Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

More important that discussing (or not discussing) finance options with the dealer is not discussing a possible trade-in that will accompany the purchase of a new car. Always treat these as two completely separate transactions. Complete your negotiations on the price of the vehicle you are purchasing before discussing a trade-in whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
since credit is nearly free, flashing cash does not get u the deals it used to.
been there done that.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
See if your bank, credit union, or insurance company offers a Car Purchasing service. You tell them what you're looking for, then they go out and contact local dealers and negotiate the best price for you. It's in their interest for you to get the best price on the car if they're financing it.

After you buy the car, pay off the loan in cash.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,060 times
the only part i dont understand from some of you telling me to get a loan is why? if I have the cash and as many say its not going to change the amount of the car.

To the others thank you for the info about how to negotiate, what not to mention and to stay away from the subject of finance till the deal is done.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
See if your bank, credit union, or insurance company offers a Car Purchasing service. You tell them what you're looking for, then they go out and contact local dealers and negotiate the best price for you. It's in their interest for you to get the best price on the car if they're financing it.
Why is that?
Don't they make more interest if you take out a bigger loan?
How do you know they are getting you the "best price" instead of a pre-negotiated one w/o shopping around yourself?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Why is that?
Don't they make more interest if you take out a bigger loan?
How do you know they are getting you the "best price" instead of a pre-negotiated one w/o shopping around yourself?
Right now, prime car loans are extremely cheap (2% - 4%), so the banks aren't making a lot of money if you overpay for the car. However, overpaying exposes the bank to two risks:

First, the higher the payment, the higher the chance you may default on the loan. It will costs the bank money to retake the vehicle.

Second, once they have the vehicle, they will now need to sell it to recover the amount they originally loaned you. If you overpaid for the vehicle, then they will sell it for a loss.

I've used this service before through my credit union and it saved me a bunch of time and research, and the price they got me was just above invoice. One of the advantages is they can learn all of the special rebates dealers have (which if you don't know the dealer will just pocket).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive