U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 AM

8,223 posts, read 10,733,861 times

Advertisements

A 1994 Toyota Camry with 27,000 miles on it

Or

A 2008 Mercedes Benz with 180,000 miles on it?

It would seem the first choice is a no brainer,but I thought about the age of the car, and even though its only 27,000 miles on it,would it have rusty parts from age?

Meanwhile,number 2 has a high mileage,but would the parts still be newer than than choice #1?

In other words,which one would have better,more functioning parts,and which do you think would last longer?

Is a newer,high mileage car better than a low mileage,older car?
(Both are roughly around the same price)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 AM

38,690 posts, read 88,986,117 times
If this is a theoretical exercise, the answer is "I don't care." If this is an actual decision you're considering, I'd say pass on both unless they're so cheap that you could afford to run either into the ground.

Remember, the Mercedes-Benz may have a Toyota price tag now, but it still has Mercedez Benz repair bills.

As for age and rust of the Toyota, cars generally don't rust just sitting around, they rust because they've been exposed to road salt. A car that's been driven 27,000 miles probably hasn't been exposed to very much road salt even if every one of those miles was driven in a northern climate, unless maybe it was never washed during or after winter. A quick trip up a hoist will tell you whether rust will be an issue.

That said, a car that old even with low mileage will probably still need some conditioning such as belts and hoses and tires; these things can wear out just due to age even if they haven't been exposed to much road duty. Also, is the 27,000 miles a result of numerous 2 to 3-mile road trips to the store and to church and stuff like that? Because an inordinate number of cold starts per mile could mean premature engine wear.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
A 20 year old Camry has the similar price to an 08 Benz?
Not sure i'd buy either as the Camry although having few miles i'd wonder why so few miles also rubber and plastics dont age well.
The Merc would probably be the better choice as its newer and the high mileage denotes much highway driving that really doesnt stress the vehicle very much,unless of course it was a taxi..Mercedes are also brutally expensive when it comes to repairs..
Personally i'd keep searching for a mid to late 2000 Japanese product.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 AM

3,753 posts, read 9,838,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Or

It would seem the first choice is a no brainer,but I thought about the age of the car, and even though its only 27,000 miles on it,would it have rusty parts from age?

Meanwhile,number 2 has a high mileage,but would the parts still be newer than than choice #1?

In other words,which one would have better,more functioning parts,and which do you think would last longer?

The Camry. The old Camry's are extremely reliable, parts are dirt cheap and plentiful, and almost anyone can work on them.

The Mercedes - the direct opposite on all points.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Or

High mileage car can go for a longer distance,with less petrol,than a car with low mileage.So,I think,you should go for the car,with high mileage.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
Wouldnt you rather drive something like this?

2005 Toyota Camry LE (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2915550237.html - broken link)

north jersey cars & trucks - all classifieds - craigslist

Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 AM

There is this dealership in Philly that has these prices on the web,and I'm considering buying one of them.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A 20 year old Camry has the similar price to an 08 Benz?
Not sure i'd buy either as the Camry although having few miles i'd wonder why so few miles also rubber and plastics dont age well.
The Merc would probably be the better choice as its newer and the high mileage denotes much highway driving that really doesnt stress the vehicle very much,unless of course it was a taxi..Mercedes are also brutally expensive when it comes to repairs..
Personally i'd keep searching for a mid to late 2000 Japanese product.
Judging from the pic the car looks practically new,like it was Grandpa's car that stayed garaged.
I guess the mercedes lost value because of the high mileage,plus,again judging from the pic it looks like the side is dented,as if it could have been in an accident or something.

Either way,the car I'm choosing will be ran into the ground, I'm using it as a back up car.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 AM

221 posts, read 457,192 times
That series of Camry were the last really good ones built. In '97 they cheapened them severely and they've been lame ever since, IMHO.

"Rust" might not be all you need to consider: Things age in a car even if it doesn't get driven--and in some cases BECAUSE it doesn't get driven. So beware. I bought a '91 Maxima in the late 90's with only 45K on it and it ended up being a money pit.

Also, it's possible the odometer has been rolled back: If not by the dealership, then by someone else.

I won't consider a Mercedes at all. Their last decent product was the W124 series that stopped production in '95 or so.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 35,868,142 times
Neither one. A vehicle with far too few miles is just as bad, if not worse, as a vehicle with far too many miles.

The Camry was driven on average 1,500 miles a year and I am willing to bet it sat for a LONG time unused before being sold. That is simply not enough use to even begin to keep all of the various seals, gaskets and moving parts properly lubricated from the cooling to fuel to oiling system. On top of that, you always have to worry about the maintenance being properly done. Some people still doggedly stick to a mileage based interval even when they aren't using the car. For all you know that Camry could have 18 year old trans and coolant fluid in it and 5 year old oil.

The Mercedes averaged about 36,000 miles a year, which is very heavy use. However, that it happened so rapidly means it was almost certainly highway. While the vehicle has most likely been properly maintained, there are probably extensive issues relating to the suspension and other driveline components that you would need to address.

So, neither is a good purchase. If these were both Camry's I would say go with the newer, high mileage option as it will most likely have less issues. However, since we are talking about a Mercedes, that age and mileage is going to nickle and dime (meaning $50 and $100 dollar bills, lol) you on repairs. The Camry is the kind of thing that you may quickly find yourself needing to dump a lot of money into in a short period of time to basically rebuild it.

No matter how you slice it, the money either of these cars would most likely cost you over the first year of ownership means you would be better off just upping your budget and buying a better car to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive