U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,967,124 times

Advertisements

The three were told to buy the worst car ever sold in America and hand it off to one of their co-host. The vehicles chosen were the Pontiac Aztec (mechanically a good car but horribly ugly), a four banger Mustang II, and a Yugo. One of the challenges required they go on a race track. At least with the Mustang II you can fit a Ford crate 302 CID engine under the hood and give it a new paint job. Nothing can beat the ugly off the Aztec and nothing can make the Yugo a decent car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,752,749 times
I have been in Yugos and Mustang II's, and owned an Aztek until I passed it on to my daughter...and while you are driving along in rather nice comfort in a vehicle that will at least get out of it's own way, you don't have to look at it.

They must have chosen a Aztek as the ugliest car ever to grace these shores, the AMC Matador, have all died and gone to the crusher.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,705,220 times
Ugly is a judgement made by the observer but does not affect the capabilities of the vehicle. I have seen both Azteks and Mustang IIs serve the needs of their owners in a reasonably reliable way. I have not seen a reliable Yugo.

American Top Gear is simply inferior entertainment as compared to the British original... but neither are objective auto reports... they are TV entertainment productions.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Ugly is a judgement made by the observer but does not affect the capabilities of the vehicle. I have seen both Azteks and Mustang IIs serve the needs of their owners in a reasonably reliable way. I have not seen a reliable Yugo.
I have, and a couple of them are racers.

A friend of mine built this one for E Prepared autocrossing:

http://www.novascotiascott.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/yugo.jpg (broken link)

they are, after all, just Fiat 128s under the skin and can be upgraded just as easily, as well as tapping into that car's extensive aftermarket.

I've also seen extensive numbers of modded and hot rodded Mustang IIs as they lend themselves quite well to upgrades. I'd love to build one, myself...

I've only seen one custom Aztek that I liked, done by GM themselves, using a V8.

I'd love to see someone really get a clean custom version built, now that they are cheap. They ARE quite versatile and useful, even if ugly in stock form.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,228,903 times
Quote:

American Top Gear is simply inferior entertainment as compared to the British original... but neither are objective auto reports... they are TV entertainment productions.

Did you watch the first few seasons of TGUK? It was garbage when it started out. And of course they're not objective. If you want a boring review of the same old crap then watch Motortrend.

Only reason why the Aztec won is because it was newer and in great shape compared to the other turd buckets. Kinda hard to get as much as the Aztec when neither the Mustang II or Yugo which cost half of what the Aztec cost when new.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,142,640 times
Quote:

I prefer the American version only because they actually have a professional racer driving the cars (Tanner Faust) and two goofy guys.
The BBC version even though the original only has goofy guys doing all the driving.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 AM

18,095 posts, read 16,624,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I prefer the American version only because they actually have a professional racer driving the cars (Tanner Faust) and two goofy guys.
The BBC version even though the original only has goofy guys doing all the driving.
I guess you forgot about the stig!!!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,142,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I guess you forgot about the stig!!!
Each show has a Stig. Are you saying the British version has a better Stig.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 AM

1,739 posts, read 4,821,790 times
That looked like a nice survivor Mustang II, it must have looked weird with silver/blue on outside and tan on inside. I guess they forgot Mustang kept up with the lowly 4 cylinders into the 80s.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 AM

18,095 posts, read 16,624,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Each show has a Stig. Are you saying the British version has a better Stig.
The british version has better everything. They do not have to pander to the big 3 like the American version does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive