Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,782 times

Advertisements

I could see this as a viable option for a person looking to replace an econobox. I'm not a huge fan of hybrids but the price is getting down to the level of a "normal" car and less than a diesel. Sure makes the Volt look like a loser, big surprise, Toyota punks GM again.

When I was last looking for a new car in 2008, the Yaris was going for $17 or so. $20K for 46mpg highway sounds good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 03:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
The peoplepraising this car, have you ever driven a Yaris? I had a rental yaris. It was gutless, and all I could fit behind the backseat was one tool bag I had in the trunk of a car. I mean if you had a kid you could hold a baby bag, if lucky an umbrella stroller. I honestly think it would be hilarious for someone with a kid to do a normal weekly shopping trip.

Yes the fuel mileage is nice, but you are in a glorified gokart.

The positive side, the one I drove had manual locks, but I could reach all 4 from the driver seat.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:18 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Don't know if its still the same. Don't have any references like a proper internet warrior.. But awhile back. I remember reading an article that the carbon footprint of a Prius was bigger then a bummer h2.
From earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I agree with you that there are some environmental issues related to the production of the batteries, but they are not nearly the massive issues that people spun them to be in the wake of that "Hummers are better for the environment then a Prius" report which has been totally debunked.
Here's a link to one of the reports that debunked the Hummer/Prius myth:

http://www.pacinst.org/topics/integr...r_vs_prius.pdf

Old 03-17-2012, 04:33 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Depends on your situation. Maybe the wife has a 4 door tundra at the house to move the kids around and shopping and such. Say she's a teacher that's school is 3 miles from the house. Then maybe you work at a plant that's 50 miles from the house. Just because your situation may afford you the luxury of a large full size vehicle doesn't mean the situation is the same for everyone. One thang that's making the Prius sales so strong is the fact that the heavier the stop and go traffic, the higher the mpg the car gets. If you live in a spot where the commute is basically highway miles, with little traffic, the Prius's gas mileage goes down.
If your a plumber and need a pile of tools, nope the prius wont be for you.
Now if your a plumber at a plant where ya'll be working at the same site for years, where you have a gang box for your tools and a company truck you work in at the plant the Prius will save you 1,000's of dollars in gas per year.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
The "highway mileage drop" is not very signifigant.. especially if you understand how they work and the driver is not a "pedal snapper".. for example.. the first time I ever drive a current gen prius (EPA rating 51city 48hwy) was from boston to nyc... I averaged 74 mph, between 70 and 80mph mostly and got 53 mpg... I routinely get between 45-55mpg on a prius, with maybe a 3-4mpg drop during EXTREMELY cold winter in new england... This is all on company cars, that I surely dont "baby", but it does get fun playing the how much mpg can I get yet travel swiftly and safely game.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:40 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Looks like the love child of a storm trooper and a particularly ugly toad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion