Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If gas was $9.00 a gallon, what would you do?
Drive less 40 35.71%
Consolidate your trips 28 25.00%
Think about trading your car in for a more efficient model 22 19.64%
Take local public transportation to at least some of your destinations 19 16.96%
Walk / bike to at least some of your destinations 24 21.43%
Motorcycle / moped / scoot to at least some of your destinations 17 15.18%
Take fewer leisure drives 21 18.75%
Reconsider long-distance car travel 25 22.32%
Other 14 12.50%
Nothing 30 26.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Stealth,

"Those vehicles do not meet current EPA requirements and could not be produced today.

All mine are Emission checked bi-annually on a dyno, and they have ZERO (Indiscernible) emissions

The current crop of diesels do not get near the mileage of the older models with more relaxed clean air requirements."

You CAN get efficient diesels, (stay away from auto tranny) and WE WILL be able to have more choice when USA EPA embraces Euro Spec fuel (Our when we have high quality Bio-d from any number of sources (Which may not include the National Soybean Council, who controls USA BD)

The fry grease and surplus oil is not a viable solution for the masses.

As mentioned there are hundred of sources of BD feedstock, no shortage of that.

Additionally, one needs to mail in their state and federal road use taxes

Of course we do that, it is part of filing a schedule F (BTDT for 30+ yrs)

... That is a real-world view.
Agreed that it is a BIG problem, (as mentioned I was spending $1500/ day @ harvest when fuel was nearing $5/gal)

but THIS, is a real world solution; and YOU can participate.
Quote:
There is a ton we can do with conservation, it dwarfs most other options... but then we (USA) could use an intuitive Energy Policy... THAT will not come from Washington DC,,,
as well as utilizing ALL resources (including waste oil) instead we send it to China, only to to buy back as lipstick.

I contribute by driving a 30 yr old vehicle with minimal fuel use and emission, while preserving current resources ($$ and materials) that are tied up in $30k 'econo' cars. Maint is EZ and could be done by any high school kid back in the days of 'tinkering in garage'. No EE degree or ASE certificate required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
... diesels can play a very important role in our future in becoming energy independent. ...
Do be advised that Bio Diesel ASTM D6751 is a direct replacement for Diesel and a HUGE benefit to reduced emissions (~ 75%). NO MODIFICATIONS required to post 1993 vehicles (discontinued Butyl hoses)

There are hundreds of feedstocks to make it, and more being developed.

The issue is costs... and $5.00/gal is a viability thresh-hold.

Powering Tugboats, locomotives, trucks / buses, construction equipment, farm tractors, jets ... with lower emission fuel will reap great benefits. So I'm all for quickly finding a dino diesel substitute. (Tho CARB would not agree).

BTW: there are lots of small and midsized diesel conversions from Cummins 4bt engine. Find yourself on old bread truck and make a swap. I would not be waiting for for some new computerized diesel with an EXPENSIVE exhaust scrubber.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Do be advised that Bio Diesel ASTM D6751 is a direct replacement for Diesel and a HUGE benefit to reduced emissions (~ 75%). NO MODIFICATIONS required to post 1993 vehicles (discontinued Butyl hoses)

There are hundreds of feedstocks to make it, and more being developed.

The issue is costs... and $5.00/gal is a viability thresh-hold.

Powering Tugboats, locomotives, trucks / buses, construction equipment, farm tractors, jets ... with lower emission fuel will reap great benefits. So I'm all for quickly finding a dino diesel substitute. (Tho CARB would not agree).

BTW: there are lots of small and midsized diesel conversions from Cummins 4bt engine. Find yourself on old bread truck and make a swap. I would not be waiting for for some new computerized diesel with an EXPENSIVE exhaust scrubber.
I'm sure it can be done unfortunately it's not my area of expertise. I focused on the home side of the equation building a passive solar home, super insulated and 96% efficient propane furnace. I'm using 1/3 to 1/2 what my neighbors do for heating and ac.

I have an 11 Elantra for daily commutes. Real world mpg 30 to 32 combined. The highway claim of 40 mpg is pure fiction.

There should be 70 mpg single/double occupant commuter vehicles available in US. Something is wrong with the offerings. It's sad that a tiny car like the Scion IQ is only able to achieve 38 mpg when other parts of the world are seeing much higher mpg from the same vehicle.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
Well, I'd cuss ...

Then take the bus.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:10 AM

Quote:
...There should be 70 mpg single/double occupant commuter vehicles available in US. Something is wrong with the offerings. ...other parts of the world are seeing much higher mpg from the same vehicle.
It's called "Big-Brother" or... EPA. They strap all kinds of restrictions and gadgets in a feeble attempt to reduce emissions, (at a huge cost to efficiency). No one bothered to calculate how much better on the overall consumption / environment it would be to have something simple and efficient.

As I have mentioned... conservation. I too do passive solar and super insulate / efficiency, and it really should be the norm (we (USA) need to get off the 'super-sizing' mentality). I am working on a plan for 'annualized solar' (Using summer to heat the soil under home). It is quite popular in Japan.

We have been able to get a consistant 66 mpg from a 4-person VW Scirocco Diesel conversion (low coef of drag & light) . It costs under $1000 and can be done in 8 hrs.

Some early Insight (2-person Honda) owners claim near 70 mpg Highway (but they drive them VERY slow... 50 mph). I have often passed them enroute to remote rural energy shows @ 80 mph using my AC in 52 MPG 5-person Passat.

I think the early Honda CVCC's got 40+ mpg, and I know several folks with Geo Metros that do also. I just can't stand the smell of GAS, (I was weaned on Diesel)

Old 04-07-2012, 05:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It's called "Big-Brother" or... EPA. They strap all kinds of restrictions and gadgets in a feeble attempt to reduce emissions, (at a huge cost to efficiency). No one bothered to calculate how much better on the overall consumption / environment it would be to have something simple and efficient.

As I have mentioned... conservation. I too do passive solar and super insulate / efficiency, and it really should be the norm (we (USA) need to get off the 'super-sizing' mentality). I am working on a plan for 'annualized solar' (Using summer to heat the soil under home). It is quite popular in Japan.

We have been able to get a consistant 66 mpg from a 4-person VW Scirocco Diesel conversion (low coef of drag & light) . It costs under $1000 and can be done in 8 hrs.

Some early Insight (2-person Honda) owners claim near 70 mpg Highway (but they drive them VERY slow... 50 mph). I have often passed them enroute to remote rural energy shows @ 80 mph using my AC in 52 MPG 5-person Passat.

I think the early Honda CVCC's got 40+ mpg, and I know several folks with Geo Metros that do also. I just can't stand the smell of GAS, (I was weaned on Diesel)
I agree with you. It is ridiculous that we cut emissions by a small percent per gallon but the vehicle ends up using more fuel negating the emission gain.

Energy efficiency and independence should be our nation's number one goal. it could usher in the next great era of jobs and prosperity in America. It could literally create millions of jobs in infrastructure upgrades, new technology, transportation, as well as new and upgraded technology for homes and office buildings.

I was encouraged by President Obama's initial goals for shovel-ready jobs and new energy development. However, he quickly sold out and let Immelt and Buffett create policy that benefited them, their companies, and their friends. (Buffett with his 11% Preferred GE deal and Immelt's GE TARP funds). In my opinion it was legalized transfer of wealth from tax payers to the billionaires.

It probably will take $5 or $6 gas to wake up the masses to start demanding an end to back door deal making that creates short-term profits for a few at the expense of the many and the future of our country.

Not long ago you could get a Civic HX that got low to mid 50s on the highway. I don't understand why it isn't available anymore because it had a clean emissions rating and airbags.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Get a bio-diesel and make my fueling stops at McDonald's and Wendy's for used cooking oil.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:56 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
I guess I would fit under "other" or "nothing".

I can walk or take my bicycle to/from work and walk to the grocery store, both are with a few miles of home so I could continue to drive without creating a great expense.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:24 AM

91 posts, read 199,615 times
guess i'd have to get an electric car at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive