Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,645 times

Advertisements

This probably sounds like the world's dumbest question, but I'm just curious if there's something I'm overlooking.

I'm a 19 year old who wants to move from Seattle to Denver. My parents, who live in Philly, aren't financially supporting me anymore, so I'm on my own. Luckily, I don't have too much to move. Just a few suitcases and my cat.

Driving seems like it would be my best bet, but buying a car is kinda complicated and rental companies don't really rent to people under 25. I could fly, but one-way tickets are $800+.

Are there any other options? Or should I just suck it up and pay for plane ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
How are you going to get around in Denver once you move there? Are you going to need a car?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
You can go via Greyhound bus for $157, this will probably be the cheapest option. You could also take Amtrak for about $250, it's a 20 hours ride from Seattle to Sacramento, CA train and 30 hours from Sacramento, CA to Denver, CO with a 4 hour layover in between. Neither allows pets, you'll have to make arrangements to ship your pet separately.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Most air fare Seattle to Denver if you book in advance are around $250 to $380. then when you get to Denver buy a car you won't be able to drive that distence for that amount.

A cat can be put in a small create and stowed under your seat on some airlines while others have a hold just for animals.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Most air fare Seattle to Denver if you book in advance are around $250 to $380. then when you get to Denver buy a car you won't be able to drive that distance for that amount.
Most airlines charge $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second and $100 or more for 3 bag and above. If your pet is your "Carry on Luggage" your other baggage fees will add up quickly.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,642 times
Your options are basically trains, planes, and busses. Unless you have to leave immediately, you can save money by booking a month or two out. I did a quick search of Amtrak, Greyhound, and a cheap airfare website, all departing (one-way) on June 4th, and found the following:

Train: Amtrak will run you $265 for a one-way ticket. It's 20 1/2 hours by train from Seattle to Sacramento, a 4 hour layover, then 29 1/2 hours from Sacramento to Denver. While this method seems long, Amtrak is a wonderful way to travel. You're treated with amazing scenery, first class service, and a quiet, comfortable ride. The staff is friendly, and trips aboard their trains enjoyable. Food onboard is expensive, though, so I would suggest packing sandwiches and drinks for the ride. The regular seats recline enough to sleep comfortably, and you'll even find a power outlet nearby.

Plane: Online, I found deals from all sorts of major airlines (Frontier, Alaska, American, United, US) ranging from $155-176 for a one-way ticket to Denver. This is the quickest method between Seattle and Denver. Be weary of baggage fees, though, as these could easily add up. Generally, you're allowed one carry-on bag and one hand-held bag (backpack, laptop bag, camera bags, purses, for example). Nowadays, most airlines charge for even a single checked bag, though your first one usually isn't too expensive, usually $25-50. The allowance for a checked bag is usually 50 lbs, and if you go over this, you'll get additional fees. Be sure to weigh your bag before you fly.

Bus: Greyhound's standard fare from Seattle to Denver, departing on the 4th, is $157 for a one-way ticket. Travel time is 31 1/2 hours. I've never ridden Greyhound, but I heard it's an acceptable budget form of travel. Personal space is what you expect from a charter bus, with seats that don't really recline much, and limited leg and shoulder room. Some busses may allow a backpack-type carry on, but again, don't quote me on anything Greyhound related. I don't believe food is offered on busses, so again, see about carrying on sandwiches and drinks. Busses do allow a checked bag to be stowed in the exterior lockers, under the bus, but I don't know their allowances, or any baggage costs. Information regarding Greyhound's baggage policy could most likely be found on their website.

If you were to buy a car in Seattle, and drive to Denver, it's a 1,370 mile journey. Averaging 25 mpg, and at $4.5 gallons of gas (two numbers I pulled out of my head, but could at least provide a reasonable estimate), you'd be looking at nearly $250 in gas. Again, food is not served in a car, so pack sandwiches and drinks for the journey. Expected travel time is 21 hours.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,645 times
@cab591

Wow! Fantastic information, the best yet! Thank you!

It looks like I'll be taking the plane because it's the only transportation, aside from a car, that will allow my cat. I wish the train did because that sounds like an experience in and of itself.

I'd still like to buy a cheap used car because luggage is free that way and I wouldn't have to use public transportation in Denver, but I don't know how all that insurance/registration junk works. And I'm pretty sure buying all that would cost me a fortune.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Do you actually know where in Denver you are going to live and are you familiar with the public transportation? It would suck to get there and realize you can't get anywhere without a car.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
The used car markets in the Seattle area and Denver are pretty much the same. So you could buy a car where you're at now and drive it to Denver, saving the airfare and baggage expenses if you were planning on buying a car in the near term anyway. I'd figure that $4,000-5,000 would be able to purchase a reasonable FWD car that will meet your needs for the trip and travels in the Denver area. Gasoline in the Denver area is less expensive than Seattle, at around mid $3.50/gallon or so today; a smaller FWD car should be able to get closer to 30 mpg (if not slightly more) for the trip, so well under $200 for fuel for the trip would be realistic.

While it's possible to do the Seattle-Denver drive in 2 very long driving days if the roads are clear, I prefer to do this as a three day trip. Much less stressfull, and IMO, safer to be more rested and alert for the distance. Plus, if there's something enroute that you'd like to check out, you can do so without losing your trip plan.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
...I'm a 19 year old who wants to move from Seattle to Denver

....Driving seems like it would be my best bet, but buying a car is kinda complicated ... I could fly, but one-way tickets are $800+.

Are there any other options? Or should I just suck it up and pay for plane ticket?
What are your connections in Denver, why would you go there? (I have lived 30 yrs in each place PNW & Colorado or nearby (WY, & NE))

Flight on SWA = $120 from Portland or $130 from SEA BAGS FLY FREE on SWA (iflyswa.com). Sometimes you can get cheaper, especially if your schedule is flexible.

I often fly to PNW > DEN for under $90.

$100 will buy you 574 miles of gas at $4.35/gal and 25 miles / gal. (It is about 1400 miles and 19 hrs of driving. You have to add 2 motels...~ $65 ea, and food ~ $10 / day (I nap in my car and do the trip in one day, not for everyone).
Driving estimate = $393.80 + depreciation on vehicle / repairs.

I would fly and use the extra $250 for some FUN. (/ moving$)

If you need a car in DEN, the prices are similar, (Den - SEA) BUT... I like to buy used cars in Dallas or San Antonio, I find them CHEAP and rust free there, and I like to go there to get some sun, (and see wildflowers next week). It is usually cheaper by AT LEAST plane fare and fuel home. (I love road trips; Did PNW - DEN 4 times last yr and many other trips too)

Other option... Craigslist ride and share expense. I Have done that too. (Need to be WISE), but it has always worked well for me. Never had to do an 'overnight' on any of my CL trips, I like to drive at night and travel partners can sleep while I drive and wake up closer to destination.

When you going?

I will be going to CO to arrive ~ June 16 in Ft Collins, I might drive, so I can keep a spare car in Colo (Mine are 50 mpg french fry grease burners, kinda loud and a tad noisy.) If I can get a cheap flight I will fly. (It is just for a one day event on 16th of June).

BTW: I had to leave home at age 16 and be on my own, so @ 19 you are in great shape!! It will work out fine, be smart, be flexible, be fun and have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive