Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,580 times

Advertisements

Alright folks, need input on which of these three tires to put on my Chevy Truck. Mostly highway, but occasional off roading. Dry, rain and snow conditions throughout the year. 4x4 truck. Thanks and what reasons for choosing that tire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i really liked my goodrich at/ko's... best all around tire i had on any of my trucks.

i think ill give the duratracs a try on my jeep when i need tires again.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
I'll probably put the LTX M/S2s on my grand cherokee when I swap out the tires. Highly rated all around on the forums and i've never had a problem with Michelin. That, or Bridgestone Revos.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM

Looks like I am leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires. Anyone have this tire?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
I have the Discoverer H/Ts. Only been on a week, but I like 'em.

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels is an excellent source for tire reviews, by the way.

Mike

Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I looked into a lot of tires before I bought a set for my 4x4 Ranger, and I have been very pleased with my choice, which was the Firestone Destination ATs.
At the time they were rated #2 by Tire rack, currently, 2 years later they are #1. They show no wear after about 30,000 miles, you can crawl rock with them and yet they are not too rough on the highway. In snow, I keep 3 bags of sand in the back for stopping but I can go up the hills easily in 4 wheel drive. The Goodyear Wrangler ATS that came on it were terrible, fishtailed even in rain.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Driven on all three choices, all on Chevy pick-ups and/or Suburbans (1/2 & 3/4 ton for each). The Michelin were the worst set of tires I have EVER had on a truck (tied for last place with the Michelin LT4's). The Goodrich were decent, but out of those three; the Coopers are head and shoulders better than the other two you have listed. Best set I ran though were an off-brand set that were cheap (I needed a set BAD and the bank account wouldn't let me buy another set of Coopers) were GT Radials "Adventuro AT II" Those things wore like iron and had very good traction. They lasted great on my 3/4 ton Suburban and I drove them through some nasty places... deep sand, mud, clay, rock, jobsites with nails and screws, and were pretty quiet on the pavement. The Drivers side rear tire had a sheetrock screw in it I picked up on a jobsite and as long as the tire wasn't leaking air I didn't bother with it... that screw was there for almost 2 full years before I remembered to have it removed and fixed.

Last edited by Bydand; 03-17-2012 at 06:20 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Well, I bought the Cooper Discoverer AT3 today and on the ride home they felt good. They are quieter than the tires I took off. They tread pattern is a new design this last year and apparently consumers rated them number 1 for an AT tire. Oh well, I can only wait to put miles on them for another evaluation.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 13,198 times
Bydand:

"Best set I ran though were an off-brand set that were cheap (I needed a set BAD and the bank account wouldn't let me buy another set of Coopers) were GT Radials "Adventuro AT II" Those things wore like iron and had very good traction. They lasted great on my 3/4 ton Suburban and I drove them through some nasty places... deep sand, mud, clay, rock, jobsites with nails and screws, and were pretty quiet on the pavement. The Drivers side rear tire had a sheetrock screw in it I picked up on a jobsite and as long as the tire wasn't leaking air I didn't bother with it... that screw was there for almost 2 full years before I remembered to have it removed and fixed."

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your GT Radial Adventuros.

__________________________________________________ __

David
GT Radial Consultant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive