U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:04 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,421,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwainp View Post
But it still want crank and ground straps are still getting hot.
Don't try to start it again, and have a mechanic check the starter. If the ground strap is well connected to the chassis but is still getting hot, it's very possible that the starter is defective (shorted).

Did you do anything with the power and negative leads leading to the starter? The battery must be disconnected before you do anything with the starter, and you have to make sure that you don't connect the ground strap to the positive side of the starter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 04:05 PM

5 posts, read 10,374 times
Can u put it in dummy terms lol

Old 07-19-2015, 04:09 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwainp View Post
Can u put it in dummy terms lol
Have a mechanic check your car, or at least one of the automotive auto parts where such things are done. Don't play with electricity near fuel unless you know what you are doing.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,374 times
I tried to turn it over and jump start the starter it tried to crank almost did then I stopped didn't won't to burn straps again.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 997 times
hi have a positive ground tractor get sparks when i hook ground up any reason why

Old 10-09-2016, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 827 times
97 Gran Prix.. I put new starter in, when trying to start , a red wire that goes into connection plug gets red hot.
To start the car we disconnected solenoid wire on starter, then crossed positive to ground , engine started, got home ... Now I need to know what made just one wire get hot, I'm thinking it some grounding problem

Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 709 times
Hi I have a Morgan with earthing via the chassis. Engine runs smoothly at rest and accelerates ok, but misses under pressure up hills and then cuts out. When it cuts out the battery wont engage the starter. But I have new battery and new earth straps to the chassis. Could this still be an earthing problem, if so how do I fix ?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 479 times
My 2009 ford freestar's dash panel dies out while driving, its now affecting wipers and turn signals cutting out too, whats wtong

Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM

4,076 posts, read 1,463,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Thank you so much for the explanation. Wish I could give you more rep points.

Does each circuit in a car have its own ground cable? Can two or more circuits share a common ground cable? If a circuit has a ground problem, is the cause the ground cable for that circuit only? Or can a bad ground cable in another circuit be the cause?
Grounding is accomplished in a variety of ways; through a cable or strap to a ground lug on the chassis. Another way is that the metal housing of the component is bolted directly to the chassis and that serves as the ground connection.

Which brings up the real point, which is that there are a myriad number of ways in which a ground can "fail".

1) Ground cable is damaged/cut (open circuit)
2) Ground cable is somehow shorted to a hot conductor (should blow a fuse normally)
3) Ground lug is loose at chassis
4) Ground lug is corroded at chassis
5) The part of the chassis the ground lug is bolted to is not well grounded to other parts of the chassis

Many others not mentioned here, there are tons of ways in which electrical system and grounds can fail. Extremely difficult to troubleshoot.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:45 PM

2,578 posts, read 682,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedog3539 View Post
My 2009 ford freestar's dash panel dies out while driving, its now affecting wipers and turn signals cutting out too, whats wtong
loose connection, a short , bad relay on todays cars you have miles of wiring in them and so many connections take it to dealer they have the equipment to trace shorts and bad connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or