (just like the body of his truck has) or three years from now it will look like rattle cans were used. If he goes to buy Delclear, for example, they will make sure he is using an acrylic urethane or other compatible chemistry for his color.

BTW, save the call of BS for an appropriate time like when someone claims 9-11 was an inside job, or equivalent, otherwise people will know your don't really get this forum posting thing. After all, my opinion on this topic is just as valid as yours, your stunning resume notwithstanding.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 AM

10,911 posts, read 41,424,065 times
Quote:
I doubt it ...

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I don't deny that you've got one ...

a very narrow one, indeed.

Where you persist in asserting that only one type of application equipment and one product will yield professional quality durable results.

The facts are that:

(1) the coatings/paint industry has developed numerous product lines/chemistry that yield excellent cosmetic and durable results but each is unique and cannot be comingled without risk of chemical reactions within the coating systems, and

(2) the application industry has developed numerous techniques for applying the products. They range from high pressure to low pressure systems, plural nozzle systems, and others which do a magnificent job of superb application. Restricting an automotive application to only a high pressure gun application is not necessary when other affordable options ... such as a low pressure application gun are available.

(3) with reasonable care, an amateur painter can achieve excellent results on an item such as a topper which isn't very a complex shape or difficult to access readily.

(4) a number of coating systems will durably perform without clear coats even in high UV exposure locations.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 AM

144 posts, read 471,090 times
I will wait and find one in black.
I am looking for a professional job, not really worried about cost as i have money set aside for this. I have seen the black truck with white topper on it. Not what i am looking for. I have also seen the rattle can painted toppers, again not looking for that either. I have a great looking truck and want to keep it that way. I am willing to wait for a good used one in black or buy new. I was just a bit shocked at the price to paint one, but in reality, sounds about right. Seems even if i bought a new Leer topper for $1500 i could resell it when i trade my truck in a few years and get a grand back anyways. From what i have seen they really hold their value and sell fast.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I doubt it ...
Actually you did. You claimed that I said two coats of clear were needed when what I actually said was that a two part clear coat like Delclear was what was needed. It is. And, since the body shop will be doing the OP's top, if anyone does, then he will get exactly that.

And, since you are so much involved in painting things, you should familiarize yourself with two part acrylic urethane clear coat products like Delclear. They really pop the colors out and the underlying paint will fade, if at all, at the same rate as the truck.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,232 times
I just bought a used cab even topper that is blue in color. I have wet sanded it and almost all of the blue paint has came off,which I think is good. I plan to paint it white to match my S10 truck. I have read many of the responses and suggestions of how and what to use. My truck will need a paint job this summer. I am famiiar with prep and painting processes. I did some in my younger days. I believe I am going with the rattel can idea for now. I'll wait and see how my truck turns out. I feel like I can always go back and hit the topper again if it doesn't look as good as the truck! Just a little extra labor.
Any thoughts??

Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,569 posts, read 51,131,641 times
I wouldn't use a rattle can, the spray pattern is just too too limited to get even coverage, and tends to show where you overlapped on something that size. When I did the black one with Rustoleum and HVLP gun, it looked better than the truck, which was about 7 years old at the time.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM

774 posts, read 1,997,283 times
$600 is about right if it's a cap for a full sized truck. My Tacoma has a cap that I paid $400 to get painted about 3 yrs ago..

Old Today, 02:36 AM

1 posts
[url]https://www.besthvlpspraygun.com/how-to/fix-uneven-spray-paint/[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive