U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 PM

96 posts, read 96,835 times
My main rules about colour for cars is that it has to be a colour. I don't like white, black or grey, they are just too plain for me. My cars right now are dark green, light blue and red. I loved it back in the '80s when they had two-toned cars. I had the cutest burgundy and beige Oldsmobile with burgundy pin-striping.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM

5,069 posts, read 9,900,048 times
I have a "dolphin grey" car; it's a metallic dark grey that almost looks blue under certain lighting. I never thought of buying a grey car, but it's nice. My previous two cars were white, and before that, a dingy boring grey. If I go back far enough, I had a beautiful fire engine red '73 Pontiac Firebird.

White actually shows the dirt a lot less than dark colors.

New cars these days don't offer lots of choices. If you want a prettier color, you're probably going to have to go up a couple of trims and spend much more. No thanks. Having a sky blue car isn't that important to me!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:40 PM

5,101 posts, read 5,737,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Most Popular Colors

Each year, DuPont Automotive releases its Color Popularity Report, a study analyzing and predicting color trends throughout the world. In 2011, white was once again the most popular color in North America, making up 23 percent of all vehicles. Black, silver, gray and red rounded out the top five.
2011 DuPont Automotive Color Popularity Report Percentages represent the color's share of the model segment. Rank Color % of Segment 1. White 23% 2. Black 18% 3. Silver 16% 4. Gray 13% 5. Red 10% 6. Blue 9% 7. Brown/Beige 5% 8. Yellow/Gold 3% 9. Green 2% 10. Other <1%
It has always amazed me that people buy white cars. To me, it is just incredibly plain. I suppose white being the most popular color is akin to vanilla being the most popular ice cream flavor. I would never buy a white car. I don't even like driving a white rental when I travel. It is just so blah.

For the past 30 years, every car I've owned but one has been silver with a black leather interior (Mazda Rx-7, MB SLK, Lexus SC430). The one exception was a gold Acura Legend. My wife and I have been shopping for a second family car for the past month or so, and we decided that we wanted something different this time around. While driving around town we noticed that every car seemed to be either black, white, or silver. (The prevalence of black cars surprises me given the heat and intensity of the summer sun here in Las Vegas.) Our choice came down to a burgundy with tan interior Maserati Quattroporte and a red (claret) Jag XJL with a two-tone interior that Jaguar calls truffle & cashew.

We selected the red Jag and drove it home from the dealership Thursday.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM

136 posts, read 281,494 times
My Honda Accord is red. I did not want another red car, but really wanted the tan leather interior, and it looked best with red.

I really do not like white or silver cars either.

My history of car colors:

Green
Brown
Black
Purple
Black
Red
Honda Accord Red 2011.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:28 PM

202 posts, read 292,903 times
My car is Silver and I picked the car not the color. Found the right car at the right time and price so I bought it. Probably would have bought it even if it was Peptol Bysmol pink.

My wifes car is Arctic Pearl White because she wanted it. When the dealer got that color in we bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive