Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
... what we do here is have the bus pick up every kid at his own home. No walking to a central bus stop for the whole subdivision. OH NOOO...here in America, the bus creeps along, stopping at EVERY house where there's a kid....
Where is that? I've never seen it anywhere I've lived (KS, IA, SD, WY, TX, AK) except for handicapped children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:07 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Joanna Cao---Welcome to the US and welcome to this message board!!!

In many states, vehicles are required to stop when a school bus has those stop signs extended, and their red lights are flashing.

I know that's been the law in Florida for over three decades.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
In many states, vehicles are required to stop when a school bus has those stop signs extended, and their red lights are flashing.
Check the laws for your state. In my state (NC) we're required to stop in certain conditions:
1) If it's a 2-lane road -- one lane going in each direction -- all traffic must stop. (Cannot pass a stopped school bus.)
2) If it's a 2-lane road with a center turning lane -- thus making it a 3 lane road -- all traffic must stop.
3) If it's a 4-lane road with no center turning lane or dividing median, all traffic must stop.

However:
4) If it's a 4-lane road -- two lanes going in either direction -- and the road also has a center turning lane -- thus making the road a 5-lane road in reality, then only the traffic BEHIND the school bus must stop. The cars going in the opposite direction can pass the bus.
5) If it's a 4-lane road with a center median dividing two lanes from the other two lanes, then only the traffic behind the school bus must stop. The cars going in the opposite direction can pass the bus.

I think a lot of people don't know the rules, though, and are nervous about stopping a passed bus in any situation. I live on a 4-lane road with a center turn lane, and I've noticed the traffic always stops (in both directions) for a school bus.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Welcome to America, Joanna Cao! I should warn you that the United States has the most MORONIC school transportation system on the friggin' planet! In every other nation, kids are taught by their parents to watch for other traffic and they manage to get to school just fine on busses that aren't painted bright yellow. Or have a bazillion red flashing lights all over the bus exterior. Or even a bar that swings out from the busses' front bumper. No, what we do here is have the bus pick up every kid at his own home. No walking to a central bus stop for the whole subdivision. OH NOOO...here in America, the bus creeps along, stopping at EVERY house where there's a kid. And of course, mommy doesn't always have her little rug rat ready, so drivers must wait behind all the flashing red lights while the kid makes his way ever so slowly to the bus. Gotta love it!!!
You make a great point!

When I used to live next to a school, high schoolers (16~18 year old) would get out of one class and had to cross the street walking through a painted walkway to the next class in a different building....now do you think they'd stop in a bunch and allow some cars to proceed? Nope, they straggle across in ones and twos making those evil drivers wait wait wait, sometimes 20 or more cars sitting, idling, waiting......and there was always one walking as slow as possible. It seemed like a concerted effort by the brats to 'time' their steps to make drivers wait.

And these kids are being train washed into the 'green' way.

Common sense and courtesy is no longer taught.....and is hard to learn apparently.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Where is that? I've never seen it anywhere I've lived (KS, IA, SD, WY, TX, AK) except for handicapped children.
WyoNewK, that's true in OH and IN. I work and deliver in those two states. I've seen (or been stuck in) traffic backed up clear past the previous major intersection behind a school bus as it stopped at house after house on U.S. Route 36 in suburban Indianapolis...

Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
You make a great point!

When I used to live next to a school, high schoolers (16~18 year old) would get out of one class and had to cross the street walking through a painted walkway to the next class in a different building....now do you think they'd stop in a bunch and allow some cars to proceed? Nope, they straggle across in ones and twos making those evil drivers wait wait wait, sometimes 20 or more cars sitting, idling, waiting......and there was always one walking as slow as possible. It seemed like a concerted effort by the brats to 'time' their steps to make drivers wait.

And these kids are being train washed into the 'green' way.

Common sense and courtesy is no longer taught.....and is hard to learn apparently.
Where I live, we have a busy street that I have to turn left across to get home. The cars some straggling along however they please, and there's always that one that just goes slow preventing me from going in between the gap. It's like a concerted effort on their part, I swear. Not being conceited or self-obsessed or convinced that I own the road, it doesn't really bug me. Like the high school students, those drivers have the right-of-way.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Considering the stakes involved, I'll stop anytime a school bus seems to be loading/unloading regardless of what signs or lights are in use.
$500 fine if you get caught passing a stopped school bus with lights flashing here in Quebec.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times
I seen some school buses just use there emergency flashers to load or unload kids. Traffic continues to flow.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,261 times
Quote:
Welcome to America, Joanna Cao! I should warn you that the United States has the most MORONIC school transportation system on the friggin' planet! In every other nation, kids are taught by their parents to watch for other traffic and they manage to get to school just fine on busses that aren't painted bright yellow. Or have a bazillion red flashing lights all over the bus exterior. Or even a bar that swings out from the busses' front bumper. No, what we do here is have the bus pick up every kid at his own home. No walking to a central bus stop for the whole subdivision. OH NOOO...here in America, the bus creeps along, stopping at EVERY house where there's a kid. And of course, mommy doesn't always have her little rug rat ready, so drivers must wait behind all the flashing red lights while the kid makes his way ever so slowly to the bus. Gotta love it!!!
You need psychological help, or at least anger management. It must be really difficult to be you, or around you.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:

Here in VA, we have SOME house stops...when there is no safe place to walk. You can't have kids walking in drainage ditches and such.

Most stops are group stops, sometimes groups so large that it takes more than one bus to pick up.

Nope, picking up each kid at their house wouldn't work...no way our 1200 buses could pick up our 110,000 kids one at a time....at least not in the time we have to do it.

BTW, those bars that swing out from the bumper (aka crossing gates) have saved a lot of lives. They are pretty effective at keeping kids a ways out in front of the bus...where they can be seen. Picture 2-1/2 or 3 foot tall kids walking in front of your tractor brushing against the license plate...you think you're going to see them?

But hey, you might approve of Earl's Big Idea....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fY1ApBDLDk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive