U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 AM

1,025 posts, read 852,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
yep pretty much sums up the debate on STi vs Evo.....want a more raw car that is better on the track? Buy an Evo. Want a car that is still fast but is much easier to live with as a DD? Buy the STi.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM

834 posts, read 1,159,522 times
My opinion on the AWD/RWD choice is similar to what others have said in this thread.

If you just want a car that hooks well on the street, get an AWD WRX or similar car. They have enough horsepower and traction to get the jump out of the hole and keep the lead on a similarly powered RWD V8 in most cases, however, if the race goes past a quarter mile your in trouble.

If you are going to be heavily modding your car for speed, get the RWD V8 anyway, even for the street. You can make WAY more horsepower.

If you want a strip car, get a RWD V8. The advantage of the AWD is lost on the strip because you can make a RWD hook well enough to demolish a WRX, and you have way more horsepower potential.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM

8 posts, read 816 times
Give me AWD

Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM

4,925 posts, read 3,439,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
yep pretty much sums up the debate on STi vs Evo.....want a more raw car that is better on the track? Buy an Evo. Want a car that is still fast but is much easier to live with as a DD? Buy the STi.
Being a better DD is so subjective I merely think of it as a consolation prize handed out to the STi for getting beaten by the Evo. If you want the better car it's the Evo, hands down. You want to be softer on the road, you can get an MR and/or put on cheaper tires once the Yokos wear out after ~12K mi or just not be a wimp.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Being a better DD is so subjective I merely think of it as a consolation prize handed out to the STi for getting beaten by the Evo. If you want the better car it's the Evo, hands down. You want to be softer on the road, you can get an MR and/or put on cheaper tires once the Yokos wear out after ~12K mi or just not be a wimp.

of course it is subjective to any one individual but the consensus in general(been around the Subaru/Mitsu crowd for nearly 10 years), most people who have owned both will tell you that yes, the Evo is the better performing car, but if they needed to choose one to DD all the time and see limited to zero track time, it would be the STi. And that's not to say that the STi is a terrible track car because it isnt, but it's not as capable as the Evo on the track.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:53 PM

4,466 posts, read 4,905,289 times
Quote:
Quote:
...yet, the STi is actually faster on the track...

Top Gear Mitsubishi Evo vs Subaru Impreza Laps - YouTube

Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 AM

4,925 posts, read 3,439,404 times
Quote:
of course it is subjective to any one individual but the consensus....
Which is why I said I think. I do not care what you think the "consensus" is. I also provide an alternative to people who haven't had the luxury of owning both cars which is buying an MR (or just swapping over to Billsteins) instead of just assuming that all Evos are hard to live with on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
That Sti was faster then that Evo that day with that driver. It is going to take more then one measly youtube video to erase years of dominance that the Evo has had over the STi. But hey, it has better cup holders I guess.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post

Top Gear Mitsubishi Evo vs Subaru Impreza Laps - YouTube
i know the Stig was driving but IIRC, they were almost identical times, which means any variable could have swayed things. Just for the record, I'm a Subie guy through and through, but the stock for stock, the Evo has always been the better track car.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Which is why I said I think. I do not care what you think the "consensus" is. I also provide an alternative to people who haven't had the luxury of owning both cars which is buying an MR (or just swapping over to Billsteins) instead of just assuming that all Evos are hard to live with on a daily basis.

which is why I was agreeing with you when I said it is subjective.....that's called being in agreement.

Also, you are taking what I'm saying and going to extremes with it. Nowhere did I say that the Evo was a terrible DD or hard to live with. It's just that the STi is a bit softer which matters to some people who dont care a whole lot about doing track days.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 AM

4,466 posts, read 4,905,289 times
Quote:
i know the Stig was driving but IIRC, they were almost identical times, which means any variable could have swayed things. Just for the record, I'm a Subie guy through and through, but the stock for stock, the Evo has always been the better track car.
Why?

I keep hearing people say that, but anytime I actually see a real comparison, they post either close to identical times, or the Subaru is slightly faster, when comparing apples to apples.

It appears to me at least that people favor the EVO because it's initially set up more towards oversteer, which makes people feel like it's going faster and to some might be more fun, but I fail to see how that makes it subjectively better when it's no faster nor more reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive